Soldering nickel/silver covers onto SE zebra pickups

Duffy

On the South Bank of the West Branch of the Susque
I have decided to solder raw nickel/silver covers onto the zebra pickups that came stock in my brand new SE Custom 24, vintage yellow. I was inspired to do this by Shinksma because I am very impressed with the job he did doing so on his SE ZM, spalted maple. Check out the, "Show me your ZM . . ." thread.

So far I have ordered raw nickel/silver covers from Phily Luthier Tools and they are about to show up at our house. My plan is to install the raw metal covers "as is", or I may take some 220 sandpaper and gently sand up and down on the top of the covers to give them a "brushed nickel" appearance. I'm not sure yet. I'll have to look at the covers that I get. They may look uniformly great just the way I get them and compliment the trem plate and guitar just looking "raw". I want that raw nickel/silver look, but some light sanding might also look great and give the covers that cool linear brushed look.

My plan is to put the covers over the pickups and not use any type of wax potting or other attempts to quell any microphonics "before" I check them out just plain soldered on.

I am going to use a clamp and clamp the pickup into the cover for a tight fit and then prepare the soldering sites, lightly sanding a two small areas on the baseplate and two more areas at the corresponding areas on the long sides of the metal covers. Then I will apply a small amount of soldering flux to the soldering site and quickly heat a soldering site with my 40 watt Weller pencil style soldering iron. I hope that "quickly" heating up the soldering site will result in a concentrated area of heat rather than heating a large area of the cover and pickup using my 15 watt soldering iron, in order to get the site up to a high enough temperature to melt the "leaded" solder. I will wrap the area of the pickup around the soldering site with a wrung out, damp washcloth, used as a "heat sink" to keep the body of the pickup as cool as possible without getting it wet. This cooling technique may help to keep the heat of the soldering iron from damaging any parts of the pickup itself. I plan to heat it up quickly, apply the solder and get the heat off of there as quickly as possible.

Then I plan to check the aspect of the pickup in the cover and, if oriented well, with the screw heads centered in the holes, proceed to tack solder pickup base on the other side to the cover; hopefully doing a nice balanced looking job with the pickup adjustment screws looking properly aligned when viewed from the top of the pickup.

I'm hoping it will be this simple and I am going to try to do this with the pickups still wired to the guitar, just turned over with some protective material, such as a dish towel, under the pickup and surrounding area to protect the guitar top from any accidental dropped solder, etc.

If the pickups turn out to be microphonic at all, due to there being no wax potting between the pickup and the cover, I hope that the feedback is of the pleasingly nice sounding type.

Evidently all of the early Gibson humbuckers were unspotted as well as some of the currently made models of Gibson's and many other premium pickup making companies.

I think that the raw nickel/silver covers will look very decent on the SE Custom 24 vintage yellow, brushed or just totally raw. That dulled out look may be more pleasing to my eye than the sometimes unsightly bright and reflective chrome plating; if not, I'll order some chrome or nickel plated versions and install them.

Does anyone know if I will notice a tonal change as a result of the open coil pickups being under a metal cover? The pickup adjustment screws will be directly exposed to the strings, as before, but the pole pieces will be under the metal cover.

this will be my first time trying this mod, and I have no ideas whether or not it can affect the sound of the pickups. I understand that some players remove the covers with the understanding that they will be getting a somewhat different sound from the pickups. Whether or not there is any truth to this or not, I do not know. It seems reasonable that the metal cover, although probably mostly transparent to the magnetic field, could absorb or reflect some of the magnetic field waves; to what extent I do not know.

Anyway, this will be an interesting mod for me.

Note: I have some identical Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickups in various guitars, some of which have metal covers, and I cannot hear any significant difference between the open coil and metal covered ones. Does anyone here notice a difference?

Feedback appreciated.

I'll take some before and after pictures with my very decent digital camera - Nikon L810 or D5000 DSLR.

I'm hoping that this interesting mod will go well and I'm excited about trying it.

Good luck! This video is great if you care to check it out:

As far as tone goes, PTC told me covers DO in fact effect the tone, which is why metal pickups originally were never offered coverless. How much difference I guess is up to the ears of the beholder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I mentioned this before, but can't be sure it wasn't just a conversation that I had with myself in my head, or better, with a co-worker...

I think I hear a difference with the covers on my ZM, but I also can't be sure it isn't just a placebo effect, or more from the adjusted pickup heights (installing the new covers and pup rings surely meant I did not exactly return to the pickup height I had before).

Either way, I like the way my ZM sounds now. So the covers certainly didn't have a negative impact.

As far as tone goes, PTC told me covers DO in fact effect the tone, which is why metal pickups originally were never offered coverless. How much difference I guess is up to the ears of the beholder.

And maybe the ZM pickups when covered sound more like what the \m/ pickups are striving for, and maybe that's the tone I want? So the covers are something in the right direction, at least for my tastes...

Good luck Duffy, I'm sure you'll do a great job installing your covers. Upload pics when you're done!

Instead of 220 sandpaper, I used green brillo pads and they worked absolutely perfectly.

86_3588_1.jpg

I used the exact same nickel/silver pickup covers from the same supplier on my Custom 24 a few months back. I brushed mine with a grey scotch-brite (red was too coarse, and those green ones you get at walmart are even coarser). I did go ahead and wax pot mine, and I didn't notice a huge difference in tone. If anything they sound a bit warmer and less "harsh". I also added some flame maple pickup rings that I very lightly stained to match the binding. I'm very happy with the results.

I'd consider it to be a good hunting trip, afterall I was able to kill 2 ugly zebras for about $70. Money well spent.

Before and after pics:

post-92183-1386823021_thumb.jpg
post-92183-1386823034_thumb.jpg

Oh...and by the way, if you decide you want polished covers, you can use the ones you've already bought. they are solid nickel/silver, not plated, so you can polish the hell out of them and make them look like chrome without any fear of burning through. I only know this because I polished mine 1st, didn't really like it, so I brushed them.

I suppose those covers are in my mailbox today already, but I think I might need a couple more tips since a surprisingly good guitar tech at GC told me yesterday that soldering covers on my SE's pickups is a dangerous procedure that can easily lead to the destruction of the pickup.

I told him that I would like to just leave the pickups wired into the guitar, just take them out, disassemble them, and turn them over on top of a towel or cardboard - then do the soldering in place.

He said that I need to be especially vigilant "not" to let any solder slip inside the cover and get onto the fine wire windings. He says that this will immediately destroy the pickup. Obviously I don't want to destroy the perfectly fine SE 245 pickups.

In order to minimize the chance of ruining the pickups, my plan is to prepare the soldering sites before soldering and to use soldering flux and my 15 watt soldering iron to keep the temperature down while using easy to melt "leaded" solder wire. I plan to use a minimal amount of solder, and just tack the covers in place.

Possibly I can stand the pickups up on their side when I solder so that gravity will draw the solder down away from the inside of the pickup instead of letting it penetrate inside the cover. Does this sound like a good idea, or over kill?

I also plan to leave the six adjustable screws in the zebra coils and just place the cover over the zebra coils and solder it on.

Never having had soldered covers on pickups before I want to do a good job, without (kitty) footing around.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips that I should bear in mind when I do this job. I expect to do it here in the immediate future, as soon as I get the covers.

Tips appreciated.

Note: I do not intend to wax pot the pickups, mainly to see if I can get a more vintage tone that goes well with the Jazzmaster neck pickup in the Fender Marauder.

I'm looking forward to this project and think it will be a very nice looking, functional, final result if done correctly.

If this attempt fails I may buy a chrome Gibson '57 Classic Plus that is available in stock at the guitar shop near me; for $150.00. I anticipate that this pickup will go nicely with the Jazzmaster neck pickup.

Feedback is definitely appreciated before I tackle this job here, in the immediate future. I obviously hope not to ruin this perfectly good brand new SE Custom 24..

You are really overthinking this whole thing, sure, it's possible to do some damage if you aren't careful, but this is a pretty easy project, even for a beginner.

1) I didn't remove my pickups either. Cover the guitar with a heavy towel or cardboard and you will be fine.
2) These covers fit very tightly, I wouldn't be too worried about any solder getting inside.
3) A 15 watt iron won't produce nearly enough heat to get the job done. Remember, you need to heat not only the thin cover, but the very thick baseplate on the pickup in order for the solder to join them. (use LOTS of flux)
4) Make sure you are using 60/40 ROSIN core solder, not ACID core.
5) Lay the pickups flat on their face when doing this. Standing them up is NOT a good idea. You don't want solder running down the pickup and all over the surface of your guitar.
6) These cover fit very tightly over the pickup that you'll want to back out the coil screws a hair before installing the cover, then readjust them later. Test fit EVERYTHING before soldering.
7) Do any polishing/brushing of the covers BEFORE you install them and make sure they are clean before you solder them on.

It really is a very easy job, I'd never done it before and the whole thing from tear-down to re-installation took me about an hour. Just stay focused and you shouldn't have any problems.

Putting covers on is easy , you only need a dab ( small amount ) of solder in fact most covers are tight enough to just put it on without solder if you want to try them out first.

You are really overthinking this whole thing, sure, it's possible to do some damage if you aren't careful, but this is a pretty easy project, even for a beginner.

1) I didn't remove my pickups either. Cover the guitar with a heavy towel or cardboard and you will be fine.
2) These covers fit very tightly, I wouldn't be too worried about any solder getting inside.
3) A 15 watt iron won't produce nearly enough heat to get the job done. Remember, you need to heat not only the thin cover, but the very thick baseplate on the pickup in order for the solder to join them. (use LOTS of flux)
4) Make sure you are using 60/40 ROSIN core solder, not ACID core.
5) Lay the pickups flat on their face when doing this. Standing them up is NOT a good idea. You don't want solder running down the pickup and all over the surface of your guitar.
6) These cover fit very tightly over the pickup that you'll want to back out the coil screws a hair before installing the cover, then readjust them later. Test fit EVERYTHING before soldering.
7) Do any polishing/brushing of the covers BEFORE you install them and make sure they are clean before you solder them on.

It really is a very easy job, I'd never done it before and the whole thing from tear-down to re-installation took me about an hour. Just stay focused and you shouldn't have any problems.

Howling, my fiancée got them out of the mailbox last evening and I soldered them on last night.

They are really nice looking raw nickel silver covers and they went on perfectly, thanks to Shinks and his perfect sizing info.

The job was really a lot easier than I had worked myself up into thinking it would be. I was done in a half hour, as I have all my soldering gear organized and at hand. No clamp was needed and they fit tightly. they look really cool and I don't notice any discernable difference in sound. I would agree that these are very transparent covers. Phily Luthier Tools was more than expeditious in getting my order to me. As a result I ordered two more sets and a set of black rings.

I'm going to put my next set of covers on my first PRS that I ever bought - a mint SE Singlecut Tremolo guitar in vintage burst flame (a very beautiful SE). It has locking Grover 406c's that I personally dig a lot.

I left the pickups hooked up and turned them over onto a thick towel. A careful installation of the covers was completed in less than a half hour and I was done and the area was all cleaned up within a half hour.

The final outcome yielded a guitar that has a lot of class with the covers blending into the color scheme very well, and no "unsightly" gleaming chrome. The covers look right at home and the guitar sounds remarkably nice thru my Marshall DSL40C combo amp, stock.

I'm really glad I followed Shinks lead and saved some money, as well as some great sounding pickups, by just installing the really cool raw covers that I expecially dig the vibe of.

Thanks for the ideas Shinks. I was done with the job by the time I read your post Howling, but it is all solid info.

I really dig the vibe of this SE Custom 24, vintage yellow. I will have to get some pictures up.

I used my 40 watt Weller soldering iron and it made quick work of heating up the baseplate and cover.

I can't overemphasize how good these raw nickel silver covers look on the guitar. I agree that they are very transparent and this guitar can "scream" or whisper thru my Marshall DSL40C combo, stock.

I can't wait to start on my SE Singlecut that I'm going to put black pickup rings on, along with another set of the raw nickel silver covers.

That will leave me with one extra set of raw nickel silver covers to install on a guitar yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Howling, my fiancée got them out of the mailbox last evening and I soldered them on last night.

They are really nice looking raw nickel silver covers and they went on perfectly, thanks to Shinks and his perfect sizing info.

The job was really a lot easier than I had worked myself up into thinking it would be. I was done in a half hour, as I have all my soldering gear organized and at hand. No clamp was needed and they fit tightly. they look really cool and I don't notice any discernable difference in sound. I would agree that these are very transparent covers. Phily Luthier Tools was more than expeditious in getting my order to me. As a result I ordered two more sets and a set of black rings.

I'm going to put my next set of covers on my first PRS that I ever bought - a mint SE Singlecut Tremolo guitar in vintage burst flame (a very beautiful SE). It has locking Grover 406c's that I personally dig a lot.

I left the pickups hooked up and turned them over onto a thick towel. A careful installation of the covers was completed in less than a half hour and I was done and the area was all cleaned up within a half hour.

The final outcome yielded a guitar that has a lot of class with the covers blending into the color scheme very well, and no "unsightly" gleaming chrome. The covers look right at home and the guitar sounds remarkably nice thru my Marshall DSL40C combo amp, stock.

I'm really glad I followed Shinks lead and saved some money, as well as some great sounding pickups, by just installing the really cool raw covers that I expecially dig the vibe of.

Thanks for the ideas Shinks. I was done with the job by the time I read your post Howling, but it is all solid info.

I really dig the vibe of this SE Custom 24, vintage yellow. I will have to get some pictures up.

attachment.php

Duffy, that looks great, and I'm glad my postings encouraged you to do the mod. Yes, it's all very easy, once you get over any trepidation!

Those raw silver covers look really nice. They really match the trem-bridge very well!

Duffy, that looks great, and I'm glad my postings encouraged you to do the mod. Yes, it's all very easy, once you get over any trepidation!

Those raw silver covers look really nice. They really match the trem-bridge very well!

Thanks, Shinksma, I appreciate that and your ideas, feedback, and pointers definitely were encouraging. Thanks to everyone else as well. You guys have a lot of great ideas.

I may have another candidate for the set of raw nickel silver covers that I have on hand.

I have an SE Santana in Santana Yellow hanging right here on the wall that I got a couple months ago new. I don't mind the zebras on it, but I have never been a fan of zebra pickups. Therefore, I might put my last set of raw nickel/silver covers on my Santana.

Then I'll order another two sets because they are "very" inexpensive, to have on hand for another two guitars. Which ones? To be determined in the future, but I have a beautiful SE Standard in a dark stained solid natural mahogany plain top that would definitely look good with some metal covers. I have never seen another SE Standard. I posted some pictures of it in another thread but can post some here as well, if anyone is concerned.

The Standard has a JB bridge pickup and I have not decided if I want to put the stock SE bridge pickup that I got with it back in. It came to me with the JB already in it. I will have to play this some more and compare it to my Singlecut that probably has similar pickups in it and decide which one I like the sound of best.

The JB can seem very bright, which can be a good thing. A more mellow but hot pickup is also nice; like the Dimarzio chrome covered SuperDistortion that I custom ordered from Dimarzio. I have the SuperDistortion in an LP and it sounds great (bridge) and is far from distorted sounding. It is strong in the mids and has high output. Plugged into my Marshall DSL40C, on the clean/crunch channel setting, it drives the amp into a beautiful natural overdrive at very moderate volume - which I dig, because I don't have to crank it up to get that same type sound.

The SuperDistortion is a great sounding pickup for strong mids that works great with overdrive and keeps the sound together without a lot of treble shriek. I suppose in a band you would want that treble presence, but for a stay at home player like me, I don't have to break thru to the front of the sound for a good lead tone presence.

The guy that owned my SE Standard before me was a regularly gigging musician, so he may have thought he needed the brightness of the JB. I'll have to check it out and decide what I think about the JB and how treble heavy it sounds thru my rigs.

Personally, I think I will put the stock SE pickup back in it and use the JB elsewhere.

Any opinions? Put the stock SE Standard bridge pickup back in there, or leave the JB and put a cover on it?

Last edited:
Back