Satin Maple Neck Sealant

guitarman001

A lot of the new guitars coming out (including mine) have satin maple necks with a thin sealant on them. My questions are.. what's the worst that can happen when the sealant thins out (i.e. why is sealant needed in the first place) and how long does this take? Also, I believe PRS uses it's own sealant - would you send yours to them to get it re-done or just your local tech, and would you even be able to tell when the sealant has thinned out in the first place?

Are satin necks with sealant more prone to issues due to the above than the normal lacquered necks are?

EDIT - just read the link below and it appears that without sealant, there is increased risk of neck warping?

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about it much. I'd guess the sealant soaks into the pores of the wood? If not the oils from your hand will. Might be the equivalent of tung oil on a neck- which is common for that unfinished feel.

I sent one of my CE's to get the neck re-shaped and have the satin "in the wood" treatment done. My verdict? Absolutely-fan-f@ckin'-tacularily-Bangin'!

Back