Son of a.....

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
b!t&%..... WHY, WHY, WHY???????! https://wildwestguitars.com/acoustic/prs-paul-reed-smith-private-stock-5186-tonare-grand If I spec'd a maple guitar - This would be it. Naturally, I don't have the $ to buy it. My whole Tonare search started this morning because I played a Tonare mahogany and a Cody Kilby last weekend at the 30th. Keep in mind it was a noisy environment since there were people everywhere and it was on the factory floor that I tried them. I liked the hog Tonare quite a bit. Then I tried the Kilby and I think I liked that a little better. I felt like the lows were more focused and tighter on the CK. I'm not sure if that's to do with the Coco back or???? It made me really wanna try a Tonare Grand with cocobolo. I think the only difference between the CK and Tonare is the depth of the body? Still, back to this maple beauty I ran into, she's an evil seductress. Beautiful. Anyway, it's all for naught. I need to build my PS electric. It's nice to dream in case I win the lottery tonight or something.

Hot damn! Just one masterpiece after the next. I LOVE the looks of that one. I hope we get to hear a tone report from someone on this forum.

b!t&%..... WHY, WHY, WHY???????! https://wildwestguitars.com/acoustic/prs-paul-reed-smith-private-stock-5186-tonare-grand If I spec'd a maple guitar - This would be it. Naturally, I don't have the $ to buy it. My whole Tonare search started this morning because I played a Tonare mahogany and a Cody Kilby last weekend at the 30th. Keep in mind it was a noisy environment since there were people everywhere and it was on the factory floor that I tried them. I liked the hog Tonare quite a bit. Then I tried the Kilby and I think I liked that a little better. I felt like the lows were more focused and tighter on the CK. I'm not sure if that's to do with the Coco back or???? It made me really wanna try a Tonare Grand with cocobolo. I think the only difference between the CK and Tonare is the depth of the body? Still, back to this maple beauty I ran into, she's an evil seductress. Beautiful. Anyway, it's all for naught. I need to build my PS electric. It's nice to dream in case I win the lottery tonight or something.

I would've bought this 20 years ago based on looks alone. I keep thinking about a "hog", but I consider it a secondary wood. I wonder why PRS doesn't build acoustic necks with multiple plis like other custom builders?

I wonder why PRS doesn't build acoustic necks with multiple plis like other custom builders?

They will if that's what you want.

Historically, the plywood neck was created back in the day as a strengthener before very strong truss rods came into use. The PS PRS acoustics are offered with 96 million modulus graphite rods that are far more rigid. There's no need for a plywood neck unless you like the look of it.

Holy crap! That is gorgeous. I tend to like the tonality of rosewood, but I wouldn't kick that one out of bed (or off the couch)!

Not sure why a world-class store wouldn't know that the Tuners are not Gotoh, but Robson.

Not sure why a world-class store wouldn't know that the Tuners are not Gotoh, but Robson.

They have a club with a bar attached to the store, not to mention a stable filled with Bang Stallions to take care of....... I'm sure it was just an oversight.

Because there are now "PRS-Robson" tuners made by Gotoh, and I believe that's what PRS uses - the website in fact says they use PRS tuners now. If memory serves, the deal was announced a couple of years ago, and was at one point on the Robson website.

My 2013 PS certificate says Gotohs as well. My earlier Tonare Grand US model was pre-Gotoh licensed Robson design. In all honesty, I can't distinguish between them except that PRS doesn't have the shafts of the tuners gold plated, they appear to be brass, consistent with PRS' other tuning machines.

Here's a shot of the back of my headstock with what are presumably the Robson-PRS-Gotoh tuners:

Last edited:
I don't see hog as a secondary wood, and there is no single guitar tone electric or acoustic the is the "only" tone

Because there are now "PRS-Robson" tuners made by Gotoh, and I believe that's what PRS uses - the website in fact says they use PRS tuners now. If memory serves, the deal was announced a couple of years ago, and was at one point on the Robson website.

My 2013 PS certificate says Gotohs as well. My earlier Tonare Grand US model was pre-Gotoh licensed Robson design. In all honesty, I can't distinguish between them except that PRS doesn't have the shafts of the tuners gold plated, they appear to be brass, consistent with PRS' other tuning machines.

Here's a shot of the back of my headstock with what are presumably the Robson-PRS-Gotoh tuners:

+1. I also know that there were some production issues with Robson being able to keep up with the supply. So I believe that could be a reason for the move.

+1. I also know that there were some production issues with Robson being able to keep up with the supply. So I believe that could be a reason for the move.

I wonder who Robson's getting money from for the licence?

Beautiful guitar. I'm not a maple guy, but I would play that!

Back