Silver sky long term users

AY70

Hi, I've been considering a silver sky for quite some time, love PRS own 2 SE models and a fender strat among others. Questions to long term owners of the silver sky. How do you feel about the guitar as a long term keeper?
Is it as impressive over time as when you bought it or are there things you don't like about it that have emerged during use?
Also for anyone with both, maple or rosewood fret board?

I went on a quest to find the best strat I could find a couple of years back. I played about 50 different strats...some new...some vintage. Different brands. I specifically did not want to like a silver sky. I also didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on one. I played a 1961 Fender Strat that became the basis for my decision and the bar became very high. It was a $12,000 guitar though. I then gave the Silver Sky a chance and it was on par with the 61, but better because it FELT like a PRS and not a Fender.

So I caved and I bought the Silver Sky and haven't looked back. I will say, I am not a fan of vintage frets so I immediately had Jumbos put in and I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 and that thing is a beast. Mine has a rosewood fretboard which I'm partial to.

No regrets with mine. Still plays and sounds every bit as good as it did on day one. In fact, it's the closest I've come yet to getting a second PRS of the same model. It's that good.

About the only thing I don't like is that the trem doesn't float. That's where the second one comes in. I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing the work to float this myself (because this is one of the first 500 - I'd be less resistant with a later one), and I'm not sure what the effect on the tone will be. And if it turns out I don't like that and revert back, I'll always have doubt that I got it back just right - but that's just me. I might like the trem action to be a little lighter, but that varies by day.

So, long term keeper? Absolutely.

I went on a quest to find the best strat I could find a couple of years back. I played about 50 different strats...some new...some vintage. Different brands. I specifically did not want to like a silver sky. I also didn't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on one. I played a 1961 Fender Strat that became the basis for my decision and the bar became very high. It was a $12,000 guitar though. I then gave the Silver Sky a chance and it was on par with the 61, but better because it FELT like a PRS and not a Fender.

So I caved and I bought the Silver Sky and haven't looked back. I will say, I am not a fan of vintage frets so I immediately had Jumbos put in and I replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Lil' 59 and that thing is a beast. Mine has a rosewood fretboard which I'm partial to.

Thanks for your help. My strat is an American professional so quite a modern feeling guitar. I need to try a SS as the vintage frets were my biggest concern, but I'm in the UK and it's difficult to find anything in stock in stores local to me

Thanks for your help. My strat is an American professional so quite a modern feeling guitar. I need to try a SS as the vintage frets were my biggest concern, but I'm in the UK and it's difficult to find anything in stock in stores local to me
they're not terrible, but they just felt small to me. I like to dig in a bit so Jumbos are a game changer on this guitar. I'm actually surprised they chose vintage style wire...but it ain't my signature guitar...so what do I know??

they're not terrible, but they just felt small to me. I like to dig in a bit so Jumbos are a game changer on this guitar. I'm actually surprised they chose vintage style wire...but it ain't my signature guitar...so what do I know??

The vintage frets are a big reason why I ended up with mine. Not because they're my preference, but because @BeerBatteredPhish doesn't like them all that much. We were both checking out the guitar that day - he had expressed a desire to buy one. I was just going to check it out because I had to see for myself what all the internet hate was about. I don't consider myself a Strat guy at all, but that guitar reminded me of what I love about single coil sounds. When he decided to pass, I debated for a bit and finally decided to pull the trigger - literally right before someone else was going to buy it.

The frets are not miles off from the AmPro frets, just shorter really. I sold an AmPro to buy my Silver Sky, if anything I love it more the longer I have it. I also have a HSS American Ultra and a Parallel Universe ‘Jazz Strat’ - I love them both for what they are, but after playing them the Silver Sky feels even easier to play.

Hi, I've been considering a silver sky for quite some time, love PRS own 2 SE models and a fender strat among others. Questions to long term owners of the silver sky. How do you feel about the guitar as a long term keeper?
Is it as impressive over time as when you bought it or are there things you don't like about it that have emerged during use?
Hi
I have played Strats as my go to guitar for nearly 40 years. I was curious about the SS, but concerned that the neck shape might be too chunky. I finally found a second hand SS at a guitar fair and was able to try it and it felt great. I don’t have massive hands, so was very pleasantly surprised. I traded a1979 Strat for it which also required some additional cash to be added.
Bottom line - it is now my number 1 guitar!
Why?
The Positives
It feels great-I set it up with 9-42 strings with the term decked.
It sustains longer than my previous No 1 Strat - around 30:sec compared to 12 sec for my American St Strat. Paul Reed Smith talks about this on his videos and it is a good thing to check when comparing guitars.
I love the tone in all pick up positions and I like the feel of the Rosewood slab board.
I use it with a Fender Blues Junior
After buying it, I enjoyed rehearsals with it and then got to gig it and it just gets better and better as I refine the amp and pedal settings.
I have finally got the sound in the room that my head had been seeking for all these years-it is that good!
It plays evenly in all notes across the neck-I have not found that on any other electric guitar.
It is super stable-stays in tune all night and is usually still in tune when it comes out for the next session.
It is light, which I like -around 7lb 5 oz, so comfortable to the neck and shoulder.
I like the look of it- now discontinued Horizon Red- Candy Apple Red if it was a Fender-finish quality is sublime.
I think the guitar covers all the Strat tones and other territory too. The pick ups are hotter than the Am Std, but warmer and thicker. I use position 1 a lot and it is great, but I use all positions during our sets.
The locking tuners are superb. I don’t mind the plastic tuner buttons or the scarf joint in the neck. I believe Taylor use scarf joints and I can’t see an issue. Lack of string trees must help stability and tone/sustain, so the trade off, if any, is worth it.
Fretwork is immaculate. Any fears on fretboard radius and choking are also unfounded with my set up and playing style.
Overall build quality is superb. This is my first PRS, so I now understand why everyone raves about PRS quality control.
Final point is regarding signature models. I am not generally a fan, so I like the fact that the signature bit is on the back, on the neck plate, rather than shouting from the front of the guitar.
The Negatives
I have yet to find any.
People complain about the gig bag, but it is fine. I have always used hard cases, but I am getting use to it. It also overcomes another possible problem regarding PRS strap buttons. I unscrewed these to fit the strap and leave the strap on all the time. I can do this with the gig bag, but I don’t think it would fit in the close fitting hard case with the strap still on. I put a cleaning cloth in to stop the strap making contact with the nitro covered neck and the rest of the time the guitar is in a rack at home or a stand at gigs/rehearsals. If I wanted to use a hard case, I would replace the strap buttons with strap locks.
Conclusion
It takes something special to displace a guitar that has been my No 1 for 25 years and the SS has done it. It is a keeper for sure!
Is it worth the money? Well that is a personal choice…In my case I would say yes, having bought second hand. I would struggle to justify the price of a new one for me, but you get what you pay for and I think the coming together of PRS and JM has paid off big time.
If you try with an open mind, be prepared to be amazed. If you try one with a closed mind, you might still be amazed!
Hope that gives food for thought.

Grew up on Strats , modded all of them , sold them tried again and again. LOVE all my PRS but missed a longer scale SSS guitar , they are my safe place.
Had a 305 for a time , not quite it for me , then a DC3 still not it.
Wanted to not like the Silver Sky but it was just right , Set the Trem to float everything I need is a single coil guitar.

IMG_6007 by

IMG_6452 by
Love that Onion green!!!

I have both fret boards, both bought new and manufactured during covid about a year apart, ‘20 and a ‘21. I also have one of each in Fender Strat, those bought in ‘14 and ‘15. The SS are my favorites over the Strats for all the reasons mentioned above.

It feels like the frets are bigger on the ‘21 SS with the maple board compared to the ‘20 SS which is rosewood. I haven’t measured each fret yet to prove the size difference.

The rosewood neck is glossy and slippery (which I like) in my very dry hands. Not sure how it would feel with sweaty hands. The maple board has satin finish on the neck, which I’ve heard people with moist hands prefer. I like it just fine also.

The maple board is a separate piece of wood on the neck, shaped just like the rosewood board. Truss rod is installed below the boards, no skunk stripe up the back of the necks as on the Strats.

I adore all 5 pickup positions on the SS and swap between them often. I’ve never heard my 7.25 necks fret out when bending, and the actions are nice and low. I don’t notice the smaller neck radius either. Both of my SS trems are still decked, I use my Strats or Custom 24 if I want to waggle something.

The plastic buttons on the tuners are actually pretty nice. I would have opted for something different from the start, but once I used them I found them easy to grip and of good quality.

I bought a PRS SS hard case for the first SS, and use an extra Strat/Tele PVC case I had from a Kotzen Tele I sold for the other one. I use the soft SS case when I take an SS out of the house because it is light and more compact.

I love the SS output jack, but it is narrower than my Strat jack and won’t fit the wireless plug-in for my Boss Wazacraft Air headphones. I have to use a 90 degree adapter which is unfortunate.

I’m not parting with either SS.

Last edited:

I loved the way mine sounded but I did not like the frets/radius. I couldn't decide if refretting would be enough. Now you are making me curious.

I am responding to the original question - I have 2 Silver Sky Guitars - One with a rosewood fretboard and one with a maple neck / fretboard. I have also owned a number of Strats over the years. The PRS Silver Sky guitars are the best! Very authentic Strat tones with much better quality. I sold one of my Strats to get the 1st Silver Star about 3 years ago, when they 1st came out. I moded my second Strat with Seymour Duncan red devil humbuker pick ups and it is no longer a Strat IMHO. BTW - Both of my Silver Star guitars sound and play differently. Like them both.

My Am Pro II strat is really good. One month ago I bought my SS in Moc Sand satin. Since then I consider my Strat to be heavy (its not) and a big guitar. During rehearsals I play my SS for 2,5 hours and it plays like butter, almost seems to ‘disappear’ against my body, string bending is addictive, and it’s that good. So I happily keep playing and enjoying it while my strat and other guitars keep hanging on the wall.

Last edited:
Back