Fat bottom strings make the guitar world go round.

Greywolf

Luthier and Sound Sensei
As my PS Tonare Grand needed a string change, I decided to try the bluegrass string set 80/20 12-56 , as this guitar was custom made for Ricky Skaggs and I play in Open G a lot. String gauges are 12/16/25/35/45/56 As Paul notes in his vids on the Stephen Fischer's they are VERY sensitive to strings ... and Amen and WOW ! this one tells you when they are dull very quickly .. but with new they are amazing , these in open G really THUNDER now

If you play in Open tunings I'd highly recommend them
PRS strings are made by D'Addario and this set is available either way .. but hey .. let's keep it in the house :)

12-53 80/20's are factory recommended .. It now it feels like the similar tension to a standard set in standard tuning .. but has the deep / bright sound ... I'm happy .. I'll take her to the Cafe' tommorow night to start the Open Mic set

As my PS Tonare Grand needed a string change, I decided to try the bluegrass string set 80/20 12-56 , as this guitar was custom made for Ricky Skaggs and I play in Open G a lot. String gauges are 12/16/25/35/45/56 As Paul notes in his vids on the Stephen Fischer's they are VERY sensitive to strings ... and Amen and WOW ! this one tells you when they are dull very quickly .. but with new they are amazing , these in open G really THUNDER now

If you play in Open tunings I'd highly recommend them
PRS strings are made by D'Addario and this set is available either way .. but hey .. let's keep it in the house :)
The D'Addario 80/20 brass Bluegrass Set came on my Tonare Grand PS. I've found there's nothing I like the tone of better. This is also what came on my previous Core model.

For some reason that mystifies me, given the fact that my PS came with 80/20 brass, the PRS set is only available in Phosphor Bronze. I tried a set and they didn't sound as good with my guitar at all. I went back to the 80/20 after two days.

I play in standard tuning. What I've been using sound great.

Same here I tried a set of phospor bronze to warm it up , but they just didn't cut it . The bluegrass 80/20's will be on there from now on

I have used John Pierce strings on my acoustic guitars for a very long time. I love the snap that they have. I learned about these strings when playing the the bluegrass circuit. Many players were using them back then. I tried a set and was hooked.

I have used John Pierce strings on my acoustic guitars for a very long time. I love the snap that they have. I learned about these strings when playing the the bluegrass circuit. Many players were using them back then. I tried a set and was hooked.
John Pierce strings are Great!
That sounds interesting. Is the difference in sound, feel, or both?

I found Pierce strings to be very BRIGHT and yet still rich . I may have to throw a set on next change .
I'd been using Elixirs down here because of the high humidity , but tone wise they have to me always be just adequate.

That sounds interesting. Is the difference in sound, feel, or both?

I found Pierce strings to be very BRIGHT and yet still rich . I may have to throw a set on next change .
I'd been using Elixirs down here because of the high humidity , but tone wise they have to me always be just adequate.

This is how I would describe them. They are bright and full. I like the sound of them on my Hummingbird. They also last for a good while for me. I like the snap that the low E string has with them. They sound really good in an acoustic group.

This is how I would describe them. They are bright and full. I like the sound of them on my Hummingbird. They also last for a good while for me. I like the snap that the low E string has with them. They sound really good in an acoustic group.
I'll try a set next string change. What you're describing is the kind of acoustic tone I look for; something that will help the guitar cut through in a mix. Thanks, guys!

I’ve never tried 80/20’s on any of my guitars.
I find them clearer and brighter than Phosphor Bronze. You might like 'em, might not.

For me, Phosphor Bronze strings make a guitar sound 'hoarse' - that's the only way I can put it. I don't like the overtone structure as much. Took me a long time to figure this out, because so many makers use the Phosphors on their guitars from the factory.

I tried the Phosphors on my PS acoustic and it went from fantastic to meh immediately. I replaced the strings that day or the next with 80/20s. I think people underrate the effect of strings, but that's just me.

Back