SE Standard vs SE Custom

What a beauty!

I have two SE Custom 24s, and I chose them because of the maple cap (I’m a clarity nut when it comes to tone) and the unbound neck. I don’t like binding on the neck for some reason, and the Standards have bound necks
I've had this SE Custom and another (Indonesian, not as nice) and the both had bound bodies, fingerboards and headstocks. Both had veneered headstocks as well.

I've had this SE Custom and another (Indonesian, not as nice) and the both had bound bodies, fingerboards and headstocks. Both had veneered headstocks as well.

There are so many variants now, I’m sure lots of Customs have bound fretboards. But the basic Customs do not, while the basic Standards do.

@Acnestes,

The site that you provided. Some quotes:
"The SE Custom 24's mahogany body and rosewood top hold two great-sounding PRS..."
"....midrange and top-end clarity (and the beautiful rosewood top veneer helps make this instrument a real looker)."

So, to summarize for the OP...

In the past, SE Custom meant a Maple-capped Mahogany body topped with a pretty veneer. The neck: a Wide/Thin Maple neck.

In the past, SE Standards meant a solid mahogany body with a Wide/Fat mahogany beck.

Dealer-sponsored special runs defy common standards and the SE Standard 24 model usually has a Maple neck with a Wide/Thin carve (like the Custom 24).

I hope you found some answers in this thread.

@Acnestes,

The site that you provided. Some quotes:
"The SE Custom 24's mahogany body and rosewood top hold two great-sounding PRS..."
"....midrange and top-end clarity (and the beautiful rosewood top veneer helps make this instrument a real looker)."
Right you are! The word "veneer" was not there before.

Let’s get real here, everyone knows that a guitar with a rosewood neck (not fretboard) is an expensive instrument, so you’re not gonna get an SE with a rosewood top!

Rant over (apologies for raising my voice)

Exactly, which is why I was skeptical of what Sweetwater said in the first place.

So, to summarize for the OP...

In the past, SE Custom meant a Maple-capped Mahogany body topped with a pretty veneer. The neck: a Wide/Thin Maple neck.

In the past, SE Standards meant a solid mahogany body with a Wide/Fat mahogany beck.

Dealer-sponsored special runs defy common standards and the SE Standard 24 model usually has a Maple neck with a Wide/Thin carve (like the Custom 24).

I hope you found some answers in this thread.

In other words, when all is said and done, a particular guitar is a Standard or a Custom because that's what PRS decided to call it.

Right you are! The word "veneer" was not there before.
That's funny. The Internet Archive has a copy of that page from Nov 21 2018, and the word "veneer" appears on it. Check it out for yourself.

https://web.archive.org/web/2018112...stom-24-sweetwater-exclusive-natural-rosewood

On Dec 31, 2019 you mentioned:
I just got a new Custom 24 SE from Sweetwater with the rosewood veneer, which is Korean, and It is a far better guitar. I'm not condemning all Indonesian guitars, but the one I got was a clunker.

That seems to me to be well after Sweetwater's mention of veneer.

That's funny. The Internet Archive has a copy of that page from Nov 21 2018, and the word "veneer" appears on it. Check it out for yourself.

https://web.archive.org/web/2018112...stom-24-sweetwater-exclusive-natural-rosewood

On Dec 31, 2019 you mentioned:

That seems to me to be well after Sweetwater's mention of veneer.

By golly, TimS., it seem like you got me!

If you scroll down on the current page to the tech specs, though, you will see that it now says that it's a rosewood top, whereas the archive page you found says it's a veneer. If you have time perhaps you'll want to track down whenever that change happened. I guess one can't be sure of either ones memories or everything one reads when one reads it.

Would it not be worth it to get one now that they’re being made in Indonesia as opposed to Korea? I don’t like to buy used.

Would it not be worth it to get one now that they’re being made in Indonesia as opposed to Korea? I don’t like to buy used.

It seems like they're are still available new from both places. The one I just got from Sweetwater is Korean. On Sweetwater's site they often have photos of the actual guitar you'll get, and if you zoom in on the back of the headstock shot it says where it was manufactured. Make sure it is the actual guitar, though, as some styles can be from both.

It seems like they're are still available new from both places. The one I just got from Sweetwater is Korean. On Sweetwater's site they often have photos of the actual guitar you'll get, and if you zoom in on the back of the headstock shot it says where it was manufactured. Make sure it is the actual guitar, though, as some styles can be from both.
I think the Sweetwater exclusives are still made in Korea, I just don’t totally like the finishes and the fact that they have binding on the neck.

I think the Standards are all made in Indonesia. The Customs can come from either Indonesia or Korea, and you won't know which it is unless the place you buy from has the headstock photos up. Moore Guitars has some Korean ones. There are other dealers too if you check out the dealer page on PRS. You can also buy off Reverb.com new from the many stores that sell on there. Even if a guitar is not a current year model, it could be sold new. My S2 I just got was brand new from 2017. Just hadn't sold until I bought it, and man did those other guys miss out.

-k

Is there a noticeable difference in quality between the Indonesian and Korean Customs? I have no qualms about where it’s made as long as it plays well and doesn’t look cheap. I’m mainly concerned about level frets.

Last edited:
I honestly can't tell, but there are people who have had some minor issues with quality control when it comes to the Indonesian guitars that to me, looks more like very small cosmetic issues. The best course of action would be to buy the guitar you want from a vendor that has a decent and fair return policy. That way you are protected if anything goes wrong. I can vouch personally for Moore Guitars. They sold me my first PRS, an SE Custom 24 last spring, and they give you a few days to evaluate the guitar.

-k

When referring to Indonesian SEs, it’s good to distinguish between the older “PT Wildwood” guitars and the newer “Cor-Tek” guitars.

I don’t recall reading about many issues with PT Wildwood guitars. But I have read a few posts about Indonesian Cor-Tek guitars having issues.

That said, I haven’t personally encountered any issues with *any* Indonesian SEs.

You can still buy new Korean made SE's. Some shops still have them in stock, like said it will be manufactured earlier as all latest SE's come from Indonesia. My Custom Zebrawood comes from. Korea, bought last week. The standard that I bought originally came from Indonesia. When returning the standard to exchange for the zebrawood, they also had an Indonesian custom. As curious as I was, although already made up my mind, I still had a look to see the quality. Couldn't find any flaws.

A guitar from PRS will not look cheap even a model which is made abroad will be up to high standards. Find a dealer that is straight forward with returns if it is not up to your liking or find a dealer close by and visit the store so that you can inspect before you buy.

When referring to Indonesian SEs, it’s good to distinguish between the older “PT Wildwood” guitars and the newer “Cor-Tek” guitars.

I don’t recall reading about many issues with PT Wildwood guitars. But I have read a few posts about Indonesian Cor-Tek guitars having issues.

That said, I haven’t personally encountered any issues with *any* Indonesian SEs.

I have a PT Wildwood and it’s the dogs (edit: hairy) baws!:D

Last edited:
Back