Shoot! My laptop died. Need recommendations...

Well I ordered the Lenovo Yoga.

Just seemed like a great deal.

A $1795 laptop and got it for $629.

So that's settled.

It'll be here Monday and I can quit using this iPad Air.

And I ordered a TASCAM Portacapture X8 32-bit 8-Channel Multitrack Field Recorder from Sweetwater.

It'll be here Monday as well.
Good deal. I'm in the IT industry and can post-recommend this model. It folds in half too!!

Hello,
We have been selling Dell desktops & laptops for business customers for at least 15 years. Any new Dell windows laptop you buy in that $500 range will be great as long as it has least an intel i3 or i5 processor, has least 8 or 16 GB of ram and had a solid state drive in it(SSD)If you buy a new laptop make sure that the processor is least 11XXX or 12XXX. Anything lower than that is an old computer.

Go to dell.com and search for Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs.

There is one for $429 with free shipping I would get that for sure.
Processor11ᵗʰ Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7OSWindows 11 Home
GraphicsIntel® Iris® Xe GraphicsMemory
16 GB DDR4Storage
512 GB SSD

Display15.6-in. display Full HD (1920X1080
Estimated Value
$649.99
Dell Price$429.99

You Save $220.00 (34%)

Free delivery by Friday, Aug 04 if ordered by 2 PM CT

New laptop shows up today by 7:00 PM.

The Tascam recorder is here already and I've been getting to know it. Reading the manual is overwhelming.

Lots more to understand and purchase. Like microSD cards...whatever they are!

I'm definitely going to need some coaching.

I'm still going through boxes and finding my microphones and what not. I have some nice condensor mics...just haven't found them yet.

Emptied my music room and started rearranging things though.

Wish I had more room.

Laying it out so everyone faces the center like a band feels best.

It'll just be me on acoustic guitar and a percussionist at first.

Last edited:
Hello,
We have been selling Dell desktops & laptops for business customers for at least 15 years. Any new Dell windows laptop you buy in that $500 range will be great as long as it has least an intel i3 or i5 processor, has least 8 or 16 GB of ram and had a solid state drive in it(SSD)If you buy a new laptop make sure that the processor is least 11XXX or 12XXX. Anything lower than that is an old computer.

Go to dell.com and search for Inspiron Laptops & 2-in-1 PCs.

There is one for $429 with free shipping I would get that for sure.
Processor11ᵗʰ Gen Intel® Core™ i5-1135G7OSWindows 11 Home
GraphicsIntel® Iris® Xe GraphicsMemory
16 GB DDR4Storage
512 GB SSD

Display15.6-in. display Full HD (1920X1080
Estimated Value
$649.99
Dell Price$429.99

You Save $220.00 (34%)

Free delivery by Friday, Aug 04 if ordered by 2 PM CT
I used to sing the praises of Dell machines but my last purchase was an absolute nightmare. The machine kept failing and the service was terrible. The machine spent more time at the Dell service center than it did at my house throughout the first year I owned it. The service techs didn't read the notes on the incident in the system and kept duplicating efforts and not communicating with me. I don't know what has changed at Dell but it has not been for the better IMHO. I may never buy another Dell after this last experience. I was pretty much left without most of my warrantee because they ate the one year up that came with it trying to fix it. I don't know what all they did to it the last time it was in for service but they seem to have finally fixed the issue. I know it received a lot of new parts. The problem is I had to go up the management chain to get it addressed properly. I spent more time on the phone than they did trying to fix it.

I used to sing the praises of Dell machines but my last purchase was an absolute nightmare. The machine kept failing and the service was terrible. The machine spent more time at the Dell service center than it did at my house throughout the first year I owned it. The service techs didn't read the notes on the incident in the system and kept duplicating efforts and not communicating with me. I don't know what has changed at Dell but it has not been for the better IMHO. I may never buy another Dell after this last experience. I was pretty much left without most of my warrantee because they ate the one year up that came with it trying to fix it. I don't know what all they did to it the last time it was in for service but they seem to have finally fixed the issue. I know it received a lot of new parts. The problem is I had to go up the management chain to get it addressed properly. I spent more time on the phone than they did trying to fix it.

Jason,

We are just a small shop, sometimes we move only a 100-150 units a year. Other times we go trough 300-400 or more. In general they are pretty reliable, we hardly ever have to deal with support. ( we can also fix most issues without Dell)
Dell Business class computers has Dell pro support warranties and that it is top notch.

Dell accidental damage coverage is also top notch.

Unfortunately I also heard also bad things about the home product support team. On an entry level or home product Dell has to use less skilled, less responsive, less knowledgeable and therefore less expensive techs.

Jason,

We are just a small shop, sometimes we move only a 100-150 units a year. Other times we go trough 300-400 or more. In general they are pretty reliable, we hardly ever have to deal with support. ( we can also fix most issues without Dell)
Dell Business class computers has Dell pro support warranties and that it is top notch.

Dell accidental damage coverage is also top notch.

Unfortunately I also heard also bad things about the home product support team. On an entry level or home product Dell has to use less skilled, less responsive, less knowledgeable and therefore less expensive techs.
The machine I purchased is a business class laptop. The last thing that happened to it was damage in shipping because the person that worked on it packed the power supply right on top of the machine. The box was bulging because if the thickness of the machine and the power supply. They packed it this same way the time before that and thankfully it made it here with no issues. This time was different though. It took a hit in shipping and put big dents in the top of the display. They put it on hold at the shop and said I had to pay for it because that was not covered under the warrantee. I had to work my way up the food chain on the phone on that one to get them to fix it when it was their mistake and they don't insure their shipments.

like I said, I used to sing their praises. I can't do that anymore. I will think twice before buying from them again. I have always bought directly from them. I honestly get better service from Best Buy.

I hope you never run into the issues with them that I did. Your customers will be very unhappy if you do.

New laptop shows up today by 7:00 PM.

The Tascam recorder is here already and I've been getting to know it. Reading the manual is overwhelming.

Lots more to understand and purchase. Like microSD cards...whatever they are!

I'm definitely going to need some coaching.

I'm still going through boxes and finding my microphones and what not. I have some nice condensor mics...just haven't found them yet.

Emptied my music room and started rearranging things though.

Wish I had more room.

Laying it out so everyone faces the center like a band feels best.

It'll just be me on acoustic guitar and a percussionist at first.
Maybe think of it as Micro SD cards and the new, very tiny versions of blank cassettes used in Tascam recorders 35 years ago. Except they won't get crinkles nor wrapped up in spindles.

Anyway, it's been a long time since my audio engineering days (when digital was still fairly new; I still have DAT tapes and reels of Ampex 456), but the idea of sitting everyone around the mic(s) often works well, especially in a good sounding room. You may have to try positioning, listening, and adjusting distance of each musician at first, but you should get the hang of it.

If you position mics in different places remember the 3 to 1 rule (other mics three times the distance of the musician to the closest mic) to prevent phase cancellation.

As for laptops I've been using a Dell Inspiron I bought refurbished from their outlet when my MacBook went, and I decided to return to Windows world. It's been okay. But I've not been using it for recording, just office productivity, writing, e-meetings, and the internet.

My son handed me down his college laptop after he graduated. It's an old Lenovo T450. The RAM is maximized and I just added an SSD. Bought a used docking station allowing me to connect 2 more screens and it makes my DAW workflow easier! I also edit personal videos on it. It's not fast, but it's not $1,000+. It works fine for me. I don't do games.

Back