S2 Starla pickups lowering themselves… again, ugh

rockinforJesus

Yep, just like the title says. I have a 2014 Starla. The pickups keep lowering themselves. Guessing a mix of string vibration and weak pickup springs (?) are causing this.
Anyone else with a S2 guitar with a pickguard notice this? What did you do to fix it?
This is my only complaint for this guitar. Love it otherwise. Makes me think twice about gigging it.

I don’t know what may be allowing for the “lowering” of the pup.
Have you removed them and check the springs? Are the springs intact. I have never experienced anything like that.

I don’t know what may be allowing for the “lowering” of the pup.
Have you removed them and check the springs? Are the springs intact. I have never experienced anything like that.
Thinking the springs are weak
I already replaced the neck pickup springs with stouter springs
Just thought this was a bit weird
I guess this is a weakness in the S2 line components (made overseas)

I have never had a guitar have this issue. I have never owned an S2. I would get new springs for this pickup like you did for the other one if that fixed the issue with that one. That is an easy fix that still allows you to make adjustments to the height if you want to.

If you go the Loctite or nail polish route, you have to get everything set then pull the pickguard to put the liquid on the screw. If you adjust them again, it will break the bond and it won't be reliable anymore.

Another thing you can try that I have done on old Fender bridges is to put some teflon tape on the screw in the area that the pickup will end up when adjusted. You can put as many layers on it as needed to snug the fit up. You can get the tape in white or black. If you don't know what it is it is used for pipe threads for gas and water pipes and fittings. It is designed to create a seal in the threads. It is not permanent. It can be removed.

You can also place a small piece of foam/ sponge under the pickup, there are rubber “ foam” pieces I have done also, something that’s not so dense you can still adjust and hold them in place along with spring pressure. Best of luck and have fun!!

Back