Should prs make a humbcker sized p-90?

Thanks Les, I would have never guessed West used P90s on that song.
Oh, I forgot, I did play a P90 guitar in the summer at work.

Oh yeah, that one's pretty darn cool!

Yup, West was a Les Paul Junior player, if memory serves. I saw Mountain live in 1970 on a bill with Jefferson Airplane and John Sebastian. Hell of a player!

Not sure you'll hear much difference on a record, since so many factors come into play; you really just have to play some to understand how they affect your playing, but there are quite a few famous ones; "Mississippi Queen," by Leslie West is often referred to as typical of the P-90 sound with an overdriven amp. "Live at Leeds" by The Who featured a P-90 SG Special; Santana at Woodstock in '69; Rolling Stones Get Yer Ya Yas Out, I think Keef played an SG Special.

Here's a video with Greg Koch, my apologies for the Gibson:

Santana at Woodstock:

latest

And last but not least...me! I played a P-90 guitar on a TON of ads in the 90s and 2000s. But I can't remember which ones. So there's that. ;)

"P90s are delicious. What do they do for us? They add sinew and some glassiness at the same time. It's where sinew and feasting... brightness meet on the highway to Eshwabenon, which is a glorious place…or so I’m led to believe." L.O.L.!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ha e never played a P90 equipped guitar before.
Gimme an example of a good rock tune that was recorded with them so I can hear them.
I know I have heard them before, but unless I hear a song that has them, I would think they were just buckers.

Boston's Tom Scholz' famous 'Mighty Mouse' Les Paul has a P90 in the neck position and a Dimarzio HB in the bridge. I couldn't say for sure what settings he used on any given song, but there you go.

FWIW that bridge-bucker and neck-P90 is becoming one of my favourite combos, the middle position just sounds so much more interesting and lively than the middle position on most dual HB guitars. PRS doesn't have anything like that in a stock config though, have to have those needs served elsewhere!

Back