Gap between nut and fingerboard - will this cause problems?

Markcarl

I took a core DGT to a local guitar shop to have them replace the bone nut with a synthetic nut. My motivation for this was to improve the tuning stability. I do notice an improvement in tuning stability with the synthetic nut. However, I just noticed there’s a gap between the nut and fingerboard. Is this likely to cause problems? I haven’t noticed any problems so far.

The gap is relatively narrow. I first noticed it when I was holding the guitar in front of a window during the daytime. Here’s a picture:

As others have said, take it back and show it to them. They need to make that right. You don't want that gap.
If they couldn’t do it right the first time they may not be able to do it right the next time. Skillz

Open string intonation will be off, which means the bridge saddle adjustments could also be off on an adjustable bridge.

That is not a narrow gap considering the impact to intonation.

Allow me to expound on this. A nut out of position means it is possible for the strings to be in perfect tune open, and intonation perfect at the 12th fret. What you are probably experiencing is that the 1st fret is out of tune and the 2nd thru 11th are also out of tune to a lesser degree. The nut position is cut relative to the fret positions, and having the gap you see means the nut is glued out of position.

Another explanation could be the tech sawed through the fret board ahead of the nut in order to get it off and the nut is presently in the correct spot. My opinion is the nut should be tight to the fret board.

I’m thinking the tech that did the work doesn’t deserve another chance to screw up your guitar. I’d ask for a refund and find another tech to be sure your guitar is corrected once and for all.

If they couldn’t do it right the first time they may not be able to do it right the next time. Skillz
Very true. I think you have to start there though. That starts the conversation of make it right or give me my money back so I can take it to someone that can.

I just talked to the tech on the phone. I explained the problem and he acknowledged he made a mistake. The shop is an hour from my house. I plan to give him a chance to make it right and take the guitar back to the shop at the end of this week.

I just talked to the tech on the phone. I explained the problem and he acknowledged he made a mistake. The shop is an hour from my house. I plan to give him a chance to make it right and take the guitar back to the shop at the end of this week.
I admire your trust in people. My 2p; if they fail to notice the gap, they will most likely fail to cut the groves well. I echo what others said; I skipped the tech services for less than that

Back