S2 CU24 Tuning Stability

zachf714

Hey,
So I have had this S2 CU24 for about 2 months now, I bought it "new" off the wall at a local music store and its a 2013 model. I have noticed that it has a tendency to go out of tune very easily, with bends or just my hand resting on the bridge. I can't even use the trem because it goes out of tune the first little touch of the bar. Does anybody know why this may be?

I am using Rotosound Rotoyellow 10-46 strings and have BigBends nut sauce in the nut.

Thanks

I really haven't had an issue on my s2, now admittedly I do not use the trem, I don't even put the arm in the guitar but while playing I have had zero issues with this guitar going out of tune. I you think you may have an issue though I would take it back to where you bought it, the guitar should be under warranty so let them check it out and make sure all is right with it. The SE guitars had tuning issues but with the core line nut and locking tuners you really shouldn't have a problem with an s2.

I really haven't had an issue on my s2, now admittedly I do not use the trem, I don't even put the arm in the guitar but while playing I have had zero issues with this guitar going out of tune. I you think you may have an issue though I would take it back to where you bought it, the guitar should be under warranty so let them check it out and make sure all is right with it. The SE guitars had tuning issues but with the core line nut and locking tuners you really shouldn't have a problem with an s2.

I would take it back there if they had a tech, they just sell the instruments =( I got it setup at a local GuitarCenter (I know really guitar center) and it was somewhat ok for about a month but the trem still went out, but now its back to the constant tuning stability issues.

I think you simply need a proper setup...I finally learned how to do it all myself via Internet videos and Dan's book on stewmac.com...if your trem goes out of tune, it is not setup properly most likely...I could stand on mine (my S2 custom or SE Tremonti) and they come back right on pitch. Save yourself some money in the long run and learn how to do proper setups...it'll cost you about $200 for a strobe tuner, the book and proper equipment (more if u want to do pickup changes and file the nut, etc)....BUT you won't have to pay for setups ever again nor wait for some jackass to have your guitar for weeks when it wouldn't take u an hour once you get proficient at it...with the nut sauce in place u simply need need to adj the trem screws...watch some YouTube videos...particularly the three part video discribing a PRS trem setup...by a prs employee...I'll try to post a link later....even though he's working with the USA model, I setup my artist pkg Tremonti, S2, and SE using the same technique.

ive actually watched those videos, and I have measurement tools (radius gauges, action measurement card, and feeler gauges) and have setup my RG but when I tried to setup my PRS I could not get it quite right, I really think it might be the strings but maybe it is the bridge screws which if it is I don't want to touch them and mess up the edges when I can have it fixed under warranty (or have someone else mess it up and blame them)

And one side of my bridge is higher than the other.... I really dont want to fix this myself, I feel like I will mess it up. not really sure to do with this.....

Super fix0red.. I needed to set the screws that the tremolo pivots on to the same height so it sits at 1/16th across the board. Then I did a nice factory setup and my guitar is like butter. @rdb121775 thanks for reminding me of the videos (I had never actually watched them all the way through, just skipped around) I felt confident about doing my trem and a full setup after that.

Super fix0red.. I needed to set the screws that the tremolo pivots on to the same height so it sits at 1/16th across the board. Then I did a nice factory setup and my guitar is like butter. @rdb121775 thanks for reminding me of the videos (I had never actually watched them all the way through, just skipped around) I felt confident about doing my trem and a full setup after that.

Right on man, glad you were able to fix it yourself....now you can make adjustments anytime needed, while not being without your guitar for weeks...I think everyone should know how to do their own setups, but then again I like to tinker and some have no patience for it.

And just noticed you're in NC too...what part? Where do u go for PRS?? Internet like the rest of us in NC??

And one side of my bridge is higher than the other.... I really dont want to fix this myself, I feel like I will mess it up. not really sure to do with this.....

There's your trouble. The trem should be level and 1/16th higher than the body of the guitar. If it isn't level the knife edges will not pivot correctly nor return to their resting position. You can fix it (they are fairly durable). If you are careful you can do better than you got from GC. Here are the details from the PRS website:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/bridges.html

Oh, I'm from NC too!:wave:

I got mine at Dons Music City in Winston Salem great little place. So I have this thing setup now and if I do a dive it goes out put if I pull back it stays in tune perfectly, is this something regular with a new setup ? Out of tune meaning flat.

I lubricated my fulcrum screws with some BigBends and it can dive now, I know I should have used 3-in-1 but I dont have it so I made with what I have xD. I can dive now, at least it seems it =) the SE/S2 trem seems to need a little more work than the USA trem but what ever I just need to buy more BigBends now for future setups (Nut and Bridge)

edit - and now its going sharp... I really dont know what to do now.....

Last edited:
I got mine at Dons Music City in Winston Salem great little place. So I have this thing setup now and if I do a dive it goes out put if I pull back it stays in tune perfectly, is this something regular with a new setup ? Out of tune meaning flat.

Are all of the strings coming back out of tune? Are u checking it on the strobe? Also, did u stretch the hell out of the strings when u set it up? I stretch mine until they check (are tuned) virtually the same before and after stretching on the strobe...only then do I move on to adj the claw/trem if needed...also, when I did my first trem setup, I was about to mess with the knife edge as I'd been fiddling with the tuning for an hour...I took a break, found some patience (somewhere) and came back dead set on getting it right. I tweaked and tinkered with the claw screws, in very small increments, and it finally checked virtually perfect...I've never even oiled the knife edge...my advice would be to sit back down with her, give yourself plenty of time, and tinker--in very small increments and measure (check tuning, etc,) with every adjustment...it takes patience, but I've gone from my first setup feeling like a clusterf#*k and taking 3 hrs (with new pup install, but I'm proficient at that), to now less than an hour start to finish with a good polish and all...keep at it, you'll figure it out

Oh yea all the strings are coming back out, I am checking on my tuner and they all go sharp. I do a bunch of good stretches. I actually ended up messing with the claw a bunch until I had the bridge 100% even on both sides and now im playing with the trem and playing the guitar... it only goes slightly sharp now, and its only some of them, but it seems like maybe they are not worn in all the way, I really dont know, all I know is that trems are a pita (ive done a floyd before and it was way worse than this). Maybe my strings are not stretched all the way and they need to wear in, but I have gone up and down the neck at least 10 times stretching each string.

I recently took the plunge and adjusted the setup on my SE CU24, using some youtube videos for PRS trem installation and setup from John Mann's youtube page, and now I can dive bomb quite a bit and still come back almost perfectly in tune. I noticed that my bridge plate was uneven when viewed from the back - treble side was closer to the body than the bass. Tuning stability was good with mild to moderate trem use, but big dives still messed things up. I'll try to describe what I did to fix it, maybe it'll help.

Noteworthy, long ago I installed a TUSQ XL nut and Grover locking tuners very similar to the S2 tuners.

With all strings removed and springs disconnected, I unscrewed the inner four pivot screws so the notches were well above the plate (far enough that the knife edge wasn't going to pivot on those screws). Next, adjusted the outer two screws, which the trem is pivoting on, so the bridge is about 2mm off the body. Not super important exactly how high, just that both sides are EVEN. Then, similar to John Mann's video, used a small hex key as a feeler gauge to set the height of the four inner screws. I used a 1/16", vs the 2mm that John uses, just what I had on hand. About the same size, so no big deal. However, instead of going individually as John did in his vid, I took the key and spanned it the long way under several screws at a time. The longer section of the key I used would span the width of 4 screws. Get the key in tightly under the bass side end screw. It should also extend to 3 other pivot screws, but those are raised from before and therefore not tight on the hex key yet. Tighten those inner screws one by one. When the bridge starts to raise as you screw in a screw, stop and back it off to the point where the bridge sits back down (1/8-1/4 turn). Then span the hex key under the screws from the treble side, and adjust the remaining inner screw. Recheck both sides with the hex key, this should get all the pivot screws nicely aligned at the same height. Make small adjustments if needed, being sure to keep the height even on both sides. Apply some thin oil to the knife edge. Re-attach springs. String the guitar. Bring the low E to pitch, then the high E and B, then A, then G, then D. Similar to how you tighten tire lugs in a star pattern, add tension in an even manner to the strings, don't just start on one side and move across. Rene Martinez Graphite All to all string slots on the nut, and make sure it's worked under the strings well. Tune, while continually stretching the strings and working the trem. Make sure to always work the trem while tuning..

This system got me in very good shape. How much of it really did anything, and how much is hocus pocus, I don't know, but my guitar stays in tune now!

Agreed...one other thing to check is that your strings aren't binding in the nut. I check this by feeling how the string slides into the nut, and back and forth in the nut. If it doesn't feel super smooth, u may need to touch up the nut a bit. I use Dans method of using an old string of the exact same size glued to a wood dowel. Gently run it back and forth in the slot until if feels smooth. Be careful tho, u can change the depth here if u aren't careful.

Back