Rosewood neck finishing process

Elgravos

Hi Guys,

Joined the forum not too long ago. I have a CuRo 24 on order which I’m hoping to receive in the not too distant future. In the meantime, I was wondering about the finishing process for PRS rosewood necks (neck back, not the fret board!). Specifically, is the neck wood completely raw or is there some type of finish applied (like gun oil / true oil / wax)?

If it is left raw, does anyone know to what level it is sanded? Is it finished to a 600 / 800 grit or does it go higher with perhaps polishing to 1200 or even higher? I’m a big fan of very high grit polished raw necks (up to 2000) and was wondering where PRS fit in the spectrum.

Thanks for the insight!

I was told by an employee that they use boiled linseed oil on them. After that they spray them with Pledge to get the stink of the linseed oil off.

It depends whether you got a satin neck or not. What'd you get?

I don't know what a CuRo 24 is.

My CuRo22 feels raw. If they put an oil on it that would have been in 2007 and it has only seen the oil from my hand. It feels very smooth but I don't know the grit used. I have polished it with 000 steel wool and it makes it wonderfully smooth.

I have used 3000 grit sandpaper and fretboard oil on mine :) ----- SMOOTH
PTC also offers the Rosewood treatment but since yours is new it should be fine

Agree with what's been mentioned. I have two, and they feel like butta!

Thanks, sounds promising - pretty sure it will be great no matter what.

Back