SE Custom 24 mods

Yosua Wijaya

Hi guys,

I just bought my first electric guitar recently and I want to do some modification. My guitar is the 35th anniversary SE custom 24.

I have done my first mods; changing the standard tuning machines to the SE locking tuners and it looks great and improve the tuning stability.

After this I want to do more mods:

1. Change the nut (SE comes with the bronze powdered plastic nut) to the bone nut

2. Change the pickup rings to the paul's guitar because it looks like the core instrument

3. Change the tuner buttons to the phase 3 locking tuners bone faux button or S2 pearloid button.

I want to ask your opinion on my mods before I made the purchase so it won't go to waste. Please advise!

Best Regards,

Joshua

Pickups rings and tuner buttons are very simple upgrade. I would take your guitar to a good luthier for the bone nut. As for the button, the phase 3 buttons will not fit. I’m not sure on the S2 buttons since I have never seen the SE locking tuners. If they are the same as the S2, then you will not have any fitment issues. The the tuners are the same as the SE, you can get pearloid buttons that fits a fender strat tuners.

Hi Eddie,
Thank you for your info!
I'm curious about the pickup rings, is it compatible too? I'm afraid that the dimension or the holes of the pickup screw is different.
How can you be sure that the phase 3 tuners won't fit? Have you tried it before??
When I browsed the internet and YouTube, I think it's pretty simple to change the nut, but finding the correct size bone nut is hard.

I agree, Phase III buttons will only fit Phase III tuners. I am not 100% sure but It would not surprise me if the S2 buttons do not fit the SE locking tuners either.
Just know that the black and pearloid replacement buttons that are sold for S2 guitars are much smaller than the buttons that come stock on your SE locking tuner set.
Paul's guitar rings will not fit on your guitar either. They are specifically designed for Paul's Guitars Only due to the "tweaked" 408 pickup shape.

I agree, Phase III buttons will only fit Phase III tuners. I am not 100% sure but It would not surprise me if the S2 buttons do not fit the SE locking tuners either.
Just know that the black and pearloid replacement buttons that are sold for S2 guitars are much smaller than the buttons that come stock on your SE locking tuner set.
Paul's guitar rings will not fit on your guitar either. They are specifically designed for Paul's Guitars Only due to the "tweaked" 408 pickup shape.
Thank you for your info! So sad I cannot mod this but you saved me from wasting my money hehe :)

Nut. That's the only mod you really need (the stock nut is cheap plastic, and will likely cause a lot of tuning stability headaches.) I would suggest the Core nut - drop in replacement. Most else will be cosmetic, or will give you marginal gains. Or, just to change to your specific tastes, like pickups, locking tuners for quicker string changes, etc. Which is where the fun starts!

I always go core nut on my trem guitars. Bone isn’t “better”, just different. As ALNUS said, play it first And live with it for a while. Remember, everything you do, including the tuner buttons, will affect the tone. And keep in mind what this old man learned the hard way. Different doesn’t mean better. Play that bad boy, and learn what it can give you.

Hi guys,
Great advice! Actually I already played my guitar for 6 months now, but I'm still looking for the tone that I like from my guitar.

I want to ask you about the PRS pickups. I'm interested in 59/09 pickups and combination of vintage bass and HFS treble pickups. My question is it compatible with my guitar? I will attached the wiring diagram, my concern is the switching of coil split is different from other SE but I think is all the same for all 35th anniversary guitar and Paul's guitar. Please advise!

Back