SE Hollowbody II... Is it a conspiracy ?

CrimesAgainstMusic

The Hollowbodies... are all PRS pretty. All are great examples of what PRS can do, in a cost effective guitar.

Some are "prettier" than others. The most expensive "Piezo", has jazzy colors, and fancier "birds" and binding, in addition to the additional electronics.

My own bias is to the " II" version, with the the flamed maple veneer.. I'm not sure that the maple veneer provides a different enough tone, but I am sure that the flamed veneer, is a bonus worth the $150 premium over the Standard.

Therein lies my "problem". I prefer the Tri Color Sunburst over the Charcoal, as I tend to like "brownish/reddish" guitars especially with flamed tops or translucent enough to see attractive wood grain in the finish....

And between the Charcoal and the Tri Color, PRS appears to be directing the use of the flamier/stripier veneer ...in the Charcoal models ... Not a luthier or woodworker, I just can't understand why the Charcoal versions seem to have more "5Top" flame (hey these are SE's so no 10 Tops allowed !) unless this is done deliberately to steer buyers to what might be a not as popular color ...:rolleyes:

The Charcoal is pretty. I recall seeing a picture of one on a site that was absolutely gorgeous. But I still like the woody brown tones better, and I'm just wondering if the perception I have, is just a case of aspartame in the KoolAid as opposed to cane sugar ...

I will be looking for a stripey Tri Color ... but tonight on the candywater guys site, I saw a Standard in Tobacco that was absolutely smokin. So get with it PRS ! Or I'll just have to keep buyin' Hollowbodies, until I find a Tri Color stripey enough !!!:mad:

H'mmm ... maybe that powder in the Kool Aid was sumthin' else :rolleyes:...

It could be possible. I do actually think they save their better veneers for certain models. Most of the Paul's SE axes I've seen seem to have better tops than their Custom 24 or 22 counterparts.

For what it's worth, I don't think its impossible to have a "10 top" quality veneer on an SE. I've seen some killer ones here and there that honestly can rival some domestic 10 Tops IMO. Of course its a luck of the draw, but its part of what makes SE hunting exciting to me, hunting for THAT one looker and squirreling out a good deal.

It could be possible. I do actually think they save their better veneers for certain models. Most of the Paul's SE axes I've seen seem to have better tops than their Custom 24 or 22 counterparts.

For what it's worth, I don't think its impossible to have a "10 top" quality veneer on an SE. I've seen some killer ones here and there that honestly can rival some domestic 10 Tops IMO. Of course its a luck of the draw, but its part of what makes SE hunting exciting to me, hunting for THAT one looker and squirreling out a good deal.

WHOA ! You have a point about the Paul's Guitar. I had never bothered to look at one, as I figure them to be too muck like the CU 24 ... But the Paul's is SUPER STRIPEY !!! :confused:

Me Thinks , The PusherMan ... is manipulating us with Flame ! :eek::eek::eek: Its like, they can do flamey wherever they want (but at least not like Harley Benton, which I believe uses photos of flame ???) maybe to insure "uniformity" ???

Some get actual cane sugar in the Kool Aid, (The Paul's) and others ... get "Equal" (my desired Tri Colors) ...:eek:

I know how I'd like to buy this guitar, but with flame being in such variance, I may have to abandon my chosen guy, and go wherever I find the stripey top !:oops:

WHOA ! You have a point about the Paul's Guitar. I had never bothered to look at one, as I figure them to be too muck like the CU 24 ... But the Paul's is SUPER STRIPEY !!! :confused:

Me Thinks , The PusherMan ... is manipulating us with Flame ! :eek::eek::eek: Its like, they can do flamey wherever they want (but at least not like Harley Benton, which I believe uses photos of flame ???) maybe to insure "uniformity" ???

Some get actual cane sugar in the Kool Aid, (The Paul's) and others ... get "Equal" (my desired Tri Colors) ...:eek:

I know how I'd like to buy this guitar, but with flame being in such variance, I may have to abandon my chosen guy, and go wherever I find the stripey top !:oops:

Yeah, virtually every PG SE I've seen has really stripey flame. Some wider of course, some thinner, but none of em I've seen have been sub-par. The one I've been on the hunt for the most is an orange Santana SE. The majority of the ones I've seen have tight flame patterns, but every now and then you see a special one.

On my PG, I think I got some nice cane sugar in this one. Lol
ZSQ1IKr.jpg

Back