Silver Sky Green Gunk in Grain

sixstringoverdrive

Just got this silver sky from Sweetwater and on the sides of the fretboard mostly is this green gunk. Also found some on the headstock that wiped off. It comes out with a toothpick.

Anyone know what this is? It’s not the finish coming off I hope!

69884567-DF6-E-4280-A927-5-B6-F6-F63-AC54.jpg

The first Silver Sky I played, on the floor of a Guitar Center the better part of a year ago, felt really weird to me, like the fretboard had a layer of some sort of black-ish gunk on you could actually feel. I was not impressed with that guitar and it took me a good while to play another one, which I ultimately fell in love with and own. And I've had mine just about a couple of months now, and I'm starting to see some of the more heavily played parts of the fretboard lightening up noticeably. Like there's some amount of polish or color added to the make the rosewood look darker than it is which I'm now wearing through. When I get home in a couple of weeks I'm gonna give the fretboard a light coating of fretboard oil and see if it darkens back up. Or conversely, maybe it will wipe off whatever amount of dye was used on the board and I'll see the ACTUAL color of the fretboard for the first time.

The short version is it seems they do put SOMETHING on the fretboards to alter/improve the appearance. The excessive amount of whatever it was really affected the feel of the first SS I played. Whatever may be on my current SS doesn't at all, but it might not be as great looking a fretboard as it seemed initially.

-Ray

Last edited:
I just sent an email to Sweetwater asking what it is. I was concerned the finish had issues straight out of the box. If it's just polish, I can certainly live with and understand that. PRS and Sweetwater probably have no idea how long the guitar is going to sit and maybe this is a protectant.

I'll post what I find out -

Just got this silver sky from Sweetwater and on the sides of the fretboard mostly is this green gunk. Also found some on the headstock that wiped off. It comes out with a toothpick.

Anyone know what this is? It’s not the finish coming off I hope!

69884567-DF6-E-4280-A927-5-B6-F6-F63-AC54.jpg
Cool! You got one of the GGiG Special Editions! Smoother playing because the grain depressions don’t slow you down!

Back