SE Bernie Marsden details?

bhendric1

I'm thinking of grabbing a SE 245. What are the differences between that and the SE Marsden? Which one would you all recommend? I had a 2009 Singlecut that I sold and have regretted it ever since so I want to get another. I'm just not familiar with the Bernie Marsden and want to find out of that may be the better choice.

Off the top of my head... different controls (2 vs 4) and scale (25" vs 24.5"). I think the pickups are the same.

Hey B1!

Similarities.... Both singlecut. Both 24.5" scale. Both 2 x SE245 humbuckers. Same bridge. 3 way switch.

Differences... The Bernie has a bound neck. The neck is a unique carve based on Bernie's '59 Les Paul. Fractionally larger than the 245's wide fat. The Bernie is 2 x V & 1 x T whereas the 245 is standard 2 v 2 t. The Bernie has classic 'Gromet' style tuners.

Personally, I feel the Bernie is the more classic looking guitar and the neck seems to give it a more 'full' sound although that's highly subjective.

I have a demo of the Bernie in my sig below. Both good guitars. If you feel you need 2 volumes and 2 tones go for the 245 but the Bernie is a stunning guitar!

I think the Bernie is thicker as well. Something like 1/8 inch thicker.

Out of the handful of SE245's I've tried, I know my Bernie weighs less than them as well. Mine clocks in at 7.6lbs.

I don't think that's the norm. Mine is heavier than most SE's at 8 1/2.

Back