Silver Sky headstock design...

Lewguitar

Old Know It All
Some players don't like it. First time I saw a Silver Sky I didn't. I thought it would look better reversed.

But there seems to be a reason.

If it was reversed, maybe it would feel crowded on the treble side.

Now, I've completely gotten used to the headstock of my Silver Sky.

I see it as an improvement.

The e string length from nut to tuning peg essentially matches the length on a strat from the nut to the string-tee. Mr Mayer felt the normal PRS headstock length detracted from some natural thing he liked on a a Strat.

So very much by design.

The e string length from nut to tuning peg essentially matches the length on a strat from the nut to the string-tee. Mr Mayer felt the normal PRS headstock length detracted from some natural thing he liked on a a Strat.

So very much by design.

It works! I prefer it to my Strats. Stays in tune better too.

I can tell you having seen some of the headstock shapes PRS was working on for the SS, the one they chose was the absolute best one.

By a lot!

I have two SE Silver Skys and love them both. But I think the headstock should echo the body shape a little more.

The body has the longer horn on top and it would look better, to me, if the longer part of the headstock was on top too. As it is in most PRS guitars.

I assume John Mayer wanted more distance from the nut to where it flares out. Like a Strat.

I can live with it. It's a great guitar!

Last edited:
I am not a fan of the flipped over headstock. I also am from the camp that a S type guitar should have an all on one side headstock. The Fender headstock provides a straight pull through the nut. I have no issues keeping any of mine in tune. I would have preferred the regular PRS headstock on these. If I wanted another S type guitar, it wouldn't stop me from buying an SS. It just wouldn't be something that I loved about the guitar.

I am not a fan of the flipped over headstock. I also am from the camp that a S type guitar should have an all on one side headstock. The Fender headstock provides a straight pull through the nut. I have no issues keeping any of mine in tune. I would have preferred the regular PRS headstock on these. If I wanted another S type guitar, it wouldn't stop me from buying an SS. It just wouldn't be something that I loved about the guitar.
It works very well though. Stays in tune, doesn't require a string tree to keep the strings in the fret slots, and I like the tuners. Everything that looks strange about it is actually an improvement.

It works very well though. Stays in tune, doesn't require a string tree to keep the strings in the fret slots, and I like the tuners. Everything that looks strange about it is actually an improvement.
I have guitars with all 6 tuners on the same side that don't have string trees and they don't have issues with the strings popping out of the nut. They all have locking tuners on them. I have 3 Suhrs, an Anderson and two Fenders that are this way.

Back