Santana and HFS/VB pups: Internet vs Real Life

Many players use too much gain, I'm guilty of it sometimes as well. Gain is an easy way to hide my crummy playing technique. The problem with the HFS/VB pickups (IMO) is when they are used with too much gain. When used for clean tones or with a small amount of gain, the HFS/VB's are amazing.

I'm 100% guilty of not giving the VB/HFS combo a chance in my CU24. The guitar played and felt incredible from day 1, but when I plugged it in I was instantly "offended" by the tone that came from it. (Most likely due to what Shawn said above).

I replaced mine. Probably because I heard so many good things about the BKs and found some cheap on eBay. Now I'm concerned I might buy another PRS and like the 85/15s better.

"tone is art" - I agree, and pickups REALLY effect the tone. I agree some people get crazy with gear but it really has an influence on the voice of the guitar.
Yes that’s a fact and wholehearted agree :). I am just too much in love with the other side of the equation, the wood side and the inherent side. Kinda like a “fact vs values” thingy, you know what I mean? Like “yeah I know you’re fat but I like your face too much to care”. Anyway, I digress!! This tread should be about pickups :p...

I've probably mentioned this before, but pickups are a weird trip for me. I played guitar for decades, and never even considered that traditionally-sized HB pups could sound "different". All I cared for was that my strat had the usual SSS config, my tele had that "tele" bridge pickup (also has a HB in the neck), my LP Deluxe had those Epiphone mini-HBs Gibson was trying to use up in the 70s, and I had "normal" HBs in my (don't tell Gibson) El Degas Flying V clone. That Flying V still has them - they are double-cream Dimarzios, and from what I gather could be worth something to certain folks.

Anyway...before I played PRS, and even after, I didn't give much thought to the particular pickups. I found the tones I wanted by adjusting volume & tone on guitar and amp (and via pedals).

Now...I still don't really get worked up over it, but I am glad to have a variety of pups in my collection of PRSi including 57/08, 59/09, 85/15, 58/15, HFS/VB. Um, also archtop, SAS, 53/10, probably something else. All stock, except a Santana I have that has Wolfgangs in it (got it that way).

And Alpha/Omega on my SE Holcomb. And all the variety of SE pups...

Yet still I buy a guitar for other reasons, I don't think I've ever let the installed pups affect my decision...

I'm an HFS fan. The HFS/VB were the first set of PRS pickups I had and I developed my sound around them. I love everything about them but it may be because I set up my amps with only those pickups to learn from.

Use the tone knob people! ;)

I gig my stock Santana II and CU24 AP all the time thru my custom Matchless amp. Both sound amazing.

I don’t like a lot of compression in humbuckers, and don’t often play with a lot of gain. The stock pickups are wonderful, and I would not ever consider changing them. My CU24 does have an ebony board, so it has a bit more snap and cut naturally.

Dragon II pickups on the other hand, especially the earlier models, are compressed mush. I replaced those with some PRS Artist pickups and love that guitar now. DII pickups are great if you want a compressed wall of gain and no dynamics. That ain’t me.

Dragon II pickups on the other hand, especially the earlier models, are compressed mush. I replaced those with some PRS Artist pickups and love that guitar now. DII pickups are great if you want a compressed wall of gain and no dynamics. That ain’t me.

See, I love the DII neck pickup. Lower that sucker even with the ring, and bury the pole pieces.... magical.

Personally, I liked the VB, but not the HFS in my old CE24. The pickups got switched over to 57/08's when they first came out. My ears told me that the HFS had a ceramic magnet, and I found it ice-picky. I'd be curious to know if I was right. I don't like Ceramic pickups,

Back