Show of hands: Who's using a PRS in the "indie" rock scene?

I'm in alternative scene. I wear my Gavroshe/Oliver Twist cap, white shirt and sand kufiya scarf. Leather jacket whenever necessary.

Never considered myself a hipster until I realized I only listen to bands no one ever heard about (but maybe that's just the curse of progressive metal).

Who use a jazzmaster in the detuned tattooed metalscene?

This guy does:

267978_160655977337437_153778054691896_347013_300401_n_large.jpg

Thank you, James. I'd forgotten about Minus the Bear. And I'm a big Pixies/Santiago fan.

I have always* played in original bands in the underground and stuff, and yes, I know my PRS is not the "popular" guitar to have in that scene. Whatever, I'm 36 years old, I have a professional type job, two kids, a mortgage, a bald spot and receding hairline and I just don't care any more what the young whipper snappers are playing these days. When I was 18 I bought a MIJ Jazzmaster and played them for the next 11 years, until I bought a PRS and realized that it's just better.

*One band was not originals, rather medleys of soundtracks to old Nintendo games.

From a tone and visual perspective, my Mira screams "indie."

Of course, it also screams "Highway to Hell."

Add one more to the list ;-)

I have a nice (brand new) Custom 22 Semi-Hollow on the way from John Mann's shop. It'll be here next Wednesday - same day that my new Axe-Fx 2 arrives. And yep, I can hear you now "No way you're playing 'indi' rock with that setup! WTF?" Hah! I've had some moral dilemmas over my choice of guitars and amps, but frankly I enjoy the feel and quality of PRS guitars, and I enjoy the flexibility and convenience of a more "modern" guitar rig, despite the fact that I'm not playing hard rock or metal. My main guitar has been a Gibson ES-339, but I just found the PRSs to be a world of difference in terms ergonomics, lay-out of the controls (I swap the PRS volume and the 3pos toggle switch locations though), and play-ability across the neck. Whenever I swap from my 339 to my PRS (currently an SE that will be replaced by the CU22-HB) I feel so much more relaxed because I'm not fighting neck-dive or the tendency of the guitar to "roll out" because of the 339's strap pin location on the neck. I think the semi-hollow and the 57/09 pickups are going to sound glorious.

Back