Are PRS branded pickup rings the only ones that will fit an SE?

awake69

Hi all!

I'm a newbie to this forum and figured this would be the best place to get the info I need.

I recently got an insane deal on a PRS SE Custom 24 Floyd. It's a Guitar Center exclusive (I think) as it has a quilted black top with white binding on the body, neck and headstock.

I already swapped out the black knobs with the clear/black lampshade knobs from PRS. I'd like to swap the black pickup rings for white/ivory. I've found some PRS branded rings on the Bay and Reverb, but they seem rather pricey (from $27 and up) for plastic pickup rings. I tried a set from Allparts, but the bridge ring was WAY too high.

Can anyone recommend a lesser expensive set of pickup rings that will fit nicely? Preferably non-slanted if at all possible.

I love this guitar and I just think the lighter rings would make this finish "pop".

Last edited:
Just eyeballing mine: it looks like most flat rings would fit. But I think you'd need to get two pairs and use neck rings in both positions. A second set from Allparts shouldn't be that expensive.

I have allparts black ones on my Singlecut. There are different heights for trem vs non trem. Maybe you got wrong type?

My 2019 SE Custom 22 Semi-Hollow came with cream colored pickup rings, matching Gibson/USA standard humbucker size for screw hole spacing, NOT Metric/Asian. I don't know if ALL PRS SE guitars are so-equipped.

I replaced the rings with Gibson-size black rings and put standard USA chrome covers over the confused zebra-coil pickups. To my taste, looks much better now.

48844185143_8e0886a3ee_o.jpg

This is interesting, because my SE HB II (made in China) pup rings are bigger than USA Gibson rings: bigger overall, and bigger screw spacing. I didn't compare yet to typical import PUP rings but my hunch is they'll match.

The SE HB II rings are tapered front to back, but the taper is more than necessary so the pups are still angled relative to the strings. Easy enough fix, though. But I'm considering either black plastic, or flamed maple to accent the binding. Normally I'd avoid wood pup rings, but the flamed maple would look so good with the binding.

If you rate your guitar as worth than I recommend pu-rings by Crazyparts for any PRSi.

pickup-rings for vibrato guitars: http://www.crazyparts.de/hailwood/pickuprings/pickuprings-for-prs-tremolo/index.php
pickup-rings for stoptail guitars: http://www.crazyparts.de/hailwood/pickuprings/pickuprings-for-prs-stoptail/index.php

Due to the fact my PRS guitar hasn´t pu-rings, I procured stuff at Crazyparts for giving my PRS little more individuality.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just a heads up that the Crazy Parts pickup rings are slightly more narrow (1-2mm) and taller (1-2mm) than what's equipped on a PRS SE. I bought the maple ones and used lacquer to darken it and match the binding on the body.

I actually noticed this when i went to replace the rings on my SE that they only come in one height so its a bit confusing.

Cheap generic one can be found on amazon for less than $8 a pair. Look at the schematics that show the size and pay special attention to the screw distances.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but just a heads up that the Crazy Parts pickup rings are slightly more narrow (1-2mm) and taller (1-2mm) than what's equipped on a PRS SE. I bought the maple ones and used lacquer to darken it and match
Sorry to revive an old thread, but just a heads up that the Crazy Parts pickup rings are slightly more narrow (1-2mm) and taller (1-2mm) than what's equipped on a PRS SE. I bought the maple ones and used lacquer to darken it and match the binding on the body.

Glad you did!

Few questions if you don't mind:

• Would a belt sand 1 or 2 mm sort the height?
• Would a pickup gaurd fit (what with them being narrower)?
• Do the screws fit direct with no adjusting or off centering?

Post a pic!

Kindest

This is interesting, because my SE HB II (made in China) pup rings are bigger than USA Gibson rings: bigger overall, and bigger screw spacing. I didn't compare yet to typical import PUP rings but my hunch is they'll match.

The SE HB II rings are tapered front to back, but the taper is more than necessary so the pups are still angled relative to the strings. Easy enough fix, though. But I'm considering either black plastic, or flamed maple to accent the binding. Normally I'd avoid wood pup rings, but the flamed maple would look so good with the binding.

Did you ever find any (besided that black epi) rings that fit? Chrome, Wood?

Did you ever find any (besided that black epi) rings that fit? Chrome, Wood?
Unfortunately no, and I've been looking. I mean, there are also cream color Epi rings but the color that I got is way too yellow so I didn't even try fitting them. I did order a custom set of composite rings and really like them, but I had to take and send all my own measurements. I'm still on the fence about wood, it seems like more trouble than its worth, especially with the composite (matte) black looking good and feeling really solid. I believe it was $40 for the set from Frets On The Net.

Unfortunately no, and I've been looking. I mean, there are also cream color Epi rings but the color that I got is way too yellow so I didn't even try fitting them. I did order a custom set of composite rings and really like them, but I had to take and send all my own measurements. I'm still on the fence about wood, it seems like more trouble than its worth, especially with the composite (matte) black looking good and feeling really solid. I believe it was $40 for the set from Frets On The Net.

I did message frets on the net about chrome or even making them but Dave from FOTN told me he couldn't build to those specs and didn't have the material. I ordered this set below because they are super close in specs but we shall see. I'll post when they come in.

Metal Humbucker Pickup Ring Set SLANTED & FLAT Bottom for Flat Top Guitar CHROME

Curious to see if the ones you ordered fit I’m actually trying to find brass ones are gold and I found them in that same size when you get this please let me know thank you

Back