SE Paul's Guitar questions

Voxen

Hi there,

I've purchased my first PRS guitar, its an SE Paul's Guitar fire red.
Already in love with it :)

I'd like to know what strings are recommended for this guitar?
It's not listed in the specs.

I'm using Ernie Ball regular slinky (10-46) on my LP. Would they fit on the PRS without adjusting the nut?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, SEs come with 9-42 strings. Going up to 10-46 shouldn't require a nut adjustment, but if it does, it would be very minor.

Thanks!

I’d like to try 9-42 strings, will that require a nut adjustment?

For optimum feel and tone, it's always best to dial-in the guitar for the string gauge being used. This means it might require a slight truss rod tweak and a slight adjustment to the intonation and claw screws, if you had a trem equipped guitar.

Man, you can set up a guitar to use whatever string gauge you want. This is guitar 101 stuff that every guitarist should know and be able to do.

Man, you can set up a guitar to use whatever string gauge you want. This is guitar 101 stuff that every guitarist should know and be able to do.
Everyone starts from the same place. Patience is a virtue.

Howdy - While most of the SE line is strung with 9-42 gauge strings, the Paul's SE is strung with 10-46 gauge strings.

Hi,

sorry for digging out this old thread, but I just purchased an SE Paul's Guitar Fire Red just like the OP. I wonder if 10-46 is still recommended because the PRS website states

All SE* instruments are factory set-up with 9 - 42 gauge strings (except for the Mike Mushok Baritone, which is set-up with D?Addario XL157 - 14-68). *SE Bernie Marsden comes setup with 10-46 gauge strings."

I'm not supposed to post any links because I'm a new user but it's the first result when searching for "changing string gauges" at prsguitars.com. For now I'd like to stick with the original gauges because I'm not familiar with adjusting stoptail bridges yet. Can you please advise?

Thanks a lot!

I wonder if 10-46 is still recommended because the PRS website states. For now I'd like to stick with the original gauges because I'm not familiar with adjusting stoptail bridges yet. Can you please advise?

If you're comfortable playing the 10-46 string set and you like the sound you're good to go.

I use a set of 8s on mine, but it did end up requiring a new nut. I wpuld add you might want to consider swapping the nut out anyway, even if you don't plan to use any different string gauges. I thought the stock nut was a bit too soft.

Thanks for your quick replies. I think my question was a bit ambiguous. I bought the guitar recently and have no idea what strings what it was factory set-up with. According to the PRS website it should be 9-42, but according to Shawn's posting it should be 10-46. I'm perfectly fine with the strings I'm using right now and have no intention to change gauges, but I don't know what to buy when they need to be replaced. The ball ends are colorful, so I suppose it could be D'addarios, but 9-42 or 10-46? Thanks again!

The ball ends are colorful, so I suppose it could be D'addarios, but 9-42 or 10-46? Thanks again!

Ah I see. So they do come with D'addarios. I'm not sure if they use regular D'addarios or the PRS branded ones. When it comes to string brands, it's good to experiment and try different ones to see what you like. I still use D'addarios to this day.

Thanks for your quick replies. I think my question was a bit ambiguous. I bought the guitar recently and have no idea what strings what it was factory set-up with. According to the PRS website it should be 9-42, but according to Shawn's posting it should be 10-46. I'm perfectly fine with the strings I'm using right now and have no intention to change gauges, but I don't know what to buy when they need to be replaced. The ball ends are colorful, so I suppose it could be D'addarios, but 9-42 or 10-46? Thanks again!

Not all SEs come with 9-42s. Some of them, like the Bernie and the Paul’s come stock with 10-46s.

In Les Pauls i also use a 10-46 but in my Pul’s SE i’m using 9-42 becouse of the different mensure.It works well to me.I’ve tried with both and the 10s are hard to me more than i like.I’m also using EB strings.

Back