Switching to a lighter guage string.

stratofreaker

LOVE my PRS!!
I just bought a new P24 which comes with a stock set of .010-.048. Formerly, I was playing an old Strat with .009-.042 strings. Any pitfalls switching to a lighter set on the P24?
Tracy (aka Stratofreaker)

try 9.5, i use them on my cus 24's. Very nice in my opinion, when i went to 9's it felt to slinky and produced a very thin sound to me.

You'll need to adjust your trem claw screws to allow for the lower overall tension of the lighter gauge strings, MAYBE the intonation will need to be adjusted too, and even more maybe the truss rod too.

Just remember that you P22 has a shorter scale that your Strat ( 25" PRS - 25.5 for Fender ) so with the same gauge string you will have less string tension.

Just remember that you P22 has a shorter scale that your Strat ( 25" PRS - 25.5 for Fender ) so with the same gauge string you will have less string tension.

This is a good point, I use 9 42's on my PRS single cuts which have a 25" scale, these are the correct string size for these guitars, but for my Les Paul I use 10 46 for the shorter scale.... The 9 42's feel good on the 25" scale guitars... But I don't think they would feel right on a shorter scale... I haven't tried though....

I run 9 - 42 on all of my guitars including the 24.5" scale Zach Myers and SE Santana.
They feel good on them, but I really like them on my 25" scaled guitars better.

I play 11-46 and I don't have big ol' Popeye forearms or paws like Texas cowhand but 9's would feel like fishing line to me and sound too thin.

I run .012s on my guitars because I'm Spartacus.

No, I'm Spartacus!

On a more serious note, I use .010s on almost everything PRS, including my P24. I did have 0.011s on my HB w/ piezo, and will probably go back to that, it makes for a better acoustic sound through the piezo.

But I think I still have .009s on my Fender/Squier Mexi-strat, and that feels just about right - but a longer scale, as mentioned.

Hmm, I need to go figure out what I have my my Les Paul...

I had an accident a few years ago which ended up with both the pinky and ring fingers on my left hand broken and dislocated. I re-strung all my guitars with Ernie super slinky's (9-42's) as I couldn't handle regular strings. I stuck with them for two years until I decided my strength was sufficient to go back to a heavier gauge string. I use 10's on all of them now with the exception of my semi-acoustic which has 12's on it. During these shenanigans I never had to do a thing to any of the guitar set up's at all. Swapping from one string gauge to another and back caused no problems whatever.

Also, I can highly recommend playing guitar as a recuperative method after finger or hand trauma!!:congrats:

ZZ Top gets great tone with 7s.
I tried Extra Super Slinkies once back in the early 70s, too thin for me, 9s just feel right for me.

ZZ Top gets great tone with 7s.

I know!!, I also read about the light gauge stuff he uses, baffles me, but then again I think he doesn't do a lot of top string stuff, and the rhythm guitar in the later years sound a lot like a buzz saw to me, maybe the gauge has something to do with it.
?Maybe because Billy is such a blues based rocker he plays in the middle of the fretboard most of the time? He is definitely an anomaly, I've read so many times the pros use heavier strings to get better tone & tuning stability, 10s & up.

When I wrote that 9 42's are the correct size for my PRS Singlecuts, I mean that's what they left the factory with. String gauge is really down to personal preferance, but I do like to match the gauge to the scale length. Changing the gauge should mean that you should adjust the height and perhaps check intonation? Some heavier gauges will not fit the nut slots.... so the nut may have to be modified. Personally, I stick with the size the guitar left the factory with and accept that as part of the character of that guitar.

Count me in also for the 9 1/2s. Perfect blend of fat tone and playability on my cu24.

Only down own side is they are rarely carried in music stores so need to order ahead plus they are a bit more expensive.

Count me in also for the 9 1/2s. Perfect blend of fat tone and playability on my cu24.

Only down own side is they are rarely carried in music stores so need to order ahead plus they are a bit more expensive.

The 9 42's felt a bit thin at first, I love them now.. at least for 25" scale..... the other thing I forgot to mention is Nickel..... nickel really does it for me...... :)

Back