Silver sky long term users

No regrets with mine. Still plays and sounds every bit as good as it did on day one. In fact, it's the closest I've come yet to getting a second PRS of the same model. It's that good.

About the only thing I don't like is that the trem doesn't float. That's where the second one comes in. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing the work to float this myself (because this is one of the first 500 - I'd be less resistant with a later one), and I'm not sure what the effect on the tone will be. And if it turns out I don't like that and revert back, I'll always have doubt that I got it back just right - but that's just me. I might like the trem action to be a little lighter, but that varies by day.

So, long term keeper? Absolutely.
You can float the trem as a test without putting the shim in the neck just loosen the trem springs until it comes off the body :)
I think they sound better more alive floating for me.

I have 2 - Silver Skys and 18 and a 19 , just when I think I can sell one I play them again and on the wall they stay.
I still believe it is the best SSS guitar I have ever owned and likely the guitar that sounds best on me.
100% long term keeper

I think the Silver Sky is as good as a "strat" can get.

When I bought mine I was in a position to buy either the USA version or the import SE.

The USA version is superb. But so is the SE.

I wound up buying the SE because I liked the flatter fingerboard radius, larger frets and the two stud tremolo.

I did like the pickups in the USA version slightly better, and the alder body resonates more like what I'm used to hearing.

The body of the SE is poplar, which sounds fine. Better than fine. Some people prefer it, Joe Satriani for one

I'm still in love with my green SE after a year of owning it and the changes I made were to float the tremolo and change the pickups.

The original pickups are great! Very much a vintage strat sound.

But I've been a fan of Duncan Antiquity Surfers and Chubtone '61 pickups for a long time.

I tried both in my SE and settled on the Chubtones because the polepiece stagger is a better match for the 8 1/2" fingerboard radius. But the Antiquity Surfers are brighter and sound more like those in the USA Silver Sky. I have those in a Mark Jenny Strat I put together.

Then I bought another SE Silver Sky and made no changes other than to float the tremolo.

I did not have to shim the neck and it floats perfectly and sounds great.

Last edited:
Just got a green one, and am absolutely in love with it. I think I've had enough guitars now that I can tell in the short term if it's going to be a long term fave.
Glad to hear that!

Sounds like I’m the only one having issues. I could be in love with mine if it would just stay in tune… There is one really good luthier near me that I know of, but they aren’t a PRS dealer. I wish I knew of one close that I knew was good and knew PRS guitars. It could end up being my lifetime strat... But if I don’t get it figured out soon it’s time to move on.

(Full disclosure for anyone reading this: This guitar was bought used and we know the owner did some setup changes. But I, nor the guy I got it from, can figure out how he might have caused this. I get ping ping ping every time I move the vibrato arm… ).

Glad to hear that!

Sounds like I’m the only one having issues. I could be in love with mine if it would just stay in tune… There is one really good luthier near me that I know of, but they aren’t a PRS dealer. I wish I knew of one close that I knew was good and knew PRS guitars. It could end up being my lifetime strat... But if I don’t get it figured out soon it’s time to move on.

(Full disclosure for anyone reading this: This guitar was bought used and we know the owner did some setup changes. But I, nor the guy I got it from, can figure out how he might have caused this. I get ping ping ping every time I move the vibrato arm… ).
Almost sounds like a nut thing?
Would be sad to boot such a great guitar.

Almost sounds like a nut thing?
Would be sad to boot such a great guitar.
It has everything I require in a “perfect strat.” White body, pick guitar and pickups, maple fingerboard. Plus really good single coils, and 3x3 headstock which alone puts it ahead of any other strat type guitar. The radius is not my favorite but I do like it and the neck overall.

I put the stupid $20 for one millionth of an ounce nut lube on the nut… the pings are coming from down in the bridge. I tried to put the magic lube there too… but I guess I didn’t get the right spot… or, the previous owner also changed springs (Thanks to Rick for pics, so I could get that back to stock, which was easy) but may have messed with the bridge screws… I have no reason to believe he did, except that nothing else has fixed it yet so it’s possible that could be out of spec.

I did take it back where I got it because he has a guitar tech who is supposedly good… he had it for a few days, said it was staying in tone fine, I got it home a few weeks ago and it’s no better than it was before.

This guitar is barely over a year old, doesn’t have a mark on it, etc. I think the guy messed with it trying to make it into his perfect strat, and then gave up and traded it. OR, maybe he really liked it but was having these issues and tried several things to fix it and gave up and traded it in. I wish I could talk to him to find out.

However, according to sales receipts, it was bought new at Sweetwater, then traded in at Guitar Center just 3-4 months later. The guy who had it before me bought it there, then traded it in just 3-4 months later to the used gear dealer I got it from. So it’s very possible that the previous owners both flipped it because of these same issues. So, yeah, it’s got my required colors, fingerboard, etc., but has been a big disappointment due to the tuning issue. I have played it live a couple times, but only when I playing no more than 2 songs, and I don’t even put the vibrato on it AND don’t do anything but small bends. At which point, I only did it for me because I can’t really play it for fear it will go out of tune.

The disappointment is magnified by the fact that I was ALL ready to go on a Jimi and Trower binge and have had cash set aside for months now for an HDRX20… but I’m not sure I will want the HDRX 20 if I don’t have a single coil guitar to play through it.

So yeah, first world problems for sure, but this is the most disappointed I’ve been in gear in quite a while. And at this point, I’m not sure what to do next.

It has everything I require in a “perfect strat.” White body, pick guitar and pickups, maple fingerboard. Plus really good single coils, and 3x3 headstock which alone puts it ahead of any other strat type guitar. The radius is not my favorite but I do like it and the neck overall.

I put the stupid $20 for one millionth of an ounce nut lube on the nut… the pings are coming from down in the bridge. I tried to put the magic lube there too… but I guess I didn’t get the right spot… or, the previous owner also changed springs (Thanks to Rick for pics, so I could get that back to stock, which was easy) but may have messed with the bridge screws… I have no reason to believe he did, except that nothing else has fixed it yet so it’s possible that could be out of spec.

I did take it back where I got it because he has a guitar tech who is supposedly good… he had it for a few days, said it was staying in tone fine, I got it home a few weeks ago and it’s no better than it was before.

This guitar is barely over a year old, doesn’t have a mark on it, etc. I think the guy messed with it trying to make it into his perfect strat, and then gave up and traded it. OR, maybe he really liked it but was having these issues and tried several things to fix it and gave up and traded it in. I wish I could talk to him to find out.

However, according to sales receipts, it was bought new at Sweetwater, then traded in at Guitar Center just 3-4 months later. The guy who had it before me bought it there, then traded it in just 3-4 months later to the used gear dealer I got it from. So it’s very possible that the previous owners both flipped it because of these same issues. So, yeah, it’s got my required colors, fingerboard, etc., but has been a big disappointment due to the tuning issue. I have played it live a couple times, but only when I playing no more than 2 songs, and I don’t even put the vibrato on it AND don’t do anything but small bends. At which point, I only did it for me because I can’t really play it for fear it will go out of tune.

The disappointment is magnified by the fact that I was ALL ready to go on a Jimi and Trower binge and have had cash set aside for months now for an HDRX20… but I’m not sure I will want the HDRX 20 if I don’t have a single coil guitar to play through it.

So yeah, first world problems for sure, but this is the most disappointed I’ve been in gear in quite a while. And at this point, I’m not sure what to do next.
Pinging in the trem is not good. Combined with the tuning instability there are a couple of things it could be:

* Some problem with the pivot screws, maybe they are out of alignment and have messed up the trem edge
You could get crazy and remove the middle 4 screws and see if it still makes the noise.

* The springs are not seated or otherwise binding.
If you flip it over and work the trem can you hear if it's from the springs, or where the springs hook in?
Is the trem set up floating or decked?

I would bring it in to your local tech who is good, regardless of brand,if they are good, they should be able to fix this. Sounds like the springs, maybe order a new set from PRS and then have it set up? Worst case, send it in to PRS for an overhaul.

It's gotta be fixable. Somewhere around here there must be all the stock specs.
I wonder if the tech could converse with PTC?

I would bring it in to your local tech who is good, regardless of brand,if they are good, they should be able to fix this. Sounds like the springs, maybe order a new set from PRS and then have it set up? Worst case, send it in to PRS for an overhaul.
I gotta agree with this. Howie, take to the good tech, regardless.

Glad to hear that!

Is it a USA SS with the old style 6 screw tremolo or a SE with just two? One of the reasons I bought the SE is that I preferred the 2 screw tremolo.

If it's the six screw version try raising the four middle screws so their heads never touch the surface of the bridge.

Do all of your adjusting with the two outside screws.

Maybe it'll help.

If it doesn't...get an SE. :)

Because the tremolo on both of mine stay in tune beautifully.

Last edited:
Vibrato is not not floating. Decked in the back, raised slightly in the front, per spec, it appears.

And the springs... I noticed something last night after writing that. I mentioned that when I got it, it had 3 springs installed and stock setup is 4. The other spring was in the bag, so with the pic Rick sent me I repositioned them to stock and added the 4th. What I noticed last night... the middle two springs do not appear to be identical to the outside two. The built in curve at the end of the spring (where it goes into the block) is not exactly the same as the outside two. So I'm wondering if the springs are stock, or he he substituted a couple of them.

And, I'll try the trick with the middle screws. I didn't mention this before, but I hit the contact points of the bridge and screws, with some lube also, and it didn't make any difference, but I don't have specialized tools to measure if all the screws are identical height and can only eyeball it.

In any event, I at least have a couple more things to try this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vibrato is not not floating. Decked in the back, raised slightly in the front, per spec, it appears.

And the springs... I noticed something last night after writing that. I mentioned that when I got it, it had 3 springs installed and stock setup is 4. The other spring was in the bag, so with the pic Rick sent me I repositioned them to stock and added the 4th. What I noticed last night... the middle two springs do not appear to be identical to the outside two. The built in curve at the end of the spring (where it goes into the block) is not exactly the same as the outside two. So I'm wondering if the springs are stock, or he he substituted a couple of them.

And, I'll try the trick with the middle screws. I didn't mention this before, but I hit the contact points of the bridge and screws, with some lube also, and it didn't make any difference, but I don't have specialized tools to measure if all the screws are identical height and can only eyeball it.

In any event, I at least have a couple more things to try this week.
This has got to be frustrating as hell.
I really hope you get this all sorted out.

This has got to be frustrating as hell.
I really hope you get this all sorted out.
It is, and thank you!

I've tried not to vent about this too much here, because I still fear it could be issues caused by the previous owner. But I mainly think that because I've had nothing but perfection from all my other PRS guitars, for years now. So I'm hesitant to assume it came this way. But, it has been flipped quickly twice, so...

I think you're right - it probably was caused by the previous owner. But you have it now, and we're going to keep trying to get it fixed.

I think the first thing I'd try (knowing that this is not your desired ultimate setup) is to remove those two middle springs and play for a bit. The trem won't be where you want it, but the goal is to see if the noises stop. Then put those springs back and remove the outer two and try again. Ideally, one of those two configurations won't cause the noise, and then we'll know which springs to punish.

This sounds correctable. I would yank all the springs and replace them to make sure they are not an issue.

How often do you use the tremolo arm? If frequent then I would suggest floating the trem and following the PRS video. Using the tremolo as it stock is kind of a burden do to it being decked. At times I wish PRS designed the tremolo like they do their other trem systems. But I guess it was about that single coil and increasing resonance.

And as others has stated if all else fails take it to a tech and tell them it’s to stay decked. The rest is set up much like a strat.

And I assume the saddles are even? I’ve had a couple saddles that a height screw was actual floating and not touching the base plate. The tuning stability would stink with tremolo use or bends. And would cause a pinging sound at the tremolo.

It is, and thank you!

I've tried not to vent about this too much here, because I still fear it could be issues caused by the previous owner. But I mainly think that because I've had nothing but perfection from all my other PRS guitars, for years now. So I'm hesitant to assume it came this way. But, it has been flipped quickly twice, so...

I feel like we all want to see you succeed with this issue! There has gotta be a fix. Most likely the springs now. I really want a SS SE now, and I prefer the 2 screw version. I’ve had a few strats most stay in tune really well, 2 screw versions have been the best. Looking forward to the SE version soon.

Back