SE594 modding saga continues...

markd21

Over the last couple of days I began taking the 594 apart and reassembling with Core parts.

Observations:

Bridge/tailpiece: The stock bridge is aluminum with pointy brass saddles. I scored an early Core 594 brass bridge with the squared saddles. The tailpieces seemed identical - same weight, etc. However, I went ahead and installed the tailpiece that came with the Core bridge.

Instantly, that modification alone improved the tone. It did not bring the clarity that @garrett has on his 2016 Core 594, but it is closer.

Tuners: I added the Mannmade Vintage locking tuners and they feel great!! I still may do a Phase III upgrade some day, but these are a marked improvement over the tuners that were on there.

Ironically, the Mann tuners are the same make as the stock. So it's not an improvement in quality. The stock tuners on my 594 slipped a lot. It was very annoying.

So where does that leave things?

After the current mods, I decided to go full-magilla and get the 58/15LT pickups. Ordered them last night. When I get them the electronics will get upgraded and then maybe @garrett and I can compare again to see if the mods bring the SE closer to the desired tone of a 2016-era 594.

Last edited:
Interesting that the bridge and tailpiece swap made a difference since everyone says that they are the same parts as the core. I have done a bunch of mods to my SE594 and I have been wondering about the bridge/tailpiece.

Tuners: I added the Mannmade Vintage locking tuners and they feel great!! I still may do a Phase III upgrade some day, but these are a marked improvement over the tuners that were on there.
I'll be upgrading to locking tuners on my DGT SE when it arrives. The PRS replacements have leapt in price and are often out of stock in the UK. Do you know if there are alternatives I can use as a direct drop-in?

Right on!! To me, that's the best year - 2016!! This bridge has unplated brass saddles too butey are very tarnished. The nickel has rubbed off on the low E side too.

Can you take a gut shot? I want to compare the current PRS drop-in 594 electronics to the 2016 harness. Thanks if you can, cool if you can't!!

Right on!! To me, that's the best year - 2016!! This bridge has unplated brass saddles too butey are very tarnished. The nickel has rubbed off on the low E side too.

Can you take a gut shot? I want to compare the current PRS drop-in 594 electronics to the 2016 harness. Thanks if you can, cool if you can't!!
I don't have a good way to share photos. I don't use any of the pic hosting sites.

I'll be upgrading to locking tuners on my DGT SE when it arrives. The PRS replacements have leapt in price and are often out of stock in the UK. Do you know if there are alternatives I can use as a direct drop-in?

Fudge!! They have hiked in price.

I bought a set from Andertons in early ‘21 and they were the same price as these -

If they fit, you can’t go wrong with Gotoh stuff. Solid, reliable and good value for us in UK.

P2eKqfb.jpg

TdLurw5.jpg

hhEjrRI.jpg

Thanks dude!!! That's VERY different than what I bought...hmmmm. I don't know jack about all those resistors. I'll send a pic of what I've got if you could take a look...

I'm curious to see it. Don't know what they do with push/pulls and the TCI pickups nowadays.

They were doing the partial split resistor thing then (holy carp how is this guitar 7 years old?).

My 594 is a 2016. It has this same bridge on it but mine has raw brass saddles. They are not plated like this one. I also have an SC-58 with the same bridge as my 594.
Mine is a 2017 with the un-plated brass saddles as well. Same with my 2014 McCarty Singlecut PS, though the McCarty SC bridge and tailpiece are an aluminum alloy with brass saddles, posts and wheels, instead of the plated zinc with brass saddles, posts and wheels that the 594 uses.

The ongoing saga of my SE594 continues (I love this guitar!)

Here is my complete mod/build thread on TGP

YS7XpNq.png

kU10va4.jpg

ZTmRfhv.jpg

Added matching Dimarzio rings. Much better color match and better angle. Not for PRS purists maybe but I like it. :)

Last edited:
Back