Rosewood, Brazilian Rosewood, how can I tell?

Charlie

Is there a way to determine the type of wood is used in on the fingerboard? PRS had no records.

Smell the fretboard...
Normal rosewoods usually don't have a strong scent of a braz. rosewood.
If there's a sweet chocolatey smell to it, it is probably a braz. fretboard.

Smell the fretboard...
Normal rosewoods usually don't have a strong scent of a braz. rosewood.
If there's a sweet chocolatey smell to it, it is probably a braz. fretboard.

It's funny to see how others describe it. BRW smells "fishy" to me. :tongue:

I've heard sometimes they have parties at PRS at lunchtime, where they serve chocolate covered fish on planks of BRW.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;105370 said:
It's funny to see how others describe it. BRW smells "fishy" to me. :tongue:

Hans, that's exactly what I thought of when I opened the case for the first time. It smelled like a vaguely sweet fish. And I sniff it daily. :biggrin:

Very nice. What model SC is this?

Thanks - It's a 2007 SC 250. When I contacted PRS they had no details on it. The pcikups are PRS #8, which I'm told are rare. The brids look like Paua (when compared to MOP birds on my Custom 24) - they are very colorful whereas the MOP are white. The the fretboard looks like Brazilian Rosewood (when compared to pictures).

I don't think BRW smells like fish. You thinking of Obeche?

No sir...it's BRW. Unless PRS has completely lied to me, which I'm positive is not the case. The fretboard on my 408AP is BRW, and it smells vaguely like a sweet fish to me. Obeche does have a certain stank on it as well, but I've never smelled anything like the BRW on my guitar. It's strangely addictive... :flute:

Back