SO did wood pickup rings go the way of the dodo??

Personally, I like them with the right top. I prefer them with earth tone or natural finish tops. Regarding breakage, only use ones where the grain runs the length of the ring; they are much stronger. Regarding tone, I haven't the slightest idea if they realistically change it, but I think you'd have to have elephant ears to detect it.

Last edited:
Ya know, I distinctly remember walking to school with my sisters one day when I was about eight. We kept hearing a flapping sound because it was a windy day. We wondered what it was until my oldest sister told me it was my ears. I`ll be darned if she wasn`t right!

I'd like to say I love them. But, I ordered a set back in April for my 408.........still waiting.

I'm not gonna order them. Holiday season is coming, and I need a new dremel anyway.... so I'm asking the family for that, plus a variety of 1/4" thick planks. All 5"x 24":
hard maple
bubinga
purpleheart
ebony

and I'm gonna make some rings for my 408. Whichever looks best on my guitar (Autumn Sky flame maple) is the pair I'll install, if they come out any good. I plan on a couple pairs from the maple planks, with different finishes. I figure the bubinga or purpleheart would look great as a 'match' for the fretboard. A natural finish on the maple will be the closest I get to the existing white plastic rings (which IMO look very good), while some sort of oil rub might get them close to the binding color.

A little wood carving project will be a good way to while away some winter days.

Personally, I like them with the right top. I prefer them with earth tone or natural finish tops. Regarding breakage, only use ones where the grain runs the length of the ring; they are much stronger. Regarding tone, I haven't the slightest idea if they realistically change it, but I think you'd have to have elephant ears to detect it.

Anyone caught tap-tuning a set of wooden pickups rings gets a slap in the face from me STAT. They just look bada$$.

Anyone caught tap-tuning a set of wooden pickups rings gets a slap in the face from me STAT. They just look bada$$.

The resonance of the plastic or wood would be highly damped by being screwed down to the guitar's top in any case. However, ya wouldn't believe the tiny little details that the best microphone manufacturers attend to when designing their microphones. On a condenser mic, the number of partially drilled holes on the tiny backplates matter. The shape of the interior of the mic matters. The shape of the head basket wire matters. On small diaphragm condensers, it matters whether the end of the mic body near the diaphragm is rounded off or beveled, and the shape of the ports matter.

These are tiny things! A pickup is, for better or worse, a microphonic device. So little things will affect it.

On my old CU22 Soapbar, one of the plastic pickup covers got a tiny bit loose, and caused a really strange warbling resonance when the guitar was strummed until I found and corrected it. This was microphonics at work. I had a Rickenbacker Petty model, and as you might know, Ricks come with a lower pick guard and an upper one. They're made of a lucite-type plastic. The upper one on mine was defective, and Rick wouldn't replace it until I sent the old one back (they are VERY weird to deal with). So I took it off the guitar and sent it back.

The guitar sounded noticeably different simply from taking off this piece of plastic!

I'm not saying that you hear the tone of plastic or wood rings -- I have no idea, and they'd be highly damped by the top, as I said earlier. But it's possible. You're mounting a microphonic device onto a material with different resonant properties with wood vs. plastic. It'd be interesting to see the waveforms in some of the audio software that's out there and have visual/measurement confirmation one way or the other.

Last edited:
The resonance of the plastic or wood would be highly damped by being screwed down to the guitar's top in any case. However, ya wouldn't believe the tiny little details that the best microphone manufacturers attend to when designing their microphones. On a condenser mic, the number of partially drilled holes on the tiny backplates matter. The shape of the interior of the mic matters. The shape of the head basket wire matters. On small diaphragm condensers, it matters whether the end of the mic body near the diaphragm is rounded off or beveled, and the shape of the ports matter.

These are tiny things! A pickup is, for better or worse, a microphonic device. So little things will affect it.

On my old CU22 Soapbar, one of the plastic pickup covers got a tiny bit loose, and caused a really strange warbling resonance when the guitar was strummed until I found and corrected it. This was microphonics at work. I had a Rickenbacker Petty model, and as you might know, Ricks come with a lower pick guard and an upper one. They're made of a lucite-type plastic. The upper one on mine was defective, and Rick wouldn't replace it until I sent the old one back (they are VERY weird to deal with). So I took it off the guitar and sent it back.

The guitar sounded noticeably different simply from taking off this piece of plastic!

I'm not saying that you hear the tone of plastic or wood rings -- I have no idea, and they'd be highly damped by the top, as I said earlier. But it's possible. You're mounting a microphonic device onto a material with different resonant properties with wood vs. plastic. It'd be interesting to see the waveforms in some of the audio software that's out there and have visual/measurement confirmation one way or the other.

"Tasty pickup rings!"

Show me some isolated metrics and I'll get very interested! My experience is that my 408 rings alter MY TONE. They bring it way up!

Show me some isolated metrics and I'll get very interested! My experience is that my 408 rings alter MY TONE. They bring it way up!

How do they do on the neck pickup? When I run the 408 into an amp set for high gain, the neck pup gets a kind of honking, nasal quality about it. I'd kinda like that to open up a bit.

I like this one!!
You might consider skew-or-crossgrain laminating the underside of your wood mounting ring for strength.

The 408 rings are so much more stout in design, they look absolutely killer in wood. I've got curly maple 408 rings on my PS 4616. It's a sure thing.
IMG_5027.jpg

Back