Shipping help / advice

Albrecht Smuten

Nine of Hearts
Hi all.
Since I'm not familiar with the PRS logistics (or logistics at all), this might be just stupid, but I need some help / advice / info...

I live in Czech Republic. Though there are many shops that sell PRS guitars, I don't believe they order directly from USA, they would probably get it from german dealers, thus adding multiple margins to the final price.

For example, the Mark Tremonti SE can be bought for 545 in Maryland, but it gets up to 769 here.

Is it possible for me to get it cheaper by ordering it directly (somehow)? Does anyone have any idea how much might the shipping cost? Or does anyone have any idea how to get the guitar here "the cheapest way possible"?

Thanks a lot for suggestions, this is really a big deal for me.

I shipped to Spain once, don't remember exact price. But it seemed to me, if you find something mint used in the USA, it was cheaper than buying the same there. I know that's not a lot of help directly answering your question.

I've never personally shipped or received any music equipt. outside the USA, but I have an idea that may help you. (I should state upfront that I'm not affilliated with any business in any way.) If you have a dealer in mind, or if you want to pick one from the list of official dealers on the PRS website, send them an e-mail explaining your situation. They can tell you what they have in stock ready to go, give you costs, shipping times, etc. That should at least give you a good starting point.

Good luck with it all.

Goldtop

Yes definitely talk to a dealer, they will be able to give you a door to door freight price. The other thing you need to check on is customs and duties. In Australia for example, we have to pay 10% tax on anything that is imported which has a combined item and shipping value of over 1000AUD. If it's 999.99AUD, we don't have to pay the 10%. You don't want to order a guitar only to find out it's stuck in customs awaiting a tax payment...! Good luck!

Allright, so here's the plan (and again, please forgive me any possible stupidity):

My boss regularly spents his holidays at Riverstrand golf club near Bradenton, Florida.
Nearest store is the GuitarCenter in Sarasota, about 20 miles south.
The idea is to contact the store, make sure the guitar will be there, let him buy it and fly it back here for me (on board).

Now,
does it count as a smuggling? (and if it does, how much of a bad thing is it? And is it against the Forum's rules to plan a crime here?)
Would they let him take the guitar on board? Would they ask questions about where he got it?
Do I have a chance to convince Sarasota's GuitarCenter to order a guitar they normally wouldn't (being a big chain store and all)?

Thanks for helpful comments...

If it's a PRS, any GC should be happy to get it for you. And it isn't smuggling, your boss will just have to pay any taxes/duties that might be charged as he comes back through customs. The big question is whether his airline will let him carry it on, or make him check it in and put it in the baggage hold under the plane. If they want him to check it, you're going to want a flight case to keep the guitar safe, which is $150+ USD. It's hard to know what the airline will want him to do, in a lot of cases it just depends on the airline employees. I think it can certainly be done on the airline, but I would definitely look into buying from a US shop and having them ship the guitar, it could be cheaper and easier. Good luck!

Thanks, Andy... I'll have to compare the prices when it's out (I'm talking about the 7string SE of course) and the shipping... I just wondered, if we can come up with any "alternative" way to get it here... for example... could it be ordered from the Korean factory directly? Or stuff like that...

Thanks, Andy... I'll have to compare the prices when it's out (I'm talking about the 7string SE of course) and the shipping... I just wondered, if we can come up with any "alternative" way to get it here... for example... could it be ordered from the Korean factory directly? Or stuff like that...

All SEs are shipped to Maryland by container (the big land/sea tractortrailer conex boxes). They are all inspected at the PRS factory in Stevensville before they are let loose. So the chance of getting one directly from Korea is about nil.

Back