S 2 pickup inquiry

tonytester

PIC YOUR STRINGS WISELY
considering that the S2 line of PRS guitars uses pickups from korea and other electronics from china ,is there anyone rushing to tear them out and replace them ?? do they sound like prs quality. or what. I tried to search out some info but have not found any so far.
I purchased an S2 single cut semi hollow 2014,without doing any research first. haven't received it yet.
live and learn.

I have been in no rush to replace any of my S2 electronics. I like them just fine. They sound great and function well. I am not a pickups/electronics snob so that helps, lol. I DID change the pickups in one S2 only because I wanted single coils in the guitar. I love the Korean #7 pickups just as much as the 57/08.

I have an S2 Cu24 & an S2 Studio. No complaints about the pickups from me. I guess I'm too busy playing to be cork sniffing.

I supposed if you want your PRS to sound like a Gibson, then you might want different pickups. I prefer my S2s sounding like themselves.

Used to have an S2 Mira, and now have an S2 Studio... NOTHING wrong with S2 pickups and electronics IMHO!!!

Only thing I'd ever change is either the whole tremolo or the bolt on tone block on one to the MannMade brass ones.
The tremolo is still fine, though on S2's. It's not a piece of crap or anything.

I'm okay with the volume pots, but the tone pots with the push-pull switch feel like they have a linear taper rather than an audio taper. I'm learning to live with the sudden "wet blanket" at 3 on the tone control.

I'm okay with the volume pots, but the tone pots with the push-pull switch feel like they have a linear taper rather than an audio taper. I'm learning to live with the sudden "wet blanket" at 3 on the tone control.

I don't notice that on mine. I have (2) S2 STD22s and an SC STD. The tone pots feel very similar in taper and "effect" as what's on my Core guitars. But, I like my tone pots to be VERY noticeable, too....

I didnt like the mismatch in torque between volumes and tones, but got used to it quickly and love the usable ranges

A semihollow S2 is top of my gas list

considering that the S2 line of PRS guitars uses pickups from korea and other electronics from china ,is there anyone rushing to tear them out and replace them ?? do they sound like prs quality. or what. I tried to search out some info but have not found any so far.
I purchased an S2 single cut semi hollow 2014,without doing any research first. haven't received it yet.
live and learn.

That should have the #7’s in it, which seem to be hit or miss with most people. I have a semi 22 with them, and think they match the semi hollows the best. Especially the bridge, which has an upper mid emphasis - it compliments the more open, relaxed tone of a semi hollow, helps to keep some articulation but the tone is still more airy. The neck is fair, that one I actually have come to like more on a solid body. But it works well on the semi too.

I'm in a love/hate relationship with the pickups in my Starla. However I like them enough I haven't pulled the trigger on a set of Bare Knuckles.

Back