S2 McCarty Thinline question

Dave_W

I've been a strat player almost exclusively for the last decade plus and have decided to add a short scale guitar into the mix. The S2 McCarty thinline caught my eye immediately since I have wanted a PRS for a while and the pattern thin neck is very similar to the Fender Modern C neck shape that I prefer.

Does the bevel on the top of the guitar act like the contours of a strat for comfort? The lack of a forearm contour has been my main gripe with the core models and has prevented me from joining the team so far. I don't have a dealer anywhere close to me to try one, but it seems like the perfect guitar for me if the bevel adds comfort. They seem to be astonishingly lightweight and I know the consistency is there.

Thanks!

The raised bevel on all the S2 series in my opinion are very comfortable because where the pickups and strings at, they are on a higher plane than the outside of the body. The corners too are more rounded because of no binding, faux or otherwise.
Ive been looking at the Thinline 594 series as well… To me they are the ultimate SG but so much more….

Last edited:
The raised bevel on all the S2 series in my opinion are very comfortable because where the pickups and strings at, they are on a higher plane than the outside of the body. The corners too are more rounded because of no binding, faux or otherwise.
Ive been looking at the Thinline 594 series as well… To me they are the ultimate SG but so much more….
I appreciate that unlike the SG, the thinline seems to sit in a more natural position when playing sitting down. For me, SG's always sit off to the left more than anything else I play and feel awkward.

I appreciate that unlike the SG, the thinline seems to sit in a more natural position when playing sitting down. For me, SG's always sit off to the left more than anything else I play and feel awkward.
I couldn’t agree more. The SG standing up for gigs is even more weird and the body is to small and to thin..
the Thinline 594 is a brilliant all mahogany design… PRS’s in general have always been comfortable sitting down, especially the 22 fret models where the neck is in the body more… by 2” compared to the 24 fret models…..

OP I was a superstrat player my entire life til I bought an S2 in 2014 now I have 5 S2s including the thinline....youll be very comfortable with the thinline and most S2 carves but they are different than the drop on a strat...your right arm will glide over the bevel but not quite as much as a strat to be honest....ive found they are extremely comfy and the shorter scale on the PRS is what's kept me in the mix!!

The thinline is an awesome guitar! I don't own one yet but it's my next purchase and have demoing them for MONTHS. It's one of those PRS that rock because it has its own identity. As a recovering and relapsing strat guy it doesn't have the comfort carves of strat but it's also a damn comfortable guitar in its own right. Pull the trigger you won't be sorry...

I’m dying for a 594 ever since I tried a used artist a few years ago when I didn’t have the funds. Best guitar I’ve ever played.

The s2 are amazing, but the weak point is the pickups. My s2 singlecut standard (avatar) had 7s pickups. They ended up being pretty muddy.

I should have replaced them, but stupidly sold the gorgeous guitar.

I now have a CE 24, and the pickups are amazing. If the s2 had USA lickups they’d possibly outsell core models.

I’m dying for a 594 ever since I tried a used artist a few years ago when I didn’t have the funds. Best guitar I’ve ever played.

The s2 are amazing, but the weak point is the pickups. My s2 singlecut standard (avatar) had 7s pickups. They ended up being pretty muddy.

I should have replaced them, but stupidly sold the gorgeous guitar.

I now have a CE 24, and the pickups are amazing. If the s2 had USA lickups they’d possibly outsell core models.

I agree with you on the 7s pickups from the earlier S2s - muddy indeed. However, every S2 I've played with the 58/15s that are in the Thinline, among others, has sounded good to me. So, I'm just saying give the stock pickups a shot before changing :). I adore the stock pickups in my Velas.

I am a big fan of the S2 594 line. I've actually got two thinlines and one non-thinline model. I actually just listed my blue metallic thinline for sale if you are interested, OP. Just send a private message if interested. And good luck in your search!

I agree with you on the 7s pickups from the earlier S2s - muddy indeed. However, every S2 I've played with the 58/15s that are in the Thinline, among others, has sounded good to me. So, I'm just saying give the stock pickups a shot before changing :). I adore the stock pickups in my Velas.
I wish I could find one locally. My guitar center only have ibanez and dean and crap like that.
No other stores within 100 miles have prs. I’d love a 594.
If the s2 pickups are that good, I will have to make a spot for one at some point

Dave, I own an S2 McCarty Thinline and it is supremely comfortable to play - either standing or sitting, and I can play for 3 hours (or until my ears give out) without any discomfort. The bevel allows my arm and hand to sit naturally for strumming and picking and the weight of the guitar is easy on the shoulder and back. I like the Pattern Thin neck carve as well. It's slightly thicker to the neck on my Carvin, but was easy to adapt to. I know that many here prefer the 58/15 LT pups that come on the Core McCarty vs the 58/15 S on the S2 line, but do give them a good long listen before you think you need to change them out. This guitar from PRS is truly a Gibson SG killer, and if/when you buy a TL, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Back