SO did wood pickup rings go the way of the dodo??

Parralax view

I tried to like them. I tried them on my cherry burst McCarty, all I got was heartbreak and broken rings, even after almost surgical care in installing them. I reverted back to the standard cream plastic ones which it has worn ever since. I just gave up. Got them beautifully finished and ready and the slightest mis step and POP they went. Twice. Do people still successfully mount these?? I know they were a rage for a while.

I'm in love with rosewood pickup rings. I have them on 3 of my guitars. I've worried about breaking them but never have.

Are you buying or making them?

I have them on 4 of mine. I like them. Haven't broken one yet. Been about 8 years now. 4 sets, 8 years, 0 breaks, not a bad record.
Here are two of them:
Nov%20photos%20020_zps8sjzmcnj.jpg

PRSH will be happy you don't have them. He doesn't like them.

Liked having them on my first Custom 22 until it took a dive off a stand which snapped both of them. But that's to be expected. They just cost too much to take the risk again.

There can be a lot of pressure being exerted on pickup rings, and ultimately wood will cave and warp under such conditions. I remember the guy who made me my first set was very honest and up front. "You'll love the way they look, but they won't last that long."

I like the plastic rings. The tops pop and work better with the glossy plastic than they do with the duller wood ones I've seen.

Just my two cents.

I like the plastic rings. The tops pop and work better with the glossy plastic than they do with the duller wood ones I've seen.

Guess it all depends on the top and the wood used for the ring...IMO the right combo adds something special...

Tosca, your guitar is beautiful, and those are hands-down the nicest wood rings and knobs I've ever seen.

But I'd truly prefer the plastic ones, even on your superb instrument. I think it's a texture and gloss thing. I realize I'm weird.

Your guitar by the way, has one of the coolest looking finishes and tops I've laid eyes on!

Last edited:
Tosca, your guitar is beautiful, and those are hands-down the nicest wood rings and knobs I've ever seen.

But I'd truly prefer the plastic ones, even on your superb instrument. I think it's a texture and gloss thing. I realize I'm weird.

Your guitar by the way, has one of the coolest looking finishes and tops I've laid eyes on!

Thanks for you nice comments Les...and I totally get the preference. I decided to go with wood "accessories" for a couple of my guitars (BRW in this case)...maybe not the most practical for live/gig use...but just a nice organic tactile feel I enjoy when recording or playing for my own amusement.

Thanks for you nice comments Les...and I totally get the preference. I decided to go with wood "accessories" for a couple of my guitars (BRW in this case)...maybe not the most practical for live/gig use...but just a nice organic tactile feel I enjoy when recording or playing for my own amusement.

The guitar is so cool, on so many levels -- I am hypnotized by that finish every time I see it!

The guitar is so cool, on so many levels -- I am hypnotized by that finish every time I see it!

I nearly faint every time I see his guitar. I never cared for the wood knobs though, not sure why. I'm kind of picky about the knobs.

You might consider skew-or-crossgrain laminating the underside of your wood mounting ring for strength.

The 408 rings are so much more stout in design, they look absolutely killer in wood. I've got curly maple 408 rings on my PS 4616. It's a sure thing.
IMG_5027.jpg

This is one of the few subjects I'm all the way on, usually I have a strong opinion on one side or another but I like it all. Ivory plastic=classic, black plastic=dark retro, rosewood=classy cadillac.
I even like when they can match the grain and color to the top so it makes the pups look like they have a smaller profile.

These examples are just OK (you really have to match it well to make it look good) but I could not find the pic of the PS I saw a while back that I am thinking of. It was a charcoal HB and the rings and knobs were matched perfectly, awesome looking piece take my word for it.

Last edited:
The ones posted by tosca and viper look stunning. Might have to consider that for my 408, and match the color to the binding

I absolutely loved how these rings and the top match. Honestly, I've never seen such a beautiful match. I'd love to see more pics of this guitar.
Believe me, the PS that I mentioned (*that I can't find a picture of) puts that match to shame.

I love mine! Recently swapped out my Rotary for a 3 way with a rosewood tip as well :)

Last edited:
I had the maple ones on mine for a while. Cracked one on the mounting hole, still worked, but they were thicker than plastic rings, and gave me even less ability to adjust pickup height. I went back to plastic and never looked back.

There`s a guy in Florida who hand cuts them. His name is Phil Henderson. I`ve bought 2 sets recently. Aside from being beautiful, I think they change the sound of the guitar for the better. Just my dos centavos.

Back