Silver sky and American Professional Strat

Olly

Help! I own an antique olive American professionals strat with a. Rosewood board and a Orion green PRS silversky also Rosewood board.

I feel like they are too similar to have 2 S type guitars but each are subtly different in there own right. I love the neck on the prs and it plays like a dream but I feel like the Strat has more tonal character but the feel of the neck after playing the silver sky doesn’t feel as nice..
I’m looking to sell one but can’t decide I know this forum won’t completely solve the problem would just love to know your opinions.
I’m on the lookout for something with humbuckers but can’t justify buying something else whilst I have 2 very similar guitars. Help!

On a prs forum you're going to get keep the SS, but I'd rather have the strat. There I said it! I like diversity and as much as I think sometimes I want all prs guitars at the end of the day I know I'm happier with diversity where I can find it. I'll always have a strat.

On a prs forum you're going to get keep the SS, but I'd rather have the strat. There I said it! I like diversity and as much as I think sometimes I want all prs guitars at the end of the day I know I'm happier with diversity where I can find it. I'll always have a strat.
Thanks man I appreciate the honesty. I’m so torn to be honest!

I’ve got both, and sold 2 of my other Strats after getting the Silver Sky. It’s just a better guitar, in my opinion. I did keep my David Gilmour tribute Black Strat, which has a sound of its own and reminds me every time I play it that I’m not David Gilmour. :)

There’s a lot of love for the Silver Sky here, but I’d expect most will say to pick the one you play best. Honestly, I can’t understand anything having much more tonal character than the Silver Sky, but when it comes to tone, beauty is in the ear of the listener.

Kind of like asking which girl to marry...

I’ve got both, and sold 2 of my other Strats after getting the Silver Sky. It’s just a better guitar, in my opinion. I did keep my David Gilmour tribute Black Strat, which has a sound of its own and reminds me every time I play it that I’m not David Gilmour. :)

There’s a lot of love for the Silver Sky here, but I’d expect most will say to pick the one you play best. Honestly, I can’t understand anything having much more tonal character than the Silver Sky, but when it comes to tone, beauty is in the ear of the listener.

Kind of like asking which girl to marry...
Haha thank you for your insight. Im enjoying reading these replies. most such a hard decision I almost regret getting the SS cause it’s thrown off my opinion on the Strat a little bit. But I feel if miss the Strat without it. Bit of a catch 22!

I feel like they are too similar to have 2 S type guitars but each are subtly different in there own right. I love the neck on the prs and it plays like a dream but I feel like the Strat has more tonal character but the feel of the neck after playing the silver sky doesn’t feel as nice

I'd go so far a to say this is how many people perceive PRS when comparing to equivalent Fender, Gibson, etc.

Impeccable playability, sounds great, but there's some character/nuance/edge in sound which is missing.

I wonder how many people would say that in a blind test between two Fender models?

Thanks man I appreciate the honesty. I’m so torn to be honest!

Welcome! I've gone through about every guitar phase there is.. Before PRS Fender was were I settled. I had others and kept some but Fender was it for me, specifically strats. I've gone through a lot of em, some real dogs, others great. I've found their consistency isn't the same as PRS but when you find a good guitar its a good guitar no matter what the headstock says. My question is if the tone is there but the neck isn't, what is it about he neck that doesn't work for you? Is it the shape, fret work, or something else?

One thing I've learned. Don't sell or trade guitars unless you absolutely have to. You WILL have remorse after. Maybe not immediately after but you will. If you aren't in a dire financial situation or physically just don't have the room to squeeze another guitar, then there is no reason to not have 2 similar guitars with somewhat different flavors. A silver sky is not a strat and a strat is not a silver sky so both can coexist nicely.

One thing I've learned. Don't sell or trade guitars unless you absolutely have to. You WILL have remorse after. Maybe not immediately after but you will. If you aren't in a dire financial situation or physically just don't have the room to squeeze another guitar, then there is no reason to not have 2 similar guitars with somewhat different flavors. A silver sky is not a strat and a strat is not a silver sky so both can coexist nicely.
You have hit the nail on the head with this post.
I was playing them both last night for a few hours swapping between them and they both brought something different out of me.
The main reason is cause I’ve been looking for a humbucker style guitar, I had an SG standard growing up and regret selling it. And can’t justify another without offloading one but just can’t choose between the SS and Strat.
Thank you for your input you have helped me a lot :)

For me personally, after years of buying/selling, the neck I like is the one I will play the most.
Very true. The SS and the Strat both have nice necks. Something magic about the feel of the SS though

Welcome! I've gone through about every guitar phase there is.. Before PRS Fender was were I settled. I had others and kept some but Fender was it for me, specifically strats. I've gone through a lot of em, some real dogs, others great. I've found their consistency isn't the same as PRS but when you find a good guitar its a good guitar no matter what the headstock says. My question is if the tone is there but the neck isn't, what is it about he neck that doesn't work for you? Is it the shape, fret work, or something else?
I think it’s just because the SS neck feels so great and I genuinely really like the feel of 7.25 I always have. if I hadn’t played the SS I would be perfectly happy with the Strat neck, and for the most part I am. But the SS neck has some magic to it

Back