SE custom 24 vs SE Zach Myers

Jeffery Kintz

Hello all,
I have been scanning through here looking for a better place to ask this but didn't see a particularly appropriate spot.
I have been offered an opportunity to own a PRS for the first time as a Christmas present and I find myself in a dilemma that I hope the more experienced folks here might be able to help me with. I have been traditionally a Fender guy, but have always wanted a PRS but could never rationalize the cost in my own head. After researching and researching, and more researching I have narrowed it down to an SE custom 24 and a Zach Myers signature SE.
The 2017 ZM will not be available until after Christmas, but more than that, I find myself leaning more toward the custom 24 and wanted some help making a decision from people who had more time on the instruments than myself before I made the call. any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Of course the answer is to play both and choose, if something prevents that, I'd say make the choice based on adding to the tonal pallet and not trying to match the Strat. The Cu24 will have a more modern feel and tone and the ZM will be a more traditional singlecut. The ZM neck feels wonderful with the satin finish. I don't hear a lot of difference with the semi-hollow F hole but others might. Both are well worth the money.

If I were you, and I were a Strat guy, I'd go opposite and grab the ZM.

Absolutely, this!

I've owned both the SE CU24 and the ZM.

Without question...if the intent is the broaden the horizons, I'd go with the ZM.

I spent a few hours with mine, yesterday...and it is phenomenal in ways I can't begin to describe. I'd go so far as to say it can go toe to toe with a Core model in many respects.

The OP can't lose with either choice...but I'd snag a Zach Meyers, and never look back!

Thanks for the feedback. The other issue for consideration, for me, is that the new ZM model will not be available until after the new year, I think that this definitely demonstrates the desire to own this guitar for a multitude of reasons, on the other hand I would rather not sit on an open ended order. All the sites I have looked at are changing the availability for shipping date, some going all the way out to April or March. Actually doing a hands on comparison is not likely given that none if the shops in my area seem to carry anything but core series and higher end options.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. The other issue for consideration, for me, is that the new ZM model will not be available until after the new year, I think that this definitely demonstrates the desire to own this guitar for a multitude of reasons, on the other hand I would rather not sit on an open ended order. All the sites I have looked at are changing the availability for shipping date, some going all the way out to April or March. Actually doing a hands on comparison is not likely given that none if the shops in my area seem to carry anything but core series and higher end options.

I completely understand your rationale.

Something to consider is getting a 2016 ZM...at what could be a decent discounted price.

I think the only change between the two is the headstock logo. I may be mistaken...but I seem to remember that being discussed on here, somewhere.

Like I said...you win, either way. Both are great instruments.

I completely understand your rationale.

Something to consider is getting a 2016 ZM...at what could be a decent discounted price.

I think the only change between the two is the headstock logo. I may be mistaken...but I seem to remember that being discussed on here, somewhere.

Like I said...you win, either way. Both are great instruments.
Yea, I think there was a minor pickup upgrade as well as the changes to the headstock logo, which I could honestly live without. I have yet to find any sort of discounted pricing on an older model short of buying used, which I am hesitant to do for obvious reasons. 679 is the standard price everywhere I have looked for older and newer models and the Custom 24 runs in the 750 range so there is that as well. I do appreciate the input.

My suggestion: be patient. :D
HAHA, that is not a personality trait that I have in abundance. I think the bigger issue than patience for me is that while I play all kinds of music, I am concerned that the semi hollow is not going to have the warmth of tone that I am looking for. All the reviews I have read and watched say that the ZM is an amazing instrument but lacks the low end tone due to the chambered body.

Please post a review and pics if possible, I'm considering a 2017 SE Custom 24 in my future myself!

Congrats! I'm certain that you will be pleased. They are awesome guitars.
Just got the guitar today, I have to say that the quality of the build is not lacking. very well made and finished. I only had a few minutes to play it before it had to go back in the box for Christmas but I will say that it's probably going to need a set of strings and a fresh setup. It came in with a decent setup, action and intonation seemed good, no flaws I could find there, however, tuning was not exactly the most stable something I will have to look at in the future. Overall extremely pleased with the purchase!

I would go for the ZM simply because it's a semi hollow and it comes in a beautiful Trampas green! I played one yesterday and looks and sounds amazing.

I saw a ZM at west music in Coralville Iowa on Saturday. Fyi

Opened my SE custom 24 for Christmas and I have to say that I love it. I do, however, have a question. Is it normal to have tuning stability issues as soon the guitar arrives? Doesn't seem to be binding at the nut but there is a bit of spring noise coming from the trem. The E and A seem to be most effected. When fretting notes on the E string, with moderate pressure, the note goes sharp.
I thought maybe it was an issue with binding at the nut making the string ride too high, but the action looks good. Debating whether I should just drop a set of 10s on it and redo the setup altogether.

Back