Sinker Mahogany doesn't sink - it sings

EveryAxeAGem

Just to share how impressed I am with PRS sinker mahogany-necked guitars. I know the whole thing got off to a fuzzy start some years ago (and please lets not revisit that), but PRS sinker mahogany is THE BOMB.

First off, I need to qualify that I'm only interested in how an electric guitar sounds acoustically. I don't care much about pickups, because for me the tonal quality of the guitar is present in its acoustic sound, and the same tonal quality inevitably carries over to the amp. Otherwise, why does an amplified electric guitar even sound like a guitar in the first place, and why does a amplified pick scrape sound like an acoustic pick scrape. Same goes for pinch harmonics.

So with that paradigm qualified, I wish to say that the tonal qualities of PRS sinker mahogany necked guitars are amazing. Individual notes resonate effortlessly, and give a deliciously creamy and intense tone. Acoustically. When strummed, there's a special chime.

It just feels like these guitars have been sprinkled with magic dust. There are other killer PRS neck woods as well like BRW, Pernambuco (which sounds like Sinker actually), and others etc. But Sinker is really a Singer. Just wow.

I admit I am showing my ignorance - but what exactly is a "sinker neck" ?

Maybe posting a pic will help.

I could be wrong but I think sinker wood was extracted from the bottom of a lake somewhere dried and used for necks.Please correct me if I'am wrong.

I could be wrong but I think sinker wood was extracted from the bottom of a lake somewhere dried and used for necks.Please correct me if I'am wrong.

Not the PRS sinker wood.

Other folks have sinker wood that was in the bottom of a body of water forever, but PRS just called their sinker wood that because it was so dense it sank in water.

Learned something new today :) - I had no idea what sinker wood was!

Easiest way to get one is having a Siggie 408. I sold mine to aquire an all Brazilian necked version.

Last edited:
Back