Familiarity Breeds...Improvement

László

Too Many Notes
The 1 3/4 nut and string spacing on my Tonare Grand PS has been something of an issue recently - when I got the guitar, it wasn't. And I wasn't used to playing the stiffer strings of an acoustic any more. I'd grown...weaker.

I realized I simply wasn't playing it enough. In fact, I was playing it only every so often. So I've spent time with it every day for several days, building my fingers back, getting my hands a bit stronger, reacquainting myself with the guitar and its nuances.

I'm also playing it harder; the guitar can handle it without compressing. It sounds great played softly, too, but it's nice to hear it open up and do what it's capable of.

Today I had my longest practice session with it in years. The hands are growing comfortable with it again. Not easiest, because I like bluegrass sets with light tops and medium bottoms for the tone. But the sound...man oh man. It's singing.

I could kick myself for not playing it more over the past few years, because it sounds magnificent and letting my hands weaken was negligent. It's going better now, thank goodness!

Gotta play it even more to reacquire the chops, too.

Last edited:
So great that you've noticed a difference within days rather than weeks. Must have been doing something right for the hands with the electrics / keys.

So great that you've noticed a difference within days rather than weeks. Must have been doing something right for the hands with the electrics / keys.
Seems logical...I'm on keys daily, and electric guitar often. So, maybe?

If it is a strength issue and you're playing acoustic at least a few times per week then you may notice improvement in strength even beyond where you are now in a few weeks.

Gotta include the usual caveat of don't overdo it and tweak something. Personally, I have to skate very close to that edge.

If it is a strength issue and you're playing acoustic at least a few times per week then you may notice improvement in strength even beyond where you are now in a few weeks.

Gotta include the usual caveat of don't overdo it and tweak something. Personally, I have to skate very close to that edge.
Good advice!

I'm still working on the strength, but dexterity is better, too.

Back