Semi hollow pickups

I was asking more in general to see what different types people prefer and to start a discussion.
I predominantly play with a bluesy overdrive tone, but also like a warm clean.

How about the new 58/15's, does anyone have any first hand experience with these yet?
niether those or the 57/08's are listed on the Prs website. Just the 58/09's

How about the new 58/15's, does anyone have any first hand experience with these yet?
niether those or the 57/08's are listed on the Prs website. Just the 58/09's

I have 58/15s on my new McCarty, and 57/08s on my McCarty Singlecut.

They're both great pickups, and they do different things. I've posted my clips of these over and over, and I'm sure everyone is sick to death of them, so PM me and I'll send you some links.

I have 58/15s on my new McCarty, and 57/08s on my McCarty Singlecut.

They're both great pickups, and they do different things. I've posted my clips of these over and over, and I'm sure everyone is sick to death of them, so PM me and I'll send you some links.

I like both the 57/08 and the 58/15 through the DG30 in your clips. I think the 58/15's are a little cleaner

I went with pickups you can obtain at the moment, PTC will install 57/08s and you can find either them or 53/10s on the 2nd hand market.

If 58/15s ever pop up I'll try my hardest to score some!

I like both the 57/08 and the 58/15 through the DG30 in your clips. I think the 58/15's are a little cleaner

Well, they're a little brighter and more P90 ish.

However, in the 5708 clips I had the amps set for far more distortion. And I had the guitar volumes wide open.That's one reason why the 58/15 clips are cleaner, plus in the 58/15 clip I had the guitar volume on around 4.

If I had set the guitar volume to 4 in the 57/08 clips, they'd have sounded a lot cleaner, too.

You can't really tell too much from a recording, because what was done is often very different between two sessions.

Another reason is that in the 57/08 clips, I was using an SM57 an inch from the grille of the amp, and the whole recording process was different from the distant ribbon mic setup I used on the 58/15 clip. The 58/15 clips was recorded not to show off the pickups, but because I was interested in the miking technique. It's only by coincidence that I happened to have the McCarty on hand. I could have used a different guitar and run it very low volume, too.

So I wouldn't necessarily make that judgment based only on the clips, my intent was mostly to further the discussion along, and mainly give you a sense of what the 57/08s do on a Singlecut.

Last edited:
Depends on what style of music you play and what kind of tones you're after...

I was asking more in general to see what different types people prefer and to start a discussion.

Well, it's kind of like playing chess -- the first several moves are standard responses, so "it depends" is always the first response, with such a vague question.

This one has a spruce top. The spruce's high end is a little different from maple, brighter overall but the brightness is more spread out and there's a little more going on at higher frequencies. As a result I think the 57/08s are an ideal match. I have 58/15s in a different (chambered but not "semi-hollow" i.e., no F-holes) guitar. They sound great in that one but with those pickups in this guitar I think I'd lose a little fullness and it might start to be a bit shrill.

PRS%20PS%204305.jpg

This one has a spruce top. The spruce's high end is a little different from maple, brighter overall but the brightness is more spread out and there's a little more going on at higher frequencies. As a result I think the 57/08s are an ideal match. I have 58/15s in a different (chambered but not "semi-hollow" i.e., no F-holes) guitar. They sound great in that one but with those pickups in this guitar I think I'd lose a little fullness and it might start to be a bit shrill.

PRS%20PS%204305.jpg
Very nice HB, that's the first time I've seen inlays like that.

The #7's in S2 Semi-Hollows are warm and clean, lower output. From what I've heard about them, 53/10's would be your thing if you can find them, if you already have the guitar and just want to swap pickups.

Back