Sweet Spot Fret Buzz

miroman86

I have a sweet spot on the G-string 9th fret on my S2 Mira... always buzzing when I pick it semi-hard (my normal picking style). Is it common to have a sweet spot buzz? If the buzz is right there in the middle of the neck, what do you think I should adjust? Been adjusting the bridge the whole week... My neck seems fine with that .010 bow, and have the action set to whats stated in the website (4/64 on treble, 5/64 on bass)...

Try turning the truss rod in minuscule increments. This isn`t made out of concrete, so the stated adjustments are a guideline.

Check each fret position a few before and after the trouble spot. If you're getting fret buzz at only one fret, it's either a bad string or a high spot.
If it buzzes on a few frets and adjacent strings, then tweak the set up.

From a setup viewpoint the amount of relief needed might be greater or less that the recommend setting.
my CU24s play best with a very small amount of relief and 22 fret guitar seem to like a bit more.
I usually start with just being able to see light under the strings ( 7th fret ) with a capo on the on the first and fretting the last fret

Yeah, I would take a good hard look at the frets, see if there's one that's higher than the others. It should eventually wear down naturally, but a good guitar tech will know how to accelerate the process.

Or it might be that the one you're playing is lower/slightly more worn.

The guitar I'm talking about too is a 1-month old S2 Mira... Is there a chance at all that they missed leveling the frets?

I would say G string, 9th fret is the epicenter, and some buzz happening around it too, but not too much...

It's possible, rare but still possible. I got an SE cu24 that had two uneven frets and it was brand new. I had those two spots fixed and it's perfect now

A small sample size, but I was able to get buzz free action with 4/64 bass E and 3/64 treble E at the 12th fret no problem on my S2 and Cu24, with very minor neck relief. Just a long way of saying it's not a given you'll have a buzz sweet spot.

Sounds like a high fret to me. Is it only heard unplugged? How does it affect sustain? Are you satisfied with the action otherwise? Can you live with it until a fret level and crown are needed? All stuff I would ponder.

A small sample size, but I was able to get buzz free action with 4/64 bass E and 3/64 treble E at the 12th fret no problem on my S2 and Cu24, with very minor neck relief. Just a long way of saying it's not a given you'll have a buzz sweet spot.

Sounds like a high fret to me. Is it only heard unplugged? How does it affect sustain? Are you satisfied with the action otherwise? Can you live with it until a fret level and crown are needed? All stuff I would ponder.
Wow that action is lower than mine...

Yeah unplugged I hear it, i am also picking hard as I play blues, and you cant really control the feel hehe... buzz drowns if I'm on an amp, but I know its there, I can feel it... In terms of sustain, I think its okay, but I do remember having a dirty sound when bending. I did a minor check last night too of the fret levels, by putting a straight edge on 3 frets at a time and looking if it rocks back and forth, but it all seemed okay. Gonna try tonight adjusting the relief, maybe get it as straight as possible (or give it more relief). See how that works.

I appreciate all the help and comments from everybody btw!

Back