Soapbars???

kes7u

Wife's husband and Dog's dad
I was perusing the Dealers' section and saw a run of 594 soapbars incoming from BGs.

I've never played a soapbar equipped guitar. Can you please educate me about them and their sonic character as they would relate to a higher gain humbucker? (Or contrasted to any other humbucker for that matter)

Thank you for your time!
Kevin

Not as crisp and snappy as a single coil. I'd say brighter and more transparent than a humbucker. They do exhibit some 60 cycle hum, like a traditional single coil pick up. They have a little of the twang you'd get with a single coil, but more mid-range. Kind of thick, grunty sounding. They clean up great when you roll back the volume, and tone.

Not as crisp and snappy as a single coil. I'd say brighter and more transparent than a humbucker. They do exhibit some 60 cycle hum, like a traditional single coil pick up. They have a little of the twang you'd get with a single coil, but more mid-range. Kind of thick, grunty sounding. They clean up great when you roll back the volume, and tone.

Thank you for all of that. VERY interesting. I think that may have just enough of the single coil sound for me.

Kevin

Fat like a humbucker but cleaner through the midrange. They tend to be noisy, which some people attribute as part of their charm.

Yeah yeah...that's all great info. Still, it all means the same thing...get a guitar with P90s!!:D

Keep in mind PRS has altered the soapbars they use over the years - the ones in current 594s are apparently not as high gain as the ones in, say McCarty Soapbar models from 2007/2012 (like my McKorina Soapy Brazzy).

I certainly like the soapbars in my McKorina, and suspect I would also like the soapies in the 594 run - I think I have a relatively wide palate for pickup types, recognizing the differences and happy to play with them all.

I had some spare time today and no one else was home, so I got out the Petaluma special and the extension cab and played my herd.

The “Texas Special” single coils were great!

The PAF’s were so creamy and fun.

But man alive the p90’s in an S style Red Alder body, that thing is a beast. You open them up and she becomes very dirty and such fun to play. They really push the tubes! Happy times.

My p90 loaded guitar blows my PAF loaded guitar away! But they’ve got different tones and I appreciate them both.

Another wee video I’ve watched several times and what a sound -

Yeah yeah...that's all great info. Still, it all means the same thing...get a guitar with P90s!!:D

They can definitely be a lot of fun!

They're worth a try, for sure! I've had a bunch of different sets (true P-90 & noiseless) in a few different guitars, but they were never quite right for me, so I always ended up selling them.

If you're unsure about them, pick up a used SE with soapbars. The import P90's are ridiculously good and it won't cost you much.

yagguZD.jpg

Leslie says it all

I have both: a 594 with P-90s, and a 594 with humbuckers. I did a song where I recorded them doing a little solo back-to-back to demonstrate the differences, after I got them.

I’ve posted this before. Here’s the link:

https://soundcloud.com/lschefman/messya-deux-v2

P-90s can have a ton of clarity, or depending on how you set the amp, they can overdrive an amp (or pedal) nicely. They can have more warmth than a humbucker; vintage sounding P-90s like on the 594 are warmer than the P-90s that used to be available on McCartys and CU22 Soapbars. However, there are also bright, crisp P-90s that have more top-end.

A lot depends on the guitar, the pickup and how it’s wound, etc.

The rhythm guitar is a very light crunch done with the 594 Soapbar. Obviously it sounds different from the solo, it’s brighter and cleaner; but I mixed it pretty low.

Both of these solos were done playing through a PRS DG30 amp. I may have used an OCD or Xotic BB set for very low gain, mostly as a boost, I honestly don’t remember. Bridge pickups. The volume knobs on the guitar were set at about 7-8, the tone knobs around 8-9.

P-90s are a hot single coil pickup; they will hum in an environment with lots of EMI/RFI, but you can always turn and find a place to face where the noise is minimized. When both pickups are on, they tend to cancel out each other’s hum.

Yes, I know the playing sucks, don’t remind me.

Last edited:
Back