Santana III question...

SteveK

Just curious. Does anybody here know if the stock Santa III pickups can be coil tapped?

Two options really
1) change the pickups to something that taps
OR
Have someone rewire your pickups to tap ( not for the faint of heart )

How many conductors are there?

Mine have three conductors. Shield (GND) black (hot) and a white that was taped up. I decided to un-tape the white wire, strip it and measure resistance. Well I was led to believe (from internet) that Santana pups you are not able to coil tap. Well here is what I found. Santana Treble - Black to Shield 14K White to Black or Shield 7K, Hmmmm looks like I'm reading separate coils. Santana Bass - Black to Shield 6.3K, White to Black or Shield 3.13K.

I modified my guitar with Seymour Duncan Distortion pups with push/pull tone for coil taps. I now wired Starla pups with push/pull tone for coil taps, interesting tones. Next string change I'm putting in the original Santana pups that came with the guitar and wire the coil tapped with push/pull tone since they have the white wire. I'll let you know how I make out.

I've seen used Santana III's on Reverb mentioning coil split in the specs/description.

Sounds like the pups have the right wires.
No such luck in 2015s:
49E763A8-6FAE-49F1-81BF-E58713928446_zpsfe6vxt7z.jpg

94743415-B21E-46B1-A273-96D975AFA4B2_zps7yw33viw.jpg

Michael, my white wire was not in the control cavity. Instead it was coiled up and taped under the bottom of the pickup. When you do a string change unscrew your pups and check underneath.

Back