Silver sky long term users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AY70, Sep 18, 2020.

1. AY70

AY70 New Member

Hi, I've been considering a silver sky for quite some time, love PRS own 2 SE models and a fender strat among others. Questions to long term owners of the silver sky. How do you feel about the guitar as a long term keeper?
    Is it as impressive over time as when you bought it or are there things you don't like about it that have emerged during use?
    Also for anyone with both, maple or rosewood fret board?

HANGAR18 likes this.
  2. Steve Dombroski

Steve Dombroski New Member

I went on a quest to find the best strat I could find a couple of years back. I played about 50 different strats...some new...some vintage. Different brands. I specifically did not want to like a silver sky. I also didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on one. I played a 1961 Fender Strat that became the basis for my decision and the bar became very high. It was a $12,000 guitar though. I then gave the Silver Sky a chance and it was on par with the 61, but better because it FELT like a PRS and not a Fender.

So I caved and I bought the Silver Sky and haven't looked back. I will say, I am not a fan of vintage frets so I immediately had Jumbos put in and I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 and that thing is a beast. Mine has a rosewood fretboard which I'm partial to.

DISTORT6, alantig and bodia like this.
  3. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

No regrets with mine. Still plays and sounds every bit as good as it did on day one. In fact, it's the closest I've come yet to getting a second PRS of the same model. It's that good.

About the only thing I don't like is that the trem doesn't float. That's where the second one comes in. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing the work to float this myself (because this is one of the first 500 - I'd be less resistant with a later one), and I'm not sure what the effect on the tone will be. And if it turns out I don't like that and revert back, I'll always have doubt that I got it back just right - but that's just me. I might like the trem action to be a little lighter, but that varies by day.

So, long term keeper? Absolutely.

AY70 and bodia like this.
  4. AY70

AY70 New Member

5. AY70

AY70 New Member

Thanks for your help. My strat is an American professional so quite a modern feeling guitar. I need to try a SS as the vintage frets were my biggest concern, but I'm in the UK and it's difficult to find anything in stock in stores local to me

6. Steve Dombroski

Steve Dombroski New Member

they're not terrible, but they just felt small to me. I like to dig in a bit so Jumbos are a game changer on this guitar. I'm actually surprised they chose vintage style wire...but it ain't my signature guitar...so what do I know??

7. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

The vintage frets are a big reason why I ended up with mine. Not because they're my preference, but because @BeerBatteredPhish doesn't like them all that much. We were both checking out the guitar that day - he had expressed a desire to buy one. I was just going to check it out because I had to see for myself what all the internet hate was about. I don't consider myself a Strat guy at all, but that guitar reminded me of what I love about single coil sounds. When he decided to pass, I debated for a bit and finally decided to pull the trigger - literally right before someone else was going to buy it.

Ovibos, bodia and AY70 like this.
  8. RallyFanatic

RallyFanatic Perpetual musical mid-life crisis

The frets are not miles off from the AmPro frets, just shorter really. I sold an AmPro to buy my Silver Sky, if anything I love it more the longer I have it. I also have a HSS American Ultra and a Parallel Universe ‘Jazz Strat’ - I love them both for what they are, but after playing them the Silver Sky feels even easier to play.

bodia and AY70 like this.