SE Standard 24 or SE Mira

eosmundson

Hello,
I'm looking to get my first PRS and I think I have settled on these two models to pick from.
I own a Yamaha Revstar RS420 and a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and am looking to start exploring the PRS side of things.
The SE Standard 24 is $499 and the SE Mira is $699. I notice that there are a lot of similarities between these two, such as the pickups, push/pull tone knob, scale length, neck profile.
The differences seem to be the neck material (maple in the Standard and mahogany in the Mira), the Mira has a graphite compound nut versus synthetic(plastic?) in the Standard, and the different bridges. The Mira also comes with a gig bag.

Is there going to be a real difference between these two guitars aside from the tremolo and two additional frets? Is the Mira worth the additional $200? Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Worth it is all relative. It’s 24 frets vs 22 frets.The pickup placement will be different, and the sounds will be very different. The string tension and ability to bend notes will also be different. Play them both, see which one you like the feel of more.

Different vibes, for sure. Can you play them both? See which one speaks to you.

Thanks, both of you!
I've played an SE Standard 24 and it was pretty nice, but at the time I had my heart set on the Jazzmaster and that's what I went home with.
The Mira is really calling to me, but I do plan to give both of them a fair shot. I'm not a big tremolo user. In fact, a lot of the time I don't even have the tremolo arm installed on my Jazzmaster.

On your budget or a tad more, you may be able to get an S2 in the used market.

With what you have now, it would be nice tonadd a US made body to your stable this time around.

Nothing nad about the SE lines.

The SE Standard 24 is $499 and the SE Mira is $699.

Is there going to be a real difference between these two guitars aside from the tremolo and two additional frets? Is the Mira worth the additional $200?

I have an SE Custom 24. What attracted me to it was the wide thin neck. The SE Mira also has the wide thin neck and they both offer easy access to the upper frets. I don't use the tremolo and wound up blocking the bridge for better tuning stability. They both come with the 85/15 S pickups. Since you also don't use the tremolo I would consider the Mira for the stoptail bridge. :)

On your budget or a tad more, you may be able to get an S2 in the used market.

With what you have now, it would be nice tonadd a US made body to your stable this time around.

Nothing nad about the SE lines.

I'd like to get a US made PRS, if possible. A new S2 is definitely out of my budget, but a used one might be within reach. If I were to get an S2, I think the Vela is at the top of my list. Offset guitars appeal to me and the singlecoil at the neck paired with the bridge humbucker seems like it might give a wide range. I wouldn't have any way to play one before buying though. None of the shops around me carry Velas.

Velas are very cool. They sound and feel good. It's a different animal than either the Mira or Std. Play one, if you can.

Back