S2 Custom 24 Mods

greyhatninja

Hi all,

I’m curious what you all think about the S2 Custom 24 tremolo bridge. Are there any decent upgrades for this or is the bridge that comes with it just as good as the mannmade or the non-gen iii tremolo from the Core models? (I don’t believe PRS sells the gen iii trem)

BTW already have new drop in electronics with 5 blade switch and the US 85/15 pickups coming.

I've played 'em all and the molded version works just fine. If anything the tone may be a little brighter, but it'll work and stay in tune as well as the other versions as long as everything is set up right.

I kinda disagree with my boys above and think the SE/S2 trem doesn’t work as well as a MannMade/MilCom, Excel, or current manufacturer’s version.

I think the base and saddles are fine, but the block and the screws that attach it to the guitar are where the upgrade makes a real difference if you’re doing “wide travel” aka: dive bombing stuff.

The corresponding knife edge in the screws is much more precise than the molded screws, and the holes in the block are deeper/longer and bigger/cleaner.

You’ll have slightly less tension with the slightly shorter string length, which can translate into less string that needs to be stretched. And your ball ends of the strings don’t run as big a risk in getting stuck in a weird spot in the block when the string tension decreases (if you’ve let the strings go a floppy from a dive).

I’m not commenting negatively about how the steel block sounds though.

Back