Studio Maniac Weirdo Amp Rig Thinking Out Loud...

There's nothing higher end that's perfect.

For times when the Mesa load box isn't good enough, a "better" load box isn't good enough either. Just mic up the cab and record for real.

Agreed - and I'm not looking for perfect. Just different. Or maybe more versatile. Or maybe just different.

But really, I have no complaints about the Cab Clone.

I am a member of The Gear Page and The Boogie Board. Between the largest musicians forum on the net, and the one just for Mesa users, I have not seen anything like "collective hate." In fact, I participate actively in Mesa amp threads at both those forums, (since I have 3 Mesa amps) and I'd say the remarks have been about 95% positive. Wonder where the collective haters are?

I am a member of The Gear Page and The Boogie Board. Between the largest musicians forum on the net, and the one just for Mesa users, I have not seen anything like "collective hate." In fact, I participate actively in Mesa amp threads at both those forums, (since I have 3 Mesa amps) and I'd say the remarks have been about 95% positive. Wonder where the collective haters are?

I'm sure there are folks who just don't know how to use a load box and get a decent sound. It's not difficult, but you can't just crank the amp all the way up and expect it to sound right, you have to work with it a little bit and understand how to make your amp sound its best.

There are those who can accomplish that, and those who haven't a clue.

The internet can be good - it can alert us to great new products. But one or two morons "reviewing" a product can trash it as well, and suddenly there's a bandwagon effect.

It's like the internet "knowledge" that PRS SEs all need to have their nuts replaced. Um...really...? ;)

Last edited:
I'm a loadbox fanatic and I'd rank the CabClone just slightly below my Palmer PDI03 and Rivera Rock Crusher recording units.

Mine is built in to my V25. I really should try it some time.... I've had the amp for a year and it sounds so good attached to speakers that I've never bothered plugging it in direct.

Mine is built in to my V25. I really should try it some time.... I've had the amp for a year and it sounds so good attached to speakers that I've never bothered plugging it in direct.

I don't blame you! There's nothing like an amp in a room for a full sound. But it's fun to experiment, and it's sometimes a life saver for me if I'm working very late at night on a tight deadline.

I play 4 times at church this month. Mostly electric, but last week I had to do acoustic so I took my Taylor. The next three times are electric though. I should take my V25 and try this instead of micing. Just have to remember to change my settings on the gain channel before I do. I've got a slightly tweaked John Petrucci IIC+ setting dialed up now, that if I accidentally kick it on, might get me excommunicated. Although, I'd sure light some fire in a few people the night I play with the bluegrass gospel group! :D

I play 4 times at church this month. Mostly electric, but last week I had to do acoustic so I took my Taylor. The next three times are electric though. I should take my V25 and try this instead of micing. Just have to remember to change my settings on the gain channel before I do. I've got a slightly tweaked John Petrucci IIC+ setting dialed up now, that if I accidentally kick it on, might get me excommunicated. Although, I'd sure light some fire in a few people the night I play with the bluegrass gospel group! :D

It's great to play out, even if it's all holy and stuff!

They have to drag me kicking and screaming to events having anything to do with religion.

They have to drag me kicking and screaming to events having anything to do with religion.

Les, I know some churches are into it, we don't do the kicking and screaming things at our church. :D

When I play at church, I'm usually playing in front of 1,000 people or so. So, by gig standards, not a bad gig. I don't get to jump up and down and scream though (see above. LOL) I'm the main sound man. I wish I could find/train someone else that was good, so I could play more. I have other guys that do it, but you have to have a musicians ear to be a decent sound man. Plus in our other building we had an Allen & Heath GL3300 and it was easier to teach "non-musicians" how to run that. Now I have an Yamaha M7CL and the mix of mixer/computer is way over the other guys heads. Those things can be intimidating to someone who has never even seen a computer DAW or other music based computer programs. The GL3300 has over 1200 knobs, buttons, switches and sliders, but I can explain every one and then it's just duplicated 32 times. Moving from one screen to the next to adjust monitor mixes etc. is tough for a casual user. Forget which screen you're in for a second and you just messed up badly... in front of 1000 people.

I'm always afraid of the lightning strike

Not me. I don't believe in supernatural beings throwing lightning bolts.

Well, except for my Hammer Of The Gods McCarty Singlecut, now there's a lightning bolt... ;)

Forget which screen you're in for a second and you just messed up badly... in front of 1000 people.

Not to worry. They're supposed to be all about forgiveness, right? ;)

Seriously, when I screw up a TV ad, I mess up in front of a large audience, too; and yes, I've done it!

Well said!

Thank you, kind sir!

Speaking of dodging lightning bolts, I had an EMG today for the nerve damage to my fretting hand. Kinda felt like little doses of "Oh, so you think there are no supernatural beings, eh? Well take THIS!"

ZZZZZZZAPPPPPTTTT!

Hahaha!

Here's hoping for a good prognosis!

It appears to be an ulnar nerve issue as suspected. Now I have to have an ultrasound of the elbow so they can observe the movement of the joint, see whether the nerve is being impinged by the bone, or some other obstruction, or is just bruised and irritated.

Then they decide whether it needs surgical repair, or can be treated medically.

The doc refused to give me a prognosis. He said he didn't like what he saw -- the left hand fingers' nerves that are involved are getting only 1/3 of the signal strength of the ones on the right hand. So he needs to see the ultrasound report. It might be that the fingers grow progressively weaker, or it might be fixable.

I'm not giving up. But I can see this thing is pretty much up in the air.

It appears to be an ulnar nerve issue as suspected. Now I have to have an ultrasound of the elbow so they can observe the movement of the joint, see whether the nerve is being impinged by the bone, or some other obstruction, or is just bruised and irritated.

Then they decide whether it needs surgical repair, or can be treated medically.

The doc refused to give me a prognosis. He said he didn't like what he saw -- the left hand fingers' nerves that are involved are getting only 1/3 of the signal strength of the ones on the right hand. So he needs to see the ultrasound report. It might be that the fingers grow progressively weaker, or it might be fixable.

I'm not giving up. But I can see this thing is pretty much up in the air.

That's not good to hear. Although, as you've said, better than the alternative had you not had the surgery. Keep your chin up. I'm not really a prayer kinda guy, but thoughts and good vibes headed your way.

Back