Rhett Shull/guitar tech videos

Andrew Paul

The cat's meow
Hello all. I thought these two videos were worth sharing, some cool information. Not telling anyone to do any of this stuff, make up your own minds. Enjoy

Thanks for posting these two. Always good to see tips from pros. Interesting that Ben C does not believe that looping the string over to lock it improves tuning stability versus simply winding it. Coincidently, I was at a dinner party the other night and a guest who's a professional bluegrass player changed the strings and did a setup on the host's son's acoustic guitar. No lock, just winds. He swore it's as effective as doing the loop lock thing, and as Ben pointed out, way faster to remove the old strings. Hmmm.

Question for anyone out there though on cleaning with lighter fluid: Would naphtha hurt nitrocellulose lacquer finishes?

Thanks for posting these two. Always good to see tips from pros. Interesting that Ben C does not believe that looping the string over to lock it improves tuning stability versus simply winding it. Coincidently, I was at a dinner party the other night and a guest who's a professional bluegrass player changed the strings and did a setup on the host's son's acoustic guitar. No lock, just winds. He swore it's as effective as doing the loop lock thing, and as Ben pointed out, way faster to remove the old strings. Hmmm.

Question for anyone out there though on cleaning with lighter fluid: Would naphtha hurt nitrocellulose lacquer finishes?
Yeah, are used to wind my strings that way, and still do, for a while I tried the knot, and it was just a pain in the ass to remove strings. I never found any real benefit to using the knot but I don’t want to get into it with people on the back-and-forth.

I’ve never used lighter fluid on any finish, so I couldn’t tell you. But apparently it doesn’t harm the finishes according to the video.

Back