Silver Sky SE, string distance from the fretboard edge

Lehik

Just asking for honest opinions whether you think this brand new SSSE is "within spec" when it comes to the string distance from the fretboard edges? Closer to the headstock it's nicely even for both sides but when getting higher up the neck, the high e-string is much closer to the edge and slips off pretty easily. I measured 3mm on both sides at the nut and around 6mm vs 2mm at the neck joint (the picture is slightly tilted so the difference might not show as big as it is). I even tried leaving the high e-string's saddle a bit tilted to compensate for the difference, but it doesn't help that much.

prs-neck.jpg

The strings on both of mine are equidistant from the edges. Maybe see if you can shift the neck a little to get yours centered? Might have to loosen the four neck screws slightly, pull the neck to where the strings are centered, hold it there and retighten the screws. Might work!

Yep. Readjust that neck and it should re-align

I find the SS impressive with their low radiuses and yet strings far from the edges. Fenders always seem crazy close to the edges with their 7.25 guitars. To the point I would swap the bridges to vintage narrow ones to avoid the strings falling off

Thanks for the tips. It seems that just pulling the neck while tightening didn't do the job, as the screws seemed to pull the neck back to it's original position (although it has to be said that it would have easier with three hands...). However, I tried adding a small "shim" to the end of the fretboard that pushes the right (or lower) edge slightly forward and fixes the position. Much better now. I wrote the word shim inside quotation marks as it was practically layers of tape that I kept adding until the width was enough to get the correct position.

For one reason or another I seem to have pretty bad track record when it comes to SEs...my first SE Custom 24 was so bad it was replaced by warranty, my P20E has some frequencies ringing out weirdly loud and now some issues with the SSSE :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the tips and especially presenting them in a constructive manner. Many gear-related forums tend the be the perfect soil for some serious flame wars :)

Thanks for the tips. It seems that just pulling the neck while tightening didn't do the job, as the screws seemed to pull the neck back to it's original position (although it has to be said that it would have easier with three hands...). However, I tried adding a small "shim" to the end of the fretboard that pushes the right (or lower) edge slightly forward and fixes the position. Much better now. I wrote the word shim inside quotation marks as it was practically layers of tape that I kept adding until the width was enough to get the correct position.

For one reason or another I seem to have pretty bad track record when it comes to SEs...my first SE Custom 24 was so bad it was replaced by warranty, my P20E has some frequencies ringing out weirdly loud and now some issues with the SSSE :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the tips and especially presenting them in a constructive manner. Many gear-related forums tend the be the perfect soil for some serious flame wars :)
I have an american fender telecaster I bought sight unseen on the web that had this same problem and it had to be shimmed. I happen to be neighbors with john cruz- the former fender custom shop guru . He gave it a good set up and even relic’ed for me. He said it’s a common issue with bolt on necks. Plays well now !

I have an american fender telecaster I bought sight unseen on the web that had this same problem and it had to be shimmed. I happen to be neighbors with john cruz- the former fender custom shop guru . He gave it a good set up and even relic’ed for me. He said it’s a common issue with bolt on necks. Plays well now !
Too bad John Cruz doesn't live next door to the OP. I'd love to know what he thinks about the Silver Sky.

Too bad John Cruz doesn't live next door to the OP. I'd love to know what he thinks about the Silver Sky.
I don’t think he cares much about prs since he is focused on getting his own company going - john cruz custom Guitars. I bought one and like it a lot.

Back