Santana and HFS/VB pups: Internet vs Real Life

To be more specific, the common pickup design parameters that typically incorporate ceramic magnets are not my cup of tea. Having owned many and used them in numerous situations, my opinion is based on my experience. I’m not generalizing.

So much has been said in this thread I don’t know if I can add much but I will start by saying since my first PRS custom 24 in 1990 (an 89) it had HFS/VB pickups and found them to be cool pairing. I enjoyed that I didn’t have to over distort them. I also found them to be responsive with higher gain playing the volume control around a 6/7 and only turning up to 10 for extra feedback sustain during leads. Funny that I never really thought of them as ice picky, I would adjust my equalization on my amps accordingly.

Santana pickups. My first Santana was not a I, II, OR III, it was one of those in between models were the volume control was the same layout of a custom 24 so to speak. I thought I didn’t care much for the pickups, So I experimented with JB’s from Seymour Duncan, distortions from Seymour Duncan and wound up putting a Santana bridge pickup back in with a 5909 in the neck position. I like to Santana pickups now even though I replaced to pickups on my Santana retro because I really like Lindy Fralin pickups high output humbuckers. They are mid range he similar to Santana pick ups just a little different. I wanted that one guitar to be a little different. I have nothing against the stock pickups as a Matter of fact when I recently purchased a Santana private stock with Santana III pickups in it, I like them very much and have no plans on changing them out. What is special is the West Street pickups. According to Shawn they are not wax potted, they freakin scream! I don’t remember their names I think it’s a modern Eagle neck pickup and may bE an HFS in the Bridge but I could be wrong, I have to check my posts.

Back