String buzz above nut

Ferrinbonn

Hi guys. I've had my CE 24 for a few weeks and I've gotten some string buzz between the nut and the tuner a few times on the A string when played open. I took me a bit to figure out where it was coming from at first, and I found that slackening and then re-tuning the string fixed it, but it came back again. Obviously, it's not a difficult fix, but I'm not sure what's causing it and if there's a way to remedy it permanently.

I still have the original strings on it, so I'm not sure if a new set will fix it up. Is this common with PRS guitars? Not sure if it's something to do with the string angle on the headstock.

Original strings?........... Had it for weeks?............ Hmmm.........

Make sure the hex nuts on the tuners are sufficiently tight. I had the same problem on an SE, and the fix was a quarter turn or less with an adjustable open end wrench. Also check and make sure the tuning knob is sufficiently tight (Phillips screw on the end of it).

Make sure the hex nuts on the tuners are sufficiently tight. I had the same problem on an SE, and the fix was a quarter turn or less with an adjustable open end wrench. Also check and make sure the tuning knob is sufficiently tight (Phillips screw on the end of it).
It stays in tune though, which is what is strange. I would think if there was an issue with the tuners, there'd be some tuning instability.

Are you sure the buzz is coming from the strings, and not from a loose screw or anything like that?
Yes, positive. The string is buzzing between the nut and the tuning head. Pretty weird, and it took me a bit to realize it wasn't a buzzing fret. Like I said, it goes away if I detune and retune the string and it's only happened again a couple of times, so I'm not sure what could be causing it. I'll try the new strings and see, but I wanted to check here if this was a known issue on this model or with these tuners.

Back