S2/SE Trem setup

JConan

Orginally from Maryland USA, currently studying in
Hey everyone, so I like drop tunings, and when I do that the trem system pretty much just rest on the wood so I cannot do any up action with the trem at all. Is there a way to adjust the trem system so that I am able to use it in drop tunings? If so how? If there is a good video link or anything like that please send it my way and I appreciate it.

Besides the obvious Youtube video search on PRS trem setups, you can start with the PRS support page on bridges, specifically the one on PRS Tremolo, and go from there.

Yeah but you know how Youtube is, I don't have the experience to know whether the guy is giving me good instructions or if he's a hack who might lead me down the path of screwing up my guitar. As the support page says, "ruin the knife edge", if it's not done right. Not that I have a clue what that means. And I know, "maybe you should send it in and have someone else do it", but then I'll never learn how to do it myself.

Last edited:
You won't be adjusting the mounting screws so the knife edge will be safe. You'd loosen the claw screws in equal amounts until it sits level when in the tuning you want. If you leave it free floating any tuning change would require a change to the claw to adjust tension on the springs. Of course it would probably also affect intonation as well as neck relief. It's always best to pick one tuning per guitar and stick with it to get the best performance. Otherwise you could do something like a tremol-no and set it for dive bomb only mode so when you downtune the bridge is not pulled back.

See I sent if for a set up and figured they would set the trem up for the drop tuning because that's what I wanted the guitar for but they didn't. Okay so the screws you're talking about are the screws right below the bridge pick up? Because if so that was going to be my guess... I understand the intonation change and that's done but adjusting the saddles correct? How would I fix the neck relief? Next time I buy I fricking stoptail...

See I sent if for a set up and figured they would set the trem up for the drop tuning because that's what I wanted the guitar for but they didn't. Okay so the screws you're talking about are the screws right below the bridge pick up? Because if so that was going to be my guess... I understand the intonation change and that's done but adjusting the saddles correct? How would I fix the neck relief? Next time I buy I fricking stoptail...

No, those 6 screws are the mounting screws that interact with the knife edge. Don't mess with those. The claw screws are under the cover on the backside of the guitar. The springs connect on 1 side to the block and the other side to the claw. The claw screws are adjusted in and out to add or remove tension on the springs to counteract the tension on the strings. When you drop tune you remove tension on the strings so you need to remove tension on the springs to balance this. Did you tell them you wanted it set up for a particular tuning when you took it in? If so, take it back and have them set it up the right way. If you just said "drop tuning" or said nothing at all you can't expect them to read your mind. They may have set it up for drop d or Eb and to them that was "drop tuning" but to you that may not have been what you were going for... When you take it in for a setup if you want it set up for something other than standard tuning you should tell them exactly what tuning the guitar will typically be in.

I told them I wanted it in drop Db tuning and based on the back plate I just removed I'm the first person in here since it left the factory. When I asked the store guy he told me "they don't do that for a set up" but it's the only reason I sent it for a set up.

So will this mess up the tension of the guitar else where?

I told them I wanted it in drop Db tuning and based on the back plate I just removed I'm the first person in here since it left the factory. When I asked the store guy he told me "they don't do that for a set up" but it's the only reason I sent it for a set up.

So will this mess up the tension of the guitar else where?

I am not sure what they would have done for a setup then... Adjusting the claw is required when you change string gauges, sometimes even the same gauge between brands. It would be adjusted for changing tuning. It would be changed as the springs wear. It won't mess up the tension elsewhere but your intonation will likely be out of whack and you might get some strange buzzes and overtones based on how the strings are falling off the saddles. You lose half the functionality of the trem. I highly doubt they adjusted the neck relief and I bet the intonation wasn't even touched. That is not a setup and they should not have charged you based on what they did. Find a good luthier and have it done right.

Yes, as you have seen, adjusting the claw screws will pull the trem level with the guitar's top. In your case, since you're doing a drop tuning, that means that the strings have less tension and that's why the trem is sitting "back on its haunches". So, you'll want to turn the claw screws counter-clockwise thus relieving the claw spring tension which will let the trem move back off the wood (this is where the strings do the pulling of the front edge of the trem back towards the neck). With less tension all around, you will almost certainly have to do some minor truss rod adjusting for neck relief. Then intonation should be the last step to get your perfect tune.

And DHW is correct in that you shouldn't have to touch the six screws at all. IF they should ever have to be adjusted, it would have to be done with strings completely loosened to prevent damage to the knife edge. But it's very unlikely that there is a problem there unless someone other than the factory setup messed with it. I've used the tutorial on John Mann's site for reference on checking mine.

Yeah I touched the claws, lol I got the fret buzz problems. I suck at this....

Now you need to adjust the saddles up higher so that the thicker strings will clear the frets, then you will probably need to release a little tension on the truss rod to move the headstock forward, this gives more clearance to the strings at the top of the neck. As far as innotation that is simple, get the sting in perfect pitch then (connected to a tuner) do a harmonic note on the 12th fret and if it is not also in perfect pitch you need to turn the screws on the bottom of the trem until it is, one way will make it sharp the other flat, the direction you turn them in depends on where the pitch is. Once you turn the screw retune the string and do the harmonic again and see where you're at, this is innotation. Now, to make this clear the innotation screws are the HORIZONTAL ones at the bottom of the trem, NOT the vertical ones between the trem and the pickup, those are the ones that WILL destroy the knife edge if you don't know what you are doing, leave those alone. There should be some good videos on youtube to demo all of the stuff you need to know, just look for ones where there are either a lot of good reviews or a lot of followers on the channel, generally the info in those is good. Setting up your own guitar is a great thing to be able to do because generally a tech will either not set it up like you want it, they will do it their way or it will just never feel "just right" but by making your own adjustments you can get it exactly where you want it.

Now you need to adjust the saddles up higher so that the thicker strings will clear the frets, then you will probably need to release a little tension on the truss rod to move the headstock forward, this gives more clearance to the strings at the top of the neck. As far as innotation that is simple, get the sting in perfect pitch then (connected to a tuner) do a harmonic note on the 12th fret and if it is not also in perfect pitch you need to turn the screws on the bottom of the trem until it is, one way will make it sharp the other flat, the direction you turn them in depends on where the pitch is. Once you turn the screw retune the string and do the harmonic again and see where you're at, this is innotation. Now, to make this clear the innotation screws are the HORIZONTAL ones at the bottom of the trem, NOT the vertical ones between the trem and the pickup, those are the ones that WILL destroy the knife edge if you don't know what you are doing, leave those alone. There should be some good videos on youtube to demo all of the stuff you need to know, just look for ones where there are either a lot of good reviews or a lot of followers on the channel, generally the info in those is good. Setting up your own guitar is a great thing to be able to do because generally a tech will either not set it up like you want it, they will do it their way or it will just never feel "just right" but by making your own adjustments you can get it exactly where you want it.

Oh alright thanks. I was trying to adjust the saddles but I thjnk I was going to the opposite way. And I will watch something on the trust rod

Back