Sperzel tuners on Custom/CE

Cris_mas

Amateur Extraordinaire
Hello Everyone. It's been a while since i haven't posted, felt i needed your words of wisdom once again.
Well, to the point. Has anyone replaced the locking tuners (the originals) for Sperzel, in Core models? I ask this because my Mann/Schaller locking, installed in my 94' CE 22 in the 1st string is failling to retain the string on pulls or bendings. It's weird, never happened to me with other locking tuners and i'm a bit dissapointed/confused. I thought it could be for this reasons:

-String gauge changes, from 10-46 to 08/5-39 and now finally to 09-42.
-Bad locking procedure from my part: i don't fasten very tight the locking nuts, but in this case if i don't ,string slips and away it goes. Also, when i try to re tighten it, it gets cut. Hence, have to tighten the nut a lot!

Not sure what's going on, i've checked the tuner and it's not damaged nor sharpened. I do feel tho that the gear inside the casts are "loose" (all of them). I've tightened the screws that go through the tuner buttons with no effect (again, not too tight to avoid braking the frame).

Those are my reasons to think in changing to Sperzel, I've put them in all my former guitars (teles, super strat and other Frankenstein freaks) with great results.
Gotoh is my second choice. Would love to read your experience about them, if you had to purchase custom ones with non graduated posts, etc.

Cheers and have a nice weekend you all!

Have you reset the cam? Check to see if it’s in the right position. The smallest possible gap between the wing and cam is what your looking for.
Also, try pulling the string tight while turning the button. I wrap the high e string around my diagonal cutters to give it extra tension without slicing my fingers open.

Have you reset the cam? Check to see if it’s in the right position. The smallest possible gap between the wing and cam is what your looking for.
Also, try pulling the string tight while turning the button. I wrap the high e string around my diagonal cutters to give it extra tension without slicing my fingers open.
Oh, I need to explain, my tuners aren’t the winged ones. It came with the Mann/ schaller to Phase I conversion (as far as I understand)
It looks like a Phase II, please see the picture in the link State of the tuner

Would SE lockers have the same imprint on the back of the headstock, because they’re very good and I’m sure you could purchase them online.

Just saying.

Back