Robben Ford Signature Release Date?

Wonder if Robben's tried the 57/08's that guitar?
I would postulate Mr. Ford has tried the 57/08 and even some PRS pickups we don't know about.

The RF pickups in the signature McCarty are quite different to the 57/08's or the 58/15's I have in my other McCarty. Less output (similar to 58/15 LT or Seth Lover), more scoop in the mids, brighter and punchier. The attack and fundamental is alot like the narrowfields, IMO. I am sure the 57/08's would sound killer in the RF, but I love mine so much as is, I doubt I will ever try it out.

I would postulate Mr. Ford has tried the 57/08 and even some PRS pickups we don't know about.

The RF pickups in the signature McCarty are quite different to the 57/08's or the 58/15's I have in my other McCarty. Less output (similar to 58/15 LT or Seth Lover), more scoop in the mids, brighter and punchier. The attack and fundamental is alot like the narrowfields, IMO. I am sure the 57/08's would sound killer in the RF, but I love mine so much as is, I doubt I will ever try it out.
Yuch! I hate Seth Lovers. Low output and no balls.

I like Antiquitys though.

I like 57/08's even better.

I like Antiquitys though.

I like 57/08's even better.
Haha! I just mean output wise, they are more in that ballpark.

For ballsy, I suppose it would depend what you like. As the old PAF's could vary widely, I would say the RF is still in the PAF vein, just a lower output, brighter and more single coil-ish vein. Lots of attack and punch though and don't find it thin. The 57/08 and it's brother, the 58/15 are warmer PAF's with more complex mids.

I honestly love all three of them! I used to be a guy that would rip out an HFS or Dragon II when I got a PRS. That all changed when I tried the 57/08!

I got out the trusty Ouija Board and contacted Seth in The Great Beyond to register your complaint about the missing balls.

Here's Seth's reply, verbatim:

"Balls? Dude, I had the balls to invent the humbucker when your buddy was a still wearing diapers. I know what the f^cking things are supposed to sound like. He doesn't. Now, get off my lawn!"

So I said, "Paul Smith has come up with a better sounding humbucker."

"Paul Smith? You mean Ted McCarty's pal?"

"Yup."

"He's an upstart. Why, when I was inventing pickups we started with a clean sheet of paper, and we did it in the bitter cold in the middle of winter in Kalamazoo, Michigan with no shoes on! It's a lot easier to build a better mousetrap when all you have to do is tinker with someone else's ideas. So leave me alone, loser!"

It's hard to reason with some spirits in The Great Beyond, I guess. :rolleyes:

I got out the trusty Ouija Board and contacted Seth in The Great Beyond to register your complaint about the missing balls.

Here's Seth's reply, verbatim:

"Balls? Dude, I had the balls to invent the humbucker when your buddy was a still wearing diapers. I know what the f^cking things are supposed to sound like. He doesn't. Now, get off my lawn!"

So I said, "Paul Smith has come up with a better sounding humbucker."

"Paul Smith? You mean Ted McCarty's pal?"

"Yup."

"He's an upstart. Why, when I was inventing pickups we started with a clean sheet of paper, and we did it in the bitter cold in the middle of winter in Kalamazoo, Michigan with no shoes on! It's a lot easier to build a better mousetrap when all you have to do is tinker with someone else's ideas. So leave me alone, loser!"

It's hard to reason with some spirits in The Great Beyond, I guess. :rolleyes:
I don't think Seth Lover, Ted McCarty or most of the builders at Gibson listened to much Cream, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh or Jimmy Page.

Mostly pop, country and jazz with clean polite tones I would guess. Like the stuff Les Paul actually performed.

When I visited the Gibson factory in 1967 and played my Epiphone Riviera they had repaired, the guys at Gibson smirked at my bluesy licks. They wanted to hear something else and I'm certain some stellar guitarists had sat in the very chair I was sitting in.

They weren't impressed with my Keith Richards, BB King and Clapton licks.

Last edited:
Being a big McCarty, Robben Ford and black guitar fan, no video I've seen of this guitar inspires me to want one. Maybe if I was in an actual room with one I would, but not based on what I've heard on recordings.

I think his Tele is the worst sounding guitar he has, but he likes it, so that's cool. I believe RF has also played many of his other guitars at least as much as the signature, so it seems to me that he might not be that thrilled with it. If you had a custom made signature guitar, wouldn't you be playing it almost exclusively? Not trying to be a troll or jerk, just thinking, more or less out loud.

I think his Tele is the worst sounding guitar he has, but he likes it, so that's cool. I believe RF has also played many of his other guitars at least as much as the signature, so it seems to me that he might not be that thrilled with it. If you had a custom made signature guitar, wouldn't you be playing it almost exclusively? Not trying to be a troll or jerk, just thinking, more or less out loud.
If I was trying to sell signature guitars, YES, I would play it at every gig.

But Robben loves that old Tele and being a Tele player myself (I have two), I like the sound of it as well.

Must feel like part of him by now.

But I'd like to see him playing the new PRS too.

Ye that’s kinda the direction I was thinking. If I had just had signature guitar released I’d be playing it everywhere.

But I guess only 200 were made and they all sold out so he doesn’t need to tout them…. I guess.

I must admit, I am super disappointed that they made only 200 of these. That means that they will be only unobtainable collector’s pieces. Boo.

You know how it goes, they sell out in a day or two for 6k and are on Reverb the next week for 10-15k.
So that's it? They made 200, sold them all, and they aren't going to make anymore?

That is correct. Limited run. Just like they did with the Joe Walsh SC594. That was either 200 or 250.
So mission accomplished. Sold them all.

Wonder what Robben thinks of the NF53?

Be cool to see a video of him comparing it to his '60 Tele.

That Tele of Robben's is not a string through body Tele.

The strings just go through the back of the bridge, not the back of the guitar.

Last edited:
So mission accomplished. Sold them all.

Wonder what Robben thinks of the NF53?

Be cool to see a video of him comparing it to his '60 Tele.

That Tele of Robben's is not a string through body Tele.

The strings just go through the back of the bridge, not the back of the guitar.
I'd love to hear his thoughts on the NF53!

A NF53 co-designed with Robben Ford would be a super cool guitar!

Wonder what changes he'd make?
The funny thing is that Robben doesn’t really like Telecasters. I mean, he has owned only that one Tele his entire life. One. That’s it. And he has gone through a lot of guitars (and still does).

So my guess is that he would change pretty much everything about the NF53…until it was a McCarty. :)

The funny thing is that Robben doesn’t really like Telecasters. I mean, he has owned only that one Tele his entire life. One. That’s it. And he has gone through a lot of guitars (and still does).

So my guess is that he would change pretty much everything about the NF53…until it was a McCarty. :)
Interesting theory.

Mike Bloomfield was one of Robben's guitar heroes...as Mike was for many of us older guys.

Mike played a Telecaster with Bob Dylan and with the Paul Butterfield Blues band.

Pretty sure Robben has always loved a good Tele.

Interesting theory.

Mike Bloomfield was one of Robben's guitar heroes...as Mike was for many of us older guys.

Mike played a Telecaster with Bob Dylan and with the Paul Butterfield Blues band.

Pretty sure Robben has always loved a good Tele.
Time to put on East West and The Work Song….. Actually I loved Elvin Bishop’s tone so much more with his ES345. Great player as well….. Mike must of had the treble on his Twin Reverb on 10 with his Tele…. Ouch

Back