SE Paul's Guitar questions

In Les Pauls i also use a 10-46 but in my Pul’s SE i’m using 9-42 becouse of the different mensure.It works well to me.I’ve tried with both and the 10s are hard to me more than i like.I’m also using EB strings.

I might also add, try using a set of 8's and see how you like them. I've been using 8's for years, mainly due to injuries on the middle finger of my left hand, but I never saw a huge difference in tone from them to a set of 9's. Bends are super easy on 8's too.

I might also add, try using a set of 8's and see how you like them. I've been using 8's for years, mainly due to injuries on the middle finger of my left hand, but I never saw a huge difference in tone from them to a set of 9's. Bends are super easy on 8's too.
I wondering in nowadays that i would try it becouse i have carpal tunnel in my left hand but i don’t tried.Maybe in the next restring time i do! :)

I wondering in nowadays that i would try it becouse i have carpal tunnel in my left hand but i don’t tried.Maybe in the next restring time i do! :)

Yeah, absolutely try them! I remember it was BB King who turned Billy Gibbons on to them, and now he plays 7's, and those guys have no lack of tone. Back in the days when I was playing 10's and doing bends, the skin under my fingernails would get peeled back and eventually just pulled completely away. I would have to wait a week to heal before I could play. Once I made the switch to 8's, never had those problems again. I would even do 7's, but D'Addario doesn't make them, only Rotosound and Dunlop. I can never find Rotosound strings and I'm not a fan of Dunlop strings.

Yeah, absolutely try them! I remember it was BB King who turned Billy Gibbons on to them, and now he plays 7's, and those guys have no lack of tone. Back in the days when I was playing 10's and doing bends, the skin under my fingernails would get peeled back and eventually just pulled completely away. I would have to wait a week to heal before I could play. Once I made the switch to 8's, never had those problems again. I would even do 7's, but D'Addario doesn't make them, only Rotosound and Dunlop. I can never find Rotosound strings and I'm not a fan of Dunlop strings.
I've found a YT video wich demonstrate the sound differences:
So i don't hear big different between the gauges.I will try the 8 ! :)

So i don't hear big different between the gauges.I will try the 8 ! :)

Yup, seen the same video too, good ol Rick Beato. You will notice a little difference once you get up to say...11's, but the price your hands pay isnt worth it. That reminds me, another guy who is kinda in the same boat as us: Tony Iommi. You probably already know about how he cut his fingertips off in a machining accident. I believe he uses 8's in standard and 9's in lower tunings. So there ya go, the dude who wrote the Ironman riff uses 8's. Go figure.

Do keep in mind if youre used to playing heavier strings, you'll have to change how you grip the neck when you go this light. That is to say, no Kung-Fu death grip is required. Once I made changes there, I rarely break a string. There is the possibility of when you fret a note, if you have a hard grip, you can push the note sharp just with downward finger pressure, so you may find yourself using a lighter touch with your fretting hand.

Yup, seen the same video too, good ol Rick Beato. You will notice a little difference once you get up to say...11's, but the price your hands pay isnt worth it. That reminds me, another guy who is kinda in the same boat as us: Tony Iommi. You probably already know about how he cut his fingertips off in a machining accident. I believe he uses 8's in standard and 9's in lower tunings. So there ya go, the dude who wrote the Ironman riff uses 8's. Go figure.

Do keep in mind if youre used to playing heavier strings, you'll have to change how you grip the neck when you go this light. That is to say, no Kung-Fu death grip is required. Once I made changes there, I rarely break a string. There is the possibility of when you fret a note, if you have a hard grip, you can push the note sharp just with downward finger pressure, so you may find yourself using a lighter touch with your fretting hand.
"You will notice a little difference once you get up to say...11's, but the price your hands pay isnt worth it."
Deffinietly!
"so you may find yourself using a lighter touch with your fretting hand."
It's true i think.I'm afraid a bit of the picking and 'couse i'm using Dunlop Jazz III picks wich are 1 mm thick and i really like this picks.Best are wich i've ever used.Maybe i will breake some strings in the begining of the walk on this way.

Back