Shamefully delayed N2GD X 3.....

Tosca

Zombie 10, DFZ
It's been a crazy start to 2014 for me...so apologies for not getting to this sooner...but I picked up these three "Not New" PRSi within a week of each other earlier this year. I say "not new" as they were each only a few months old, in mint condition, apparently there's three people out there who just didn't like these guitars right outta the gate (my gain). Now the last thing I needed was another guitar, much less three, but I just couldn't pass on these beauties especially given the deals I got. Since I've had them a while, there's a little story behind each one, and updates on what I've done or plan to do with them. I'll post better pics and details of each soon but for now.....a preliminary group shot.
017B9766-1761-4587-A6DA-8CA8176B3442_zps3ibmxouy.jpg

Left to right:
2013 Brian's Guitars Wood Library SC 245, Pearlescent White, IRW neck, Braz FB, 59/09's (Thanks again Brian!!!!)
2013 Paul's Guitar, FBJ (charcoal back), Braz FB
2013 Brent Mason, Antique White, Maple
Each one of these has a trip to PTC planned, or completed...what would you do?

Last edited:
OK..NNGD #1 2013 Paul's FBJ.
C51832C1-8DC4-4860-B0DD-7AD1691051BF_zpsk4wv6xm0.jpg

A70FF259-D4DD-4FAB-9109-56B39754182B_zpsahrsojvf.jpg

I picked her up on a straight up trade for an EVH USA Custom in cherry burst I had. Now that would have been a serious steal had the EVH in question not personally been signed by EVH (allegedly anyway). Now it was a big ugly signature on the very nice top, but I do believe it was authentic...it was part of a lot of 12 guitars signed in a promo for the large national vendor (rhymes with Sitar Mentor) at their Hollywood store. I thought it might have a reasonable resale (I generally do not by guitars to collect/invest, but to play). Here's the kicker...after over a year of pleading by me and my long-time salesperson (who is awesome and really pushed for this) with them they ignored/refused any request to provide the most basic authentication of the signature (like a letter from the store manager, anything..this after they initially said there were many pictures taken of EVH signing the guitars and they "probably" could even get me a picture/JPEG). I never bonded with or played the guitar and it just sat around and aggravated me...I didn't want the negative energy burning a hole in my gut...so I traded it for this beauty which I now play very day. It arrived with a minor electronics "glitch"...which PTC volunteered to fix free-of-charge, even though I told them upfront I was not the original owner. "If there's a problem with that recent a guitar we want to make it right." So good Karma prevailed, Bruce (my longtime guitar salesperson) found a great replacement/trade, and PTC made her like new (great set up as well, and I added some sharp faux bone tuner buttons too).

Nice scores! You must be having fun rocking out on those three. Some pretty serious gear in that room too.

:biggrin:

Thanks guys. Here's the scoop on NNGD # 2 Brians's guitars wood library run SC 245 RW neck.
First off....Brian and Corey are awesome...great service, fair price and they spec out some of the best wood library runs and PS guitars I've ever seen...this being no exception.
93EE2111-ADDA-48E8-874D-3DF6E460943E_zpsi5b15c9f.jpg

A9D3CBF8-FABA-4B37-A3CA-E55CF5876A74_zpsjip8szg5.jpg

This one is a snarling beast. Reminds me of a "departed" Les Paul Custom Silverburst (only at least 4 pounds lighter and even smoother playing)...I had to sell the LP or have back/shoulder surgery. It was a tough choice...but this one has totally replaced that loss in every way...except one. To be honest, didn't really care for the pearlescent white, and while it's grown on me a bit...I think it would look killer refinished in SilverBurst. Can anyone (hello Sergio?) talk me out of this crazy idea?

I picked her up on a straight up trade for an EVH USA Custom in cherry burst I had.

SUCKER!!!!! :beer:

To be honest, didn't really care for the pearlescent white, and while it's grown on me a bit...I think it would look killer refinished in SilverBurst. Can anyone (hello Sergio?) talk me out of this crazy idea?

Gladly... You're f@ckin' nuts!!! The contrast of the pearlescent white and the rosewood neck is sofaking bangin', and it has the added subversion of being a Wood Library top thats been covered with an opaque color! That's like a big F.U. to the pretty wood cork sniffers out there... which is badass... and then you flip it over to see that sexy neck?!?! SHAZAM!

White also goes with everything... and it never goes outta style... ALWAYS bet on blanc.

That is so damn cool! Congrats on the scores. Now I am waiting for the story on the Brent Mason. I've been drooling over both the Mason and the Paul's. Can't wait for the tone comparison.

Thank you Sergio...I was expecting that. Thanks also for not insulting my blue Paul's....

Oh, and keep the pearly! That is so unique and, as Sergio said, in contrast to the rosewood neck, BANGIN!

That is so damn cool! Congrats on the scores. Now I am waiting for the story on the Brent Mason. I've been drooling over both the Mason and the Paul's. Can't wait for the tone comparison.
Give me a day on the Mason....I'm talking with PTC about a way to make that an even more versatile setup...if you can picture that. I'm kind of surprised you don't hear more about the BM model....it's very nice. The narrow 408's in the Paul's and the BM are theoretically identical....but it's hard to imagine two guitars having a more different sound/feel than those two (both good). If you had to pick two to cover all bases...they'd do it.

Give me a day on the Mason....I'm talking with PTC about a way to make that an even more versatile setup...if you can picture that. I'm kind of surprised you don't hear more about the BM model....it's very nice. The narrow 408's in the Paul's and the BM are theoretically identical....but it's hard to imagine two guitars having a more different sound/feel than those two (both good). If you had to pick two to cover all bases...they'd do it.

I'll be waiting...

...are you ready, yet?

How about now?

Now?

I'm interested to hear your comparison on the differences between those two. Obviously different woods, bridges, and constructions, but to hear they are so different is very intriguing.

Oh yeah, are you ready now?

Finally NNGD #3 Brent Mason Sig Antique White:
Somebody must have had this one for about 5 minutes. I love the neck, Feels like an old maple neck (or pro relic job) with all of the finish worn off. I love the sound of the bridge and neck pickups SC or HB. They are so bright and snappy without being harsh, very different than the midrange snarl the same pickups have in my Paul's. Not sure if it's the neck wood, bridge or scale length, probably all three. I'm not as crazy about the 305 mixed the 408's for N/M and M/B combinations, the 408's are too dominant., so it's not that true "in-between sound" you get with a good Strat. Really wish I could hear some neck/bridge combinations with the 408's. Also the 305 pickup sits a little high for my preference. So after many e-mails and suggestions back and forth with PTC (thanks Matt)...she's back in MD having something fancy done...any guesses?
251A1172-C1B7-44D8-8BE2-AC4ED9DCFB58_zpseyffezu8.jpg

505F0CDE-54E0-45A4-9888-F40BFA4E59B5_zpscfi1r5d8.jpg

Back